loader

Talk

Advanced search

GI diet- anyone got any tips?

(31 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Mon 10-Jan-05 12:03:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yoyo Mon 10-Jan-05 12:13:21

A couple of people on the "Which slimming programme to use" thread are doing it. I'm in the research phase!

Perhaps you could post on that for info. Good luck.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Jan-05 12:18:26

I will try and post some stuff later, but one of the things I do is often chuck a couple of handfuls of pearl barley in to most of the soups I make. This is a low GI food and it has really helped with my overall weight loss as I don't get hunger pangs.

I've been following a low GI programme and have lost 3 stone. I've finally found something which I don't feel is a diet and will be a way of eating long term.

grumpyfrumpy Mon 10-Jan-05 12:22:02

yoyo Mon 10-Jan-05 12:25:17

PTMD - That is fantastic! Congratulations. I don't have loads to lose but feel I need a healthier approach to food and cut out the refined stuff. From what I've read this would be a good one to follow. Does your family follow it too? The one thing that concerns me is the bread although there was a good recipe in The Sunday Times for one - do you eat ryebread? Can't imagine converting my lot - they'll eat wholewhite (or whatever it's called) but are suspicious about brown even!!

Grumpyfrumpy - I think you will get lots of feedback on this one so keep checking.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Jan-05 12:25:44

yes - will have to post later today if that's ok. I bought mine in Tesco tho' so it might be the one you are thinking of.

Plus, The Sunday Times started to run a low GI eating plan yesterday. There will be lots of nice recipes over the next few weeks - yesterday's are yum! I'll see what else I can come up with for you.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Jan-05 12:31:05

I have personally switched to pumpernickel - the rest of the crew are on wholemeal.

Dh has some meals the same as me. For the children, I've just made some adaptations - like wholewheat spaghetti and some brown rice in with white etc.

Anyway, will post more later - I hasten to add, I follow it but don't get obsessed by it - I have a good idea now of what are lo/med/high gi foods and as much as poss avoid high gi, eat some med gi and really scoff the low gi stuff (although because it doesn't spike your blood sugar you don't need to scoff that much!)

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Jan-05 20:51:37

Ok, have a bit more time now to post and do a link!

My number 1 tip is to avoid anything containing white flour. This is the thing that has really, really helped me. Stuff made with white flour is usually highly processed and has a high GI. I love crusty white bread etc, but since I cut it and other white flour products out, the weight has been really coming off.

For recipes, definitely get The Sunday Times from next week.

I've got 2 books which are good:

The GI Diet and Living the GI Diet (which has more recipes) and is on the Amazon page I've given a link to.

grumpyfrumpy Tue 11-Jan-05 12:29:20

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 11-Jan-05 14:54:55

I've managed to get all of them in Tesco. If you're not used to it, pumpernickel is a bit of an acquired taste, but I really like it now - very tasty.

chonky Wed 12-Jan-05 14:59:55

Quick question - Do you know if it is OK to drink a squash like Ribena Teeth Kind (has no added sugars & is only 7% blackcurrant juice)? I like the look of the GI diet, but I also have a HUGE Ribena addiction.

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 12-Jan-05 15:43:09

nor sure about Ribena chonky. I know unsweetened fruit juices like orange and apple are low GI, but they're obviously different.

happymerryberries Wed 12-Jan-05 16:06:03

I'm doing it and it is fab, very healthy too. Get a book, would be my advice. It is very easy to follow once you get into the swing of things. The GI values of things are reasonably easy to understand, but there are some odd things, like new potatoes being 'better' than baked. You to have to watch portions of protien foods and carbs, but most fruit and veg are limitless.

There is masses of variety on the diet and I have seldom felt hungry. I have lost 6 pounds in just over a week. It also seems to be a healtey life long plan, which I don't think is true of Atkins.

chonky Wed 12-Jan-05 17:23:02

Wow - way to go hmb!!! You've encouraged me to keep going.

