Talk

Advanced search

dumb questions about carbohydrates

(4 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 21-Dec-04 16:54:39

Just sorting out my new year's resolutions (!) and have decided to try to stick to a carbs curfew (i.e. no carbs after 17h each day (figure it worked for my MIL who was ENORMOUS!)). But am a bit confused about what is on the don't touch list - can anyone tell me what will be off-limits? So far I've got:

- bread (but can I eat wholegrain stuff?)
- buscuits (this is the one that is going to kill me - are we sure Jaffa cakes are carbs?)
- pasta (but can I eat wholewheat pasta?)
- potatoes

anything else? - is chocolate on or off-limits? + what about wine?

vict17 Tue 21-Dec-04 16:56:26

pretty sure it no bread and pasta at all!

BRANdybutter Tue 21-Dec-04 17:05:30

Chocolate is generally considered to have a high carb content, except for the very dark, bitter type with at least 70% cocoa solids. I'm not sure about wine, but I think it counts as a carb as it has quite a high sugar content.

You might need to buy a book about it/look it up on the internet (or ask your MIL for a list) as some things have a lot of carb that you wouldn't expect, carrots for example.

Aniles Tue 21-Dec-04 17:08:01

I'd say it's basically anything that contains either starch (complex carbohydrate eg flour/rice/pasta/potatoe) or sugar (simple carbohydrate)

HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: