Talk

Advanced search

does anyone do aquafit/aqua aerobics?

(8 Posts)
LadyVictoriaOfCake Sun 30-Sep-07 22:08:43

just looking at times etc for local pool. the low intensity beginners classes actually run at a time suitable to me. is once a week really enough? should i add some basic swimming in once or twice a week as well?

will be doing in this alongside dieting as well.

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 30-Sep-07 22:23:44

I used to do this before local pool closed last year - its brilliant excercise as you can work it as hard as you want to without lots of weight on your joints.
But like any kind of work out, once a week is not enough and for osteoparosis etc you should maybe do some load bearing stuff as well?
If you need low intensity then brisk walking with your chest out and arms swinging is the best thing and its free.

fishie Sun 30-Sep-07 22:28:09

it is very good as a starting point to get used to exercising regularly for a fixed length of time. three times is good, four better.

what you want to do will vary with your fitness, daylight hours, time available etc. swimming takes longest but i find most friendly. running is quickest but maybe not for a beginner.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sun 30-Sep-07 22:34:04

i am too wobbly to run blush, but would like to start once i get the first 3stone or so off.

its trying to find session to fit in with kids etc. the other sessions for medium/high workouts are all evenings anyway.

so if i add 2 normal swim sessions in of at least 30mins eachtime, each week, would that be good?

really must sort out my bike as well

fishie Sun 30-Sep-07 22:38:57

yes. what you shoudl aim for is 3 sessions of exercise a week. what you do in them should be interesting and fairly hard work and you can change it.

but you must set time aside and make it a habit or it won't work. so everything set up for your absence and you must go when you say you will.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sun 30-Sep-07 22:41:30

atm, i can go on thursday for normal swim as dh mum takes him to transplant clinic, but will need to check out the creche at the pool for dd3 or a regular sitter for an hour. not sure what other day i can do.

will work on it though

brimfull Sun 30-Sep-07 22:43:11

if there is a body pump class at your local rec I would really recommend it.It is weights to music and really easy to get the hang of.

It helped me to lose weight that wasn't budging despite walking miles and miles.

If you increase your muscles your resting metabolism increases and you'll tone up quickly.

I have done aquafit but agree if you want to get fit you'll need to do more than one a week.

A combination of swimming.aqua aerobics and something else would be ideal.

nikkid21 Mon 01-Oct-07 16:44:53

I can reccomend spinning classes. But make sure that you start off with a half hour beginners one

They are cycling classes on stationery bikes that have a freewheel. Basically you keep control of how fast you go or how hard it is to pedal - so you can tailor it to your own fitness level. Because it's cycling it's low impact on the joints but you may want to buy a gel saddle!

My instructor claims that a 45 minute class where you work flat out burns over 600 calories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now