Shame about the beena, would have been nice to have had one vice remaining

incywincy Wed 12-Jan-05 21:17:34

hi, have a look at this glycaemic index and this gi info for some food values. I will hopefully be trying this once baby is born.

Riebee Thu 13-Jan-05 09:30:45

Hi

I bought the Rick Gallop living the GI diet (2nd book) and it has been so useful as there are lots of recipes in the back.
It was recommended to me by a friend who doctor recommended it to her. She has lost an amazing 4 stone since October!
I love the food and find that I don't crave biscuits anymore in fact the other day I was craving a prawn rice recipe I do with salad...If you knew me you would understand how unbelievable that is
Even though it doesn't say it in the book my friend has a milky (skimmed) coffee at snack time and I find if you put splenda sweetner in it, it cures any cravings for a biccy. you can also add a drop of almond extract in it, grate some nutmeg on top and you could almost be in Starbucks

TracyK Fri 14-Jan-05 09:00:57

I missed the Sunday Times 1st week of the diet - did I miss any nice recipes? can I order a back copy of it? I msut remember to get it this sunday.

MrsBigD Fri 14-Jan-05 09:06:56

GF - have done GI for nearly 1 week now, will weigh in tomorrow and let you know the 'effects'... though I cheat a little as I don't eat wholemeal bread (but I stick with the portion sizes given) as dd is a food thieve and hates the stuff... so if I switch she'll eat even less

mum2twins Fri 14-Jan-05 10:05:48

this all sounds great think I will try too - but which book should I get you mention Gi 1 and 2?

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 14-Jan-05 10:16:48

The one called "Living the GI diet" by Rick Gallop is good because it has a lot of recipes in it. I do use both a lot though.

Get the Sunday times for the next few weeks too as their supplement on the diet is v good with lots of recipes.

piffle Fri 14-Jan-05 11:46:52

I ordered the Gallop books off amazon and another cook book too
I am finding it really easy and it is amazing how fast you stop craving late afternoon twix bars and amazingly it has stopped me wanting alcohol except a G+T after 8pm.
Now for me thats amazing!
I am not even overweight technically but I have lost 2lbs in just under a week already
I feel really healthy!
Am starting on Dh now he has a stone to lose...
The Sunday times supplement is so good, in the style section the recipes are fabulous, am deffo buying the Times again!

Riebee Fri 14-Jan-05 13:14:58

I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 4lbs in a week . I can't beleive that I no longer crave biscuits and I even found myself thinking 'that looks a nice piece of broccoli' when I was in the supermarket...v sad.
I found that the soup recipes benefit from a bit of skimmed milk added to them, it gives it a creamier taste and doesn't seem so watery.
Also you can buy Irish diet yogurts from Tesco's and Sainsburys. they are fat and sugar free and surprisingly yummy when mixed with the museli recipe.
My friend copied the Times supplement and sent it to me, there are some yummy things in there but if you missed the paper then I think you can pick up a booklet from Tesco which has all the recipes in and they are different than the ones in the gallop book. ooh so many fit and healthy people!! Having said that off to America in 2wks.....mmmmm pancakes

Riebee Fri 14-Jan-05 13:14:59

I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost 4lbs in a week . I can't beleive that I no longer crave biscuits and I even found myself thinking 'that looks a nice piece of broccoli' when I was in the supermarket...v sad.
I found that the soup recipes benefit from a bit of skimmed milk added to them, it gives it a creamier taste and doesn't seem so watery.
Also you can buy Irish diet yogurts from Tesco's and Sainsburys. they are fat and sugar free and surprisingly yummy when mixed with the museli recipe.
My friend copied the Times supplement and sent it to me, there are some yummy things in there but if you missed the paper then I think you can pick up a booklet from Tesco which has all the recipes in and they are different than the ones in the gallop book. ooh so many fit and healthy people!! Having said that off to America in 2wks.....mmmmm pancakes

mum2twins Fri 14-Jan-05 14:24:28

ooh sounds so good - I am almost excited now....(can I possibly be excited over a diet)

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 14-Jan-05 15:31:46

Well done piffle and Riebee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now