TDEE question

(9 Posts)
Zaphodsotherhead Mon 07-Oct-19 19:13:42

So, I've just done a TDEE calculator, which tells me that, based on 'moderate exercise 3-5 days a week', my TDEE is 1,803.

My question is, is that a TOTAL calorie intake, ie does it take account of the fact that I run around 30 miles per week?

Because how do they rate 'moderate' exercise? My friend, who walks her dog twice a day for twenty minutes counts that as 'moderate' exercise, because she goes out 7 days a week. I'm out 5/6 days a week and, surely, use far more calories than she does?

OP’s posts: |
fishonabicycle Mon 07-Oct-19 20:28:19

The only way to really find out is eat that many calories a day for a month - 6 weeks and see if you are maintaining, losing or gaining.

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 08-Oct-19 09:09:01

I don't really want to have to risk a weight gain just to find out!

Does anyone know? Does the total mean TOTAL, all exercise included, or total resting intake?

And how do they rate the exercise? 'Moderate' seems to be any exercise you do 3-5 days a week. So I run 5/6 miles every day, my friend walks her dog for 20 minutes, and they are both counted as the same thing?

ChocOrCheese Tue 08-Oct-19 16:42:13

Have you any way of measuring your energy expenditure more accurately? (Fitbit, heart rate monitor, smart watch?).

I'm 5'10" and weigh 12 1/2 stone.

I find it more helpful to start with BMR rather than a TDEE calculator. My BMR is 1500. I then add 400 calories a day for normal everyday movement (I am not totally sedentary all day). This 400 was chosen at random but over the years has proved to be about right. Then on top of that I add exercise calories, measured with a heart rate monitor. So my TDEE on a typical day would be 2,300.

Your activity level would sound higher than moderate and certainly higher than your dog-walking friend. How many calories you actually burn would depend on the intensity of your runs, though.

Why have you calculated the TDEE? Are you looking to lose or maintain? Whatever, your starting point has to be to look at the calories you currently consume and what is happening on the scale. Then you can tweak as necessary, rather than jumping to whatever TDEE recommendation you have got.

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 08-Oct-19 22:48:54

Thank you Chocorcheese. I don't have a fitbit or any way of calculating anything at all.

I've just lost three stone through running and dieting, am now 5'6" and weigh 9 stone (or just under). I want to maintain and not really lose any more, now I'm at prime running weight, but I find calculating my daily calorie intake quite hard (I think I'm averaging about 1200). I'm paranoid about not gaining weight again so tend to undereat. I'd just like to know roughly how many calories I can stick at so as to stay where I am!

ChocOrCheese Wed 09-Oct-19 14:04:52

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Your BMR looks to be around 1370 calories per day so you should be eating a good bit more.

1200 is far too low.

I fully understand the desire not to gain weight, and if you have been eating at a very low level you may be wise to increase the calories gradually, but my advice would be to aim to take in at least 1800 calories per day after a couple of weeks of gradual daily increase. With the amount of running you do I suspect you may need to eat more, but you won't know until you have monitored your food intake and your weight over some months.

Also, don't be scared of occasional weird weight spikes as this is generally water retention. If you know you have been eating sensibly an unexpected gain will not be fat.

Good luck, and well done on the weight loss.

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 09-Oct-19 14:22:18

Thak you, Chocorcheese. This actually makes a lot more sense to me, a basic resting rate with calories used added on top.

I did think that 1200 calories was low, but it was fine when I was losing weight - am going to aim for a gradual increase and keep an eye out!

Thanks again for the careful explanation!

Advertisement

Fishcakey Wed 09-Oct-19 15:21:02

My TDEE is 1650. According to my Apple Watch I use about 2300 kcals a day.

Fishcakey Wed 09-Oct-19 15:22:14

My TDEE is 1650. According to my Apple Watch I use about 2300 kcals a day. That's just wandering about to work and back and a dog walk.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in