Talk

Advanced search

Healthy, low fat savoury snacks.......

(23 Posts)
Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 12:13:25

ok I've started my attempt to lose weight - but I've got a problem. I do like fruit, but I'm not a huge fan (eat stacks of vegetables though LOL) and prefer savoury snacks when I'm feeling peckish - unfortunately those usually include pate or cheese on crackers, toast, etc etc - can anyone recommend anything that's more healthy, but savoury for me to snack on???

collision Mon 03-Jan-05 12:17:10

snackajacks are lovely and Low fat.
Melba toast with marmite or lf cream cheese
Quavers and skips are lf too

SPARKLER1 Mon 03-Jan-05 12:17:47

On Slimming World diet - I enjoy the Ryvita Minis.

Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 12:17:56

skips - are you kidding? I always thought they were really high in fat!!!

bonniej Mon 03-Jan-05 12:18:01

rice cakes can be quite good, or twiglets (in moderation) aren't too bad. marmite on crispbreads is also a good one, if you like marmite. Anyway I'm not one to give good advice as i need to lose a stone myself! good luck

Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 12:18:32

I'm afraid you can keep the marmite - don't even have it in the house as I can't stand the smell LOL

collision Mon 03-Jan-05 12:19:49

On WW Quavers & skips are only 2pts per pack which is really low if you are a crispoholic!!!

SPARKLER1 Mon 03-Jan-05 12:22:18

Gwenick - are you following a weight loss plan or just cutting down on your own?

Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 12:24:25

Just cutting down on my own - lost 3st on my own before having DS2 so I know I can do it again if I really want to. I know you're all going to disagree with me but I don't like all of these programmes - from watching friends use them it's easy to do while you're losing the weight - but if you haven't actually made a 'real' change to your eating habits the weight can easily go back on afterwards.

I just want to find a healthier diet that I can stick to.

Enid Mon 03-Jan-05 12:56:20

I drink miso soup which is a bit of an aquired taste but I think its lovely (although dont listen to me as I also need to lose weight ).

Also lo fat natural yogurt and coddy recommends crackers with a tiny bit of mango chutney and lo fat philedelphia.

KatieinSpain Mon 03-Jan-05 13:30:48

Gwenick - how much are you trying to lose this time? How long did that 3 stone take you before DS2? Do you exercise much?
I'm hoping to shift two stone, post(very post )DS2, over the next four months so am looking out for inspiration. I'm sure DP once roasted up chickpeas as a snack, if you're interested I'll get the recipe.

pootlepod Mon 03-Jan-05 13:40:26

Walkers french fries are low too, on WW 1.5 points. Also poppadoms done in the microwave are 'cheap', 0.5 points. Because you 'cook' them, they feel more of a filling snack. Will try to think of some more.

sanchpanch Mon 03-Jan-05 17:45:33

i enjoy, ww malted danish bread toasted (1/2 point per slice) with dairy lea light spread thinly on,) i sometimes have 4 of these in evening then bag of caramel snack a jacks 2 points

NewbarnsleygirlWalliams Mon 03-Jan-05 17:47:42

My friend has started to buy these new Pesto bites from M&S. She's a nutritionist and obsessed with high fat foods so I would imagine they'd be ok.

Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 18:40:40

oh np Don't tell me Walkers French Fries are ok - that's how I put half of this weight on while pg - I had cravings for them and was eating, the salt and vinegar flavour, up to 6 or 7 packs a day!!! Not going ANYWHERE near them now LOL.

Katie - I'm trying to lost between 1 1/2st - 2st - hopefully I'll get back down to just a few pounds heavier than pre DS1 (I was 'too' skinny before I had him - 7st!) aiming for about 7 1/2st.

The 3st took about 2yrs - but to be honest for a lot of that I wasn't really trying to lose it, and comfort ate for a long section half way between DS1 being born and him hitting 2yrs old. I think I had PND - but wouldn't admit it to anyone, put looking back that's probably what it was!

I do 'try' and exercise - although don't get to a gym or anything a) none close b) the only 'local' one that does the discounts is in a VERY dodgy area where I wouldn't like being on my own. I do have a gym ball and video (Which I've done once since DS2 was born - he's 13 months old!), and also have a rowing maching (just a cheapy one) which I enjoy using when I remember. I don't drive, so I walk everywhere I go, including taking DS1 to nursery every afternoon.

