Talk

Advanced search

If you count calories to lose weight, what's your daily target?

(47 Posts)
Elloello Wed 16-Oct-19 15:12:32

Just that really. I've got mfp, but some places say go low! Others say don't go low! You'll never keep it up! Don't eat carbs/gluten/fat... sad
Gaaah! I keep looking for books to read to sort out the headwork side of things, but ultimately if I do t cut calories one way or another, I won't ever lose!

SurfnTerfFantasticmissfoxy Wed 16-Oct-19 15:16:29

1000-1200 or nothing shifts.

Awittyusernameishardtofind Wed 16-Oct-19 15:17:15

Hi. If you use the nhs BMI calculator that tells you how many calories you can have to burn 1-2 lbs a week

HoneysuckIejasmine Wed 16-Oct-19 15:17:19

1200 according to mfp, 1350 according to tdeecalculator.net

I select low activity then eat back most of the calories from exercise so I can come in under 1200 net but not actually starve. So I'll earn 400 cals, giving me 1600 total, then eat 1400. Net, that's 1000 a day.

OkayGo Wed 16-Oct-19 15:18:58

1200. I do sometimes go over but if I aim for 1200 I usually won't go over 1400-1500 which is also ok for losing. I've lost 2 and a half stone already

peachgreen Wed 16-Oct-19 15:19:12

1200, but 1000 ideally. I don't allow myself extra calories for exercise. That's the only way I can ever lose weight and it's fucking miserable. But it works.

HoneysuckIejasmine Wed 16-Oct-19 15:19:12

I can also recommend the fitness chef on Instagram for no nonsense advice on maintaining a calorie deficit without doing a fad diet.

Elloello Wed 16-Oct-19 16:35:09

How do you know you've burned 400 calories @Honeysucklejasmine ? Do you have a fitbit or is that from mfp? I've started doing mutu but it won't be 400 calories.
Sounds like 1000-1200 is the most trusted way? What's a typical weekday vs a weekend? Do you still have a glass of wine? I should just stop it completely really I know but it's nice to have the choice.

NeedAnExpert Wed 16-Oct-19 16:35:44

I do fast 800 when I’m losing weight.

gamerchick Wed 16-Oct-19 16:37:29

1200 max for me. But I've found the older I get it won't kick-start unless I start off at 800. It's miserable.

Autumnfresh Wed 16-Oct-19 16:38:22

Depends what you have to lose. A stone I’d suggest 1000-1200, 3 stone 1200-1400, anything more to lose 1400-1800. Don’t start to low as you’ll have nowhere to go.

thenightsky Wed 16-Oct-19 16:38:23

800 to 1,000 to lose. 1,200 to maintain.

Ellabella989 Wed 16-Oct-19 16:40:33

Depends how tall you are too and how much exercise you do etc.
I’m 5ft 6 and a size 14 and fairly sedentary. If I stick to 1300 every day then I lose 1 pound a week

Pipandmum Wed 16-Oct-19 16:46:37

I do MFP and it’s calories in vs calories out - doesn’t really matter what calories but of course eating three healthy meals beats eating four candy bars. I find their exercise calories too generous and don’t match when I double check with other sport specific sites. I am allowed 1680 calories from MFP wanting a 1kg loss a week and put in lightly active. I reduced that to 1500 and don’t eat back my exercise calories. I am losing about 1kg a week so that works fine for me!

Marvinmarvinson Wed 16-Oct-19 16:47:47

1700. I've lost about 12 pounds in 7 weeksish.

I started at about 11 stone. I have to do 10k steps a day and 3 work outs with weights a week though.

I'm following team rh on facebook if you want to take a look

Elloello Wed 16-Oct-19 16:48:27

It is miserable isn't it? I'm asking because I'm at a real low point. Or rather, high point on the scale. I've lost all belief in myself, I start every single day of my life on a diet and finish it annoyed with myself. I've got full on diet fatigue and confusion and its starting to feel like ill never do it, no ever, it's just going to get worse and worse. It's almost like I expect it and always have done. sad I literally don't know how to tackle this any more even though all I do is read books about weight loss.

RandomMess Wed 16-Oct-19 16:52:48

Eat 1200 any exercise is a bonus however I am only 5' so don't need many calories compared to the average female!

OkayGo Wed 16-Oct-19 16:53:00

Op you sound like me. I was being so negative about 'being on a diet for the rest of my life' but actually I was just being fucking stupid. I was eating shitloads. Eating my feelings. Eating because I was bored. And then moaning because I was fat. I try not to think of it as a diet, I still eat what I want - I did slimming world for a while and got anxiety about going out to eat or having bread. Now I eat bread but I put it all in and adjust my portion size. I still have calories for a chocolate bar sometimes. I have days off when it's impossible to count and it's never affected me badly because I'm still in the mindset of it's a change, not a prison sentence.

RandomMess Wed 16-Oct-19 16:56:00

My focus is about eating healthy without the junk.

Mainly I cut out alcohol at home, biscuits, crisps, chocolate and don't eat bread/pasta daily. Weigh everything until you are aware of how many calories are really in your portion.

I eat breakfast at noon then late lunch and dinner.

Rystall Wed 16-Oct-19 16:57:33

You’ve got to work out your daily energy requirements first. Mine are depressingly low ( short, desk job, 40s) using a TDEE calculator and then work back from there.

To lose 1lb per week you need to consume 3,500 calories per week less than you need.

I don’t log any calories for exercise as people wildly overestimate what the burn going for a walk / doing spinning etc. These are just ‘bonus’.

The other hard part for me is that I’m generally very restricted during the week but because my daily energy requirement is so low, a few glasses of wine or a dessert at the weekend can easily erode any calorie deficit you’ve built up.

Yes it’s hard. Yes it’s depressing and yes it gets worse the older you get. However I think regardless of the diet you’re on, we all know deep down that we should drink little or no alcohol, have little or no sweet treats, drink more water, move our bodies more, not eat when we’re not hungry and sleep properly. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s any more technical than that. All of the diets out there are just variations on that theme.

Good luck OP and keep the faith!

NeedAnExpert Wed 16-Oct-19 16:58:52

It completely matters what you are eating. Look up the evidence against carb-heavy diets. If you eat 800 caps of high fat, high protein, low carb foods you won’t feel hungry. I eat only real food, twice a day, in a window of 8 hours And the weight falls off me.

CarolDanvers Wed 16-Oct-19 17:06:03

How old are you @NeedAnExpert? If you don't mind me asking. I like the sound of what you're saying but am peri menopause and struggling!

CileyMayRhinovirus Wed 16-Oct-19 17:11:43

I log my maintenance calories for a week when using MFP (or normal) then go down by 500 calories from there, then if after a week or two I haven't lost any weight (or minimal like 0.5lbs) I reduce in 100-200calorie increments until I start to lose weight at a slow but steady rate.

MFP always underestimates what I need though, and when I've stuck to it rigidly I've been exhausted from undernourishment, so whatever it tells me I add another handful of salad and veg on my plate if I want it, and a 100-200calorie snack at bedtime if I feel starved. I like to think of it as a range rather than an absolute, which can be hard with MFP because it tells you if you are 1 calorie over like a pedantic dictator!

anothernamejeeves Wed 16-Oct-19 17:15:59

I've been doing 1000 and have lost naff all

What next?

Bearspears Wed 16-Oct-19 17:20:51

1000-1200. I also try not to eat my calories gained through exercise.

I'm 11 stone with 1.5 stone to loose. 12lbs lost so far in the past month.

I've lost in the last using this method. Keeping it off tends to be my problem!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »