Exercising to loose weight

(6 Posts)
Cyclingtogetfit Fri 10-Apr-20 11:41:22

For the past few years, I've always turned to diets to loose weight (Cambridge, Exante, Fasting etc.). But it never works (for me at least) and I slowly gain it all back. I'm also incredibly unfit and so I feel so unmotivated to exercise, because it's bloody hard work to begin with!

But, about three months ago I decided to start cycling. I hopped on the bike one day and managed to do around 30 minutes, on a slight incline, before nearly passing out. The next day I did the same, which I continued doing, until a week later I found I could cycle for twice as long. A week after that I could do 2 hours on the bike and three months later I'm considering doing 90km (mostly uphill)!!!

I haven't lost much weight at all, maybe around 3-4kg, but I've toned up significantly and more importantly I'm starting to feel fit and so much happier, which in turn spurs me to keep going and to lead a healthier lifestyle. For the first time since starting my weight loss journey, I feel like I'm heading in the right direction and making a positive change to my lifestyle and outlook on life. So, this is kind of a motivational message to anyone who's looking to do the same thing. It's hard to begin with, you sweat, you get incredibly red in the face and you might pant after taking your first step... but everyday gets easier, until you start to find it breezy (which I never dreamed of saying) and you have to look for harder challenges! So, whatever exercise you choose to do, walking, running, swimming, cycling, circuits in your garden, or just dancing in your living room... it will get better, you will tone up and you will get fitter!

If anyone is doing anything similar I'd love to hear how it's going? Or if you want some daily motivation let me know!!

OP’s posts: |
Cyclingtogetfit Fri 10-Apr-20 11:50:24

Also, I totally acknowledge this has worked for me and others might find it harder to follow/do and one size doesn't fit all! I just felt when I started, a positive outcome like this would have really helped and motivated me.

And also to say diets like Cambridge etc. can work for people, I've seen some really great results from others... but it just sadly didn't work me sad.

mochojoes Fri 10-Apr-20 11:53:45

I need to get motivated, I was in the best shape of my life when I went to exercise classes 4/5 a week & ate a normal diet, as opposed to dieting by itself. I miss my tone & strength, I have a cross trainer so aiming to do 30 mins a day

YoungBritishPissArtist Fri 10-Apr-20 12:05:17

A similar thread a couple of days ago mentioned Leslie Sansone, who does lower impact work outs on YouTube. I’m going to give that a go!

mochojoes Fri 10-Apr-20 12:11:54

ooh i will check that out as even at my fittest I couldn't stand burpees

Cyclingtogetfit Fri 10-Apr-20 12:37:45

@mochojoes I hadn't realised how much I'd missed being fit either!! 30 minutes a day sounds great... I've been listening to story tapes as I go and the time flies by smile.

@YoungBritishPissArtist I'll have a look now! I need add some arm and core fitness to my training routine...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in