Talk

Advanced search

Anyone point me in the right direction for TDEE & BMT calculator?

(7 Posts)
OwlPop Mon 18-May-20 15:09:43

I'd be grateful if anyone could help please. How on earth do you work this stuff out?

OP’s posts: |
OwlPop Mon 18-May-20 15:10:04

BMR!

maxelly Mon 18-May-20 15:17:04

This tdeecalculator.net/ or thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ both work well, just input your vitals, height weight etc and off you go. The latter is on a 5:2 website but the figures will be right. It can be slightly difficult to know what activity bracket you fit into but if in doubt go for the lower end...

Are you asking also what the difference is between TDEE and BMR?

OwlPop Mon 18-May-20 16:31:44

Thanks very much, that's helpful.

Well I think one is your calorie expenditure simply by being alive and breathing. And the other is the deficit you need to lose weight. Or also to see how to maintain etc

OwlPop Mon 18-May-20 16:33:46

I also never know how active I am! Not very really! I walk 10k a day, or around 15k steps. So I consider that lightly active

maxelly Mon 18-May-20 16:47:44

I'd agree, I think you are lightly active too.

You pretty much have it. As I understand it, the BMR is as you say, the amount your body needs to perform essential functions to stay alive (breathing etc) before accounting for any movement at all. Which is not to say that if you eat less than your BMR on any given day you'll die grin but your body would need to start depleting its stores to replace the energy you are not gaining from calories. Generally it is not a good idea to eat less than your BMR consistently over a long period of time (fasting types diets where you eat less than BMR one day but then eat 'normally' the next few days seem OK), unless you are doing a specific VLCD (very low calorie diet) prescribed by a doctor or GP.

TDEE is your BMR plus an amount on top to account for exercise - which is why the activity categories are a bit of a guess and will fluctuate slightly day by day depending on your activity, and everyone's body metabolises at slightly different rates so unless you have access to some lab testing equipment it will be a bit of a guess. If you knew you TDEE was 100% accurate and you ate exactly that number of calories every day, you will maintain your current weight. If you eat less you will in theory lose weight and if you eat more you will gain (again talking over a period of time here not day to day fluctuations).

Most calorie counting diets and apps work by working out your TDEE, then subtracting an amount (depending on how quickly you want to lose weight), to give a daily 'allowance' which is somewhere in between your BMR and TDEE, the bigger the subtraction the quicker you will lose weight in theory but the harder it is to stick to long term.

Do bear in mind that as you lose weight both your TDEE and your BMR will reduce (bigger bodies take more energy to maintain) so particularly if you have a lot to lose, do make sure to update every so often smile Good luck!

OwlPop Mon 18-May-20 16:51:49

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that.

Well I have a couple of stone left to lose after losing almost 3 recently so I'm slowly getting there. I've worked it out using the above calculators and my TDEE is 2006 cals taking into account my light activity and my BMR is 1459 so I think I'm on the right track by eating about 1400 calories a day which is what I've been doing for the past 3 months, give or take

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in