Talk

Advanced search

I am so depressed now, don't know if I can do it.

(26 Posts)
BubblesDeVere Fri 07-Jan-05 09:31:07

Well, I started my diet on Tuesday and so far have done FANTASTIC, i have been suffering headaches, but, i think that is because I have cut out cola, caffeine and alcohol, (I was drinking at least a bottle a night).

Well, I thought I had 10 stone to lose, which, is a feat in itself, but after weighing myself today, I find I don't need to lost 10 - but *11 stone*, I know its not that much in the scale of things, but my god, 11 stone, thats the equivalent of a full person, sat here now crying and wondering if I can really do this. I haven't had any breakfast yet, but daren't go into the kitchen in case I binge on sweet stuff, which I tend to do when upset.

Can't believe my husband loves me the way that I am, after all I am the weight of two people and 3 people if you count my best mates weight.

Carla Fri 07-Jan-05 09:51:34

Bubbles, I think you should be congratulating youself for how well you've done so far!!! An extra stone isn't much in the scheme of things - just think, that will be the first one to fall off! And your husband loves you because you're you!! FWIW, I'm all skin and bones and my husband detests me.

Good luck, and keep on here for moral support

coppertop Fri 07-Jan-05 09:57:53

You can do it, Bubbles. You've made a really good start already and you'll find that the extra 1 stone will come off very quickly.

Keep your eyes closed as you go past the sweet stuff and head straight for the cereal or whatever you're planning to have.

After breakfast go out for a short walk. It will make you feel better, will get you out of the house and will also be a bit of exercise.

I'm trying to lose weight too (don't dare tell you how much ) and have started using walking as my main exercise.

If you like you can sign up to the mumsnet pedometer club with me. Dh's fancy pedometer turned out to be useless so I'm now using a Poundshop one which works well. Get one at the weekend if you can and we'll start together on Monday. What do you think?

littlemissbossy Fri 07-Jan-05 10:00:11

Hi Bubbles, you are doing well - keep reminding yourself of that! So you've got another stone to lose, so what? you can do it if really want to. Now go get yourself a healthy breakfast and stick a picture of a previously slimmer you (this is what I've done) in the biscuit cupboard. The weight won't fall off, you have to keep to the diet as much as you can. I'm in Cod's slimming club and this year I am really going to stick to it because I hate being overweight and I've run out of excuses. Good luck Bubbles you can do it!

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 10:01:47

Bubbles - your weight does not define who you are - your dh fell in love with you not your body. Rather than looking at the total amount of weight you want to lose set yourself smaller acheivable targets and concentrate on those. Give yourself a reward for meeting those targets. What diet are you following as different diets can have different side effects such as headaches - especially early on. Another way to help yourself is to throw out all the sweet stuff that you might be tempted to binge on when you are feeling low. I have to get rid of savoury things such as crisps and cheeses as well as alcohol as these are the things that tempt me when i'm having a bad day.

monkeygirl Fri 07-Jan-05 10:13:54

Bubbles - ditto to what the others have said. You've started so well so there's no going back now. Don't aim to lose 11 stone but break it up into smaller goals which don't sound so daunting. Why don't you come over to the long-term slimmer thread as well? There are quite a few of us(including me!) who have several stones to lose and are in it for the long-haul.

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 07-Jan-05 10:27:41

Bubbles (((((((hugs))))))) to you.

When I finally got to the point "in my head" where I felt I could tackle the weight I have to lose, I too was overwhelmed - 8 and a half stone is a person too (the weight of my sister in fact).

What monkeygirl says is very important. You must break the weight up in to manageable goals. I'm attacking mine in groups of half a stone. I've lost 3st so far. I've stuck a bit since the beginning of Dec - went away, then Xmas and New Year, but have stayed in control and am now focusing on getting off what I put on over the last month.

You CAN do it hun, as long as you are not hard on yourself and break up the weight loss in to manageable goals.

If you like, I'll work with you - change my weigh in day to fit yours. I need all the help I can get too! .

I think you're doing brilliantly and of course your dh loves you - you're a wonderful person irrespective of what size you happen to be.

BubblesDeVere Fri 07-Jan-05 11:45:10

Thank you all for your lovely messages of support, it is so very daunting, and although I know exercise will do me good, I HATE going out of the house, one, because of the comments I get and two because I am so big, I sweat and my hair is wet through in minutes and it can be embarassing.

weightwatchingwaterwitch Fri 07-Jan-05 11:46:06

Hey but it will get better. I know the feeling but keep at it and the feeling will go away because it will change!

littlemissbossy Fri 07-Jan-05 11:48:17

Bubbles, how about doing an exercise video at home at first, until you feel a little more confident. You could then try an aquarobics class or a ladies-only swimming session - your local sports centre will probably have them. Good luck x

BubblesDeVere Fri 07-Jan-05 11:48:32

Must admit though since I've been on weight watchers, I've no longer had heartburn and seem to sleep better, I've also started taking Actimel this morning, at 0.5 points a bottle, its not too bad.

Kittypickle Fri 07-Jan-05 12:09:00

Bubbles, I know it seems really daunting but as the others say, try to break it down into half stones. Also, you've done the worse bit, facing the scales in the first place. In a few days time you will be back at them again and I bet you'll have a good lose to start you on the way to that first 7lbs. Also, get rid of the sweet stuff, if it's not there you can't eat it. When you want some, go out and buy it. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the exercise for a month or two. My friend is a WW leader and says don't try to do everything at once. Getting your head around and sticking to the points will be a fantastic start. Good luck

FatFluckerFio Fri 07-Jan-05 12:13:22

aww bubbles you can do it. It is so overwhelming though isnt it? i have done just crap this week and depression and stress makes me comfort eat. We just have to change the cycle. Sorry to be so nosey, but have you been to the GP? You do know you can get anti-obesity drugs prescribed dont you? and they can give you a free prescription to a slimming club (like WW) and a prescription for gym use

BubblesDeVere Fri 07-Jan-05 13:18:44

Really Fio? I didnt know that they could give a prescription to a gym or slimming club, I am doing WeightWatchers online, I have been to the weight clinic at our gp's and they asked if I was interested in Xenical, I said no as I have heard of some really really back side effects with them, so I am just going to try and do it by healthy eating and exercise.

FatFluckerFio Fri 07-Jan-05 14:14:56

yes its true bubbles, you can get a free prescription for them!

champs Fri 07-Jan-05 17:51:59

Hi bubbles, just adding my support to the thread.
I second Monkeygirls invitation, come to the long term slimmers thread anytime. We all have varrying amounts of weight to loose and I for one need to loose a person too. I get depressed thinking about it too and know how you feel.
May I add to everyone else's sugestion of cutting the weight you have to loose into chunks, you have made the first step which is by far the hardest, you can do this and you will.

moondog Fri 07-Jan-05 18:00:53

Bubles, just want to add my support (esp. as you smiled at my mobile phone story.
Just think how great it will be to leave the house without felling hot and sweaty and self conscious. Focus on feeling that you are FREEING yourself from that weight, not that you are DEPRIVING yourself of food.

You can do it,(esp. with the support of lovely sounding dh!)

Dior Fri 07-Jan-05 20:00:15

Message withdrawn

BubblesDeVere Sat 08-Jan-05 08:32:25

Well, I got weighed this morning and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I expected (only by a couple of pounds lol). So onwards and upwards (or downwards in case of the weight).

PuffTheMagicDragon Sat 08-Jan-05 09:27:35

That's good Bubbles.

I was dreading getting on the scales after Xmas etc, but it wasn't so bad after all.

Twiglett Sat 08-Jan-05 09:50:54

Slimming World does this 10% thing which I think is good

rather than looking at the final figure look at losing 10% of your current body weight .. arrange a treat in mind that you can have (facial?) when you acheive 10% weight loss .. and then just re-set for another 10%

and keep hold of the fact that every single pound off is a POUND OFF .. a whole pound that you no longer have to carry around on your body

BubblesDeVere Mon 10-Jan-05 15:48:38

Well,

After a couple of bad days I am well and truly back on the wagon.

DH saw how upset I was about coming off plan and took me into town, he filled the trolley with fresh fruit, veg and stuff that he came make meals for me from. I also got some Actimel 0.1%.

I got the chinese detox patches today, they have to be used for 7 consecutive nights and are supposed to get rid of all the toxins that normal everyday eating and drinking healthily doesn't get rid off.

So, hopefully, these patches will help me get the rubbish from my system and get rid of these headaches.

monkeygirl Mon 10-Jan-05 15:58:56

Your dh sounds lovely - can you clone him and send one over please?

BubblesDeVere Mon 10-Jan-05 16:09:03

, you wouldn't want him when he is in a grumpy mood my dear. He is good, I just wish he'd try and eat healthily himself, he could do with losing some weight, and lives off chips, and fried breakfasts.

monkeygirl Mon 10-Jan-05 16:15:43

Can't you get him to join you? My dh is dieting with me this time and it has made a HUGE difference to my will-power - in fact the lucky b**r has lost nearly 10 pounds in as many days!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now