Talk

Advanced search

Best weight loss plan while breastfeeding?

(8 Posts)
Wudgy Sun 13-Sep-20 19:45:20

Hi my baby is 4 weeks old but due to complications during section and further surgery I am still fair immobile and can’t go out for walks or do any exercise yet . I am finding myself eating chocolate and junk everyday for energy and as a result haven't lost much weight yet other than initial birth weight. Considering I’m breastfeeding baby what do u think would be best for weight loss- counting calories, 5:2, low carb etc?
I previously did 5:2 and found it super easy and effective but worried not good idea while breastfeeding. Any advice? Unfortunately I’m not one of these people who lose weight just by breastfeeding, struggled after my first pregnancy and actually put on weight!!

OP’s posts: |
veryvery Sun 13-Sep-20 19:49:35

I think you need to ensure you get really good nutrition. Focus on healthy eating. A good amount of fruit and veg, good amount of protein, some whole grains. You often find you lose weight with bf anyway. But I can't stress how much you need the nutrition from your food to be able to feed and care for your baby. If you cut out anything I would I cut out added sugar which you don't need for nutrition.

veryvery Sun 13-Sep-20 19:55:03

I see you found you didn't lose weight with breast feeding alone. So cut the sugar which puts weight on and don't over eat. This article says you need 500 cals extra whilst BF

https://www.nursinginpractice.com/clinical/diet-and-nutrition-requirements-when-breastfeeding/

So you could use a basic FitBit and add 500 cals extra on your burn to ensure you don't over eat. But I would concentrate on not putting weight on rather than losing weight right now.

Craddle64 Sun 13-Sep-20 19:57:02

Slimming world

veryvery Sun 13-Sep-20 20:07:27

Craddle, I disagree with doing an actual weight loss diet whist BF without some proper advice from a HCP. You really do need good nutrition or your supply might be affected.

passthemustard Sun 13-Sep-20 22:29:58

Just cut out the junk and chocolate and try to slowly up your activity level as and when you're able.

Wudgy Mon 14-Sep-20 02:25:29

Thanks for the replies, I agree proper nutrition is so important- my mail meals are absolutely fine and balanced and healthy it’s all the snacking I’m doing in between which is the issue! I think il try a weeK of concentrated effort of much less snacking and more water and see how I go! Il maybe download mfp again to I get a good idea of Cals as well and nutrition levels etc x thank u! Will report back after a week !!

OP’s posts: |
veryvery Mon 14-Sep-20 08:13:08

If you are actually very hungry between meals it maybe that you need more protein/fat to satiate your appetite, proportionally, over carbs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in