Best low(er) calorie treat meals

(5 Posts)
AIMD Thu 11-Jun-20 09:17:08

Friday night is ‘chips and film’ night in our house. I want to join in the take away and film eve but I wondered if there was a take away option that was better than others in terms of calories (I know none will be great but I’m sure some are worse than others).

Any suggestions on options?
How do you join in with take away nights/celebrations without smashing your weekly effort to shreds?

OP’s posts: |
TeaAndASitDown Thu 11-Jun-20 09:22:46

This isn't quite what you're asking I don't think but, for me, this has been about removing the association between food and 'treats'. I grew up thinking that cake and chocolate and takeaways were big treats to reward yourself at the end of a long week etc. I've not wanted this mindset for myself or my children any more.

A 'treat' for your body is healthy good food. For easy Friday night food, you could make yourself a stir fry perhaps? Or veg and dips?

Takeaway wise, if you eat meat, dry tandoori type meats from a curry house are a low cal low fat option.

AIMD Thu 11-Jun-20 11:35:55

@TeaAndASitDown that’s a really good point and very true for me. I have similar associations between sugary foods and treats from childhood. I fear I am passing them on as I often give my kids a treat of sugary food. It’s a really good point that I have though about before and want to think about more.

Nice to know better options for times when I might want to join in with a take away though.

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:59:15

Just makes some at home - a million times healthier and cheaper- and they're quick and easy -

Slice up a couple of baking potates nice and finely (over an inch long but no more than 1cm wide). Put on a piece of baking parchment and season with salt, pepper (/paprika etc if you have any). No need for any oil.
Bake for about 20 mins (at about 160degC) careful they don't burn- turn in the middle.

Serve with Tomato ketchup or salsa.

Yum yum yum!

AIMD Thu 11-Jun-20 18:48:04

@MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 might try that tomorrow night. Surely it will be better than deep fried chips.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in