Talk

Advanced search

Going to Slimming World tonight for first time. Going shopping today (not great timing, I know) - what sort of things should I fill the trolley with?

(16 Posts)
MamaG Wed 29-Aug-07 08:36:09

If you can just give me some guidance on what sort of stuff is OK, I would be v grateful

Am veggie BTW so will probably be doing green days (according to mIL!)

MamaG Wed 29-Aug-07 08:44:10

pleeeeeeease

lumpychump Wed 29-Aug-07 08:56:39

Batchelors savoury rice
Fry light
Weetabix
Ryvita high fibre crackerbread
Ryvita original/dark rye/seseme
Beans
Tins of peas, sweetcorn, carrots, mixed veg
Quorn sausages and mince
Muller yogurts
Tons of fruit and veg
Lean bacon, lean mince, chicken breasts
Sandwich meat (i.e. wafer thin ham, turkey, chicken etc)
Passata
Eggs
Soy sauce, worcestershire sauce
Skimmed milk or soy milk
Laughing cow light cheese triangles
Small sweet snacks - low syn (I like small bags of maltesers)
Potatos
Rich tea biscuits (reduced fat) 2 syns each
Sweetners
Porridge (I like Ready Brek)

Hmmm - that should get you started! You'll get the hang of it though and get your own favourites.

Good luck!!

lumpychump Wed 29-Aug-07 08:57:53

Ohh and dried egg noodles and batchelors fat free noddles - god send when hungry on a green day!

fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 08:59:38

make sure you have something to eat before going shopping.....my nan always says that to me, if your belly is satisfied in asda then you wont want to buy so much crap

Pixiefish Wed 29-Aug-07 09:00:17

On green days you can have loads of fruit and veg. Pasta, Jackets, noodles, kidney beans, tomatoes, mushrooms.
Muller light yoghurt is a free food as are pasta in sauce and supernoodles. Things like quorn sausages and burgers are free foods but be careful of things that you might think are free like mushroom bakes etc

Limits on cheese, milk and bread.

ledodgy Wed 29-Aug-07 09:01:25

Rice
Pasta
wholemeal bread (buy nimble or weight watchers if you wnat to have more slices)
cous cous
tinned tomatoes
quorn mince
quorn pieces
quorn burgers
quorn sausages (cumberland are the nicest imo)
veg in abundance
egg noodles
eggs
potatoes
fry light (don't forget this!!!!)
Cheese either normal full fat or half fat if you want twice as much)
heinz meanz beans sweet chilli flavour or mexican flavour
kidney beans
fruit lots of it especially melons, strawberries and pineapple which are super speed foods.
cereals you can ahve as a healthy extra include bran flakes, porridge oats, weetabix
alpen light bars you can have two as a healthy extra.
crisps that are low syn are french fries, skips, potato heads.
buy vodka or gin instead of wine and mix with slim line tonic or be aware that there are 24 syns in a bottle of white and 26 in a bottle of red and allow this in your weekly syn amount (weekly syn amount is upto 105 syns you may find it easier counting them weekly rather than daily as some days you will want more)

Will that do you for now? grin

lumpychump Wed 29-Aug-07 09:03:43

oh yeah - alpen light bars are lush
Don't forget to get some hifi bars if you're joining a class!

MamaG Wed 29-Aug-07 09:13:27

WOW thank you sooo much! I've just been immersed in the SW thread

This is great, it will be much easier to shop now! Luckily DH said he'll eat whatever I eat if that makes sense, so I won't be drooling over his stuff!

PS Waht the blob is a hifi bar?!

lumpychump Wed 29-Aug-07 16:25:48

hifi bas are like cereal bars you can only buy at slimming world. Loads of different flavours and £1.25 for 3 bars. They can be counted as a healthy extra or 6 syns. They are tasty and full of fibre and vitamins etc. They also fill you up for a bit so a great snack!

HTH!

lynds2509 Thu 30-Aug-07 18:29:51

Hi forgive me for asking but i cant get my head around the super noodles thing, are they free on green day, cos i looked on the slimming world web page and they said 6 syns per pack ?? bit confused, any help please.....

zmandaz Thu 30-Aug-07 19:23:46

Not sure about super noodles but Mug Shots are lovely and the 1% fat ones are free on green days. I also love making my own potato wedges - just chop a potato into wedges, spray with Fry Light and add a pinch of Cajun spices then put them in the oven for half an hour on a high heat. I buy in a lot of pasta, potatoes, rice, passatta, spices, veg and Quorn products. I've found the Green recipe book and the Free Food Feasts book really helpful and the recipes are lovely! I'd recommend the magazine too if you haven't already looked at it as there's loads of menu plans with shopping lists and recipe suggestions.

lumpychump Fri 31-Aug-07 13:57:11

The only free batchelors noodles are the 98% fat free onces. The normal ones are not unfortunately as I love them! You can also get a noodles to go 98% fat free which are OK if you're in a rush and hungry!

lynds2509 Fri 31-Aug-07 18:37:49

Thanks for clearing that up about the super noodles, i nearly had some today but had some pasta in sauce instead, glad i did really, as i would have gone over my sins for today... anyway any suggestions for red day lunches as i am sick of salads, they never seem to fill me up, but i need to add a few more red days as i normally stick to green days cos they are easier and more filling!!

lumpychump Fri 31-Aug-07 20:36:13

large ham mushroom onion onion with HE cheese on top
HE serving of ryvita high fibre crackerbread with cheese spread and ham (v filling as you can have 7 crackerbreads!)
tuna sarnie

I struggle with red days too but try and do alternative so as not to get bored!

ledodgyfireworksingedmyeyebrow Mon 09-Nov-09 10:11:06

2 tbs veg oil
2 veg stock cubes (I only use about 1.5 thoug)
2 medium onions chopped
2 eating apples peeled and grates
3 tbsp tomato puree
2 medium carrots grated
1/2 pint of water
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp of dried mustard (I use 1 tsp of dijon)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp brown sugar
450 grams cooked red kidney beans

Heat oil in non stick pan, add stock cubes, onions, apples and carrots. Saute for 5 mins whilst stirring continuously.
Mix tomato pure with the water and add together with all the other ingredients apart from the beans.

stir well and cover and simmer for 2 mins.

add the benas and tip mixture into ovenproof casserole dish.

cover and cook on 180 or gas mark 4 for 35-40 mins add more water after 20 mins if necessary.

Its nice wit sour cream on top but if you're watching calories use total 0% greek yoghurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now