It seems we're quite similar - don't know how 'post' DS2 you're trying to lose weight - but mine is 13 months and counting LOL. I've not set a time frame - just 'this year' - which is just as well as I had to laught when I got the scales this morning - had lost 4oz in 2days.........at that rate I might 'just' be down to the weight I want by Christmas next year LOL.

Poottle - poppodoms sound like a good idea - sort of thing I like to munch on - I just want to find something that I enjoy - and will be able to continue even once the weight has gone

KatieinSpain Mon 03-Jan-05 20:03:31

DS2 is also 13 months, and as DS1 is 2 and a half I haven't dieted in any of that time, and the two stone is definitely over-indulging. I have more of a sweet tooth but like crisps, nuts and alcohol to boot .
I used to jog and swim. Did 6 weeks of exercise last summer - at a brilliant gym with a great creche - but have since moved and just have to get motivated again.
How often are you weighing yourself? Well done for that 4 oz, I am , as until I start losing, I worry the weight will just keep rising! I have hit the sticks (cucumber, pepper, carrot variety) in the last few days as I can share them with DS1 and 2, even had some asparagus yesterday. Do any veggies grab you?
Looking forward to more ideas for warding my cream cake-chocolate attacks off.

Dior Mon 03-Jan-05 20:23:56

Message withdrawn

Furball Mon 03-Jan-05 20:39:43

Chopped veg's with a low fat dip like humous, tzatziki or salsa.

Gwenick Mon 03-Jan-05 22:31:13

Katie - I started 'dieting' (should really be 'cutting down') on the 1st January and 'try' to weigh myself once a week.......HOWEVER, although I DO wash everyday - I only usually shower every other day - and so do have submit to the temption to get the scales out LOL - quite pleased with my 4oz - and SO pleased that DH bought me my digital scales that measure lb's and oz's

Dior - I'm 5ft 'just' - and small bones.

Might give the veggies a go - although I prefer steamed veggies to raw ones.

KatieinSpain Tue 04-Jan-05 08:17:37

I'm petite, OK short, too - 5ft 2 and always feel best when I'm at the lower end of the "ideal" weight scale. Yes, I hear the scales call, but find it demoralising when I haven't lost so I am trying to limit myself to a weigh in once a week.
This week I am trying to plan and write down my meals the night before, so I don't get tempted by the contents of the fridge. I'm finding it quite hard with two little ones in the house as I don't feel I can banish all the goodies. Then, there is the finishing-off-their-food-syndrome . Any more tips just to add variety to what is going to be a long-haul weight loss? I'm moving onto soups today - got Nigel Slater out - well, if I am going to eat less, it had better taste good! Have you tried asparagus/poached egg on toast?

handlemecarefully Tue 04-Jan-05 09:32:20

Has anyone mentioned pretzels - they are pretty low in fat (about 3% I think)

Gwenick Tue 04-Jan-05 09:35:38

I already plan my meals (well evening ones anyhow) one week in advance - breakfast I have to confess I skip most days do you plan your lunch as well? Or just main meal?

I have to say I've NEVER finished off their food -it's just never appealed to me to eat stone cold food that's been pushed around the plate for 1hr LOL.

I did really well yesterday - I often snack in the evenings while on the computer - got up this morning and realised I ate NOTHING after dinner last night YAY

KatieinSpain Tue 04-Jan-05 13:39:19

handlemecarefully - I think you're right about pretzels, but they are one of those snacks that when I start, I just can't stop!
Gwenick - yes, I am planning them all. If I didn't, toast and butter would feature frequently at breakfast,(need a mmmm face here!).
I'm actually trying to avoid most snacks, too, because I start off saying just a handful but inevitably cave in and eat half a packet, at least. I'd like to re-introduce them and some of my other favourite goodies when I'm doing some regular exercise and can still guarantee losing some of this extra weight.
So, evening snack-attacks are common to you too? Recently, I have found myself standing in front of the cupboards, once the boys are in bed, looking for comfort food to munch - a treat or something to keep me going. I know the triggers but that doesn't stop me. Mind you, I am feeling strong right now - day 3 - long may it last!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now