Talk

Advanced search

dumb questions about carbohydrates

(4 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 21-Dec-04 16:54:39

Just sorting out my new year's resolutions (!) and have decided to try to stick to a carbs curfew (i.e. no carbs after 17h each day (figure it worked for my MIL who was ENORMOUS!)). But am a bit confused about what is on the don't touch list - can anyone tell me what will be off-limits? So far I've got:

- bread (but can I eat wholegrain stuff?)
- buscuits (this is the one that is going to kill me - are we sure Jaffa cakes are carbs?)
- pasta (but can I eat wholewheat pasta?)
- potatoes

anything else? - is chocolate on or off-limits? + what about wine?

vict17 Tue 21-Dec-04 16:56:26

pretty sure it no bread and pasta at all!

BRANdybutter Tue 21-Dec-04 17:05:30

Chocolate is generally considered to have a high carb content, except for the very dark, bitter type with at least 70% cocoa solids. I'm not sure about wine, but I think it counts as a carb as it has quite a high sugar content.

You might need to buy a book about it/look it up on the internet (or ask your MIL for a list) as some things have a lot of carb that you wouldn't expect, carrots for example.

Aniles Tue 21-Dec-04 17:08:01

I'd say it's basically anything that contains either starch (complex carbohydrate eg flour/rice/pasta/potatoe) or sugar (simple carbohydrate)

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now