Talk

Advanced search

Would people notice if you lost 5lbs in weight?

(46 Posts)
dirtyrottenscoundrel Wed 02-Oct-19 07:31:14

It seems quite a lot to me & I’m very proud I’ve lost this much. But no one has said anything sad
I was 10.11 and now 10.6.

OohMrDarcy Wed 02-Oct-19 07:35:36

Probably not, it is a lot but spread across your whole body it won't be particularly visible to others.

I don't think people noticed I was losing weight until well over the stone mark (apart from people I had mentioned it to).

EL2019 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:04

My husband might notice 5lb loss but I wouldn’t expect other people to.

I wouldn’t notice it on someone unless it was a very large drop. I don’t really pay attention to people’s bodies that much.

It took about 25lbs loss before people commented for me! 12st 6 down to 10something!

I think people want to be sure before they say something.

dementedpixie Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:05

5lbs isn't a lot at all, not even half a stone. You may notice but I wouldn't expect others

Inforthelonghaul Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:47

I don’t think so sadly but then I’ve gained a stone and still fit into my clothes so am hoping no ones noticed that either blush

Bucatini Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:51

I think about half a stone is when people start noticing. I've lost 11lb recently and no one has mentioned it! I'm heavier than you though.

TheBitchOfTheVicar Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:56

They say, half a stone you notice; a stone other notice. And even then they may think it rude to mention at all

Backtoschooool Wed 02-Oct-19 07:37:59

Probably not. I know someone who lost a lot of weight and no one noticed till she lost four stone.

Groovee Wed 02-Oct-19 07:38:46

I've lost 5 and a half stone and it took me 1.5st to notice a difference.

I gained 5lb over the summer and I've lost 3lb but don't notice a difference in my body or my clothes, so I wouldn't expect others to notice.

Well done on your loss x

NightsOfCabiria Wed 02-Oct-19 07:38:51

No, it tends to be noticeable at around the 1st mark, unless youre really short.

Jumblebee Wed 02-Oct-19 07:39:11

I don't think people would notice a 5lb loss. It took me losing 2 stone before people started to notice, now I've lost quite a lot more it's all people ever seem to talk to me about hmm

Swearwolf Wed 02-Oct-19 07:39:37

It's a great achievement, but yes, probably not really noticeable yet. I'm pretty short and have lost 11lb this year, gone from the cusp of a 12/14 to the cusp of a 10/12, and I don't think it's really noticeable to anyone. Perhaps in side by side photos, but in real life I just don't think it's a big enough change.

Leiasbuns Wed 02-Oct-19 07:40:16

Unfortunately not usually but then hopefully you notice it by feeling better in clothes and generally healthier(?) so that’s the main thing... I find it’s more like 10lbs that people start to notice... more often than not, at least a stone has to go first ime

IncrediblySadToo Wed 02-Oct-19 07:42:43

Of course not unless someone is painfully thin! 5 lbs you can ‘gain’ /‘lose’ depending on what you’ve eaten or pooped.

Neolara Wed 02-Oct-19 07:43:22

No. They don't.

Karwomannghia Wed 02-Oct-19 07:45:40

Not really- someone might think something but would not want to draw attention to your weight. but keep going. You’ll get it after a stone! Also depends what you’re wearing. Tighter clothes- people always say it more.

WhoKnewBeefStew Wed 02-Oct-19 07:46:17

I can lose 5lb the week before my period but no one ever notices. Although it's prob just water

I think people notice around the 1st mark
And/or if you have to buy new clothes to fit. I lost 2 stone and no one commented until I stopped wearing my old (too big for me) clothes and bought some the right size

Rachelover60 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:49:09

I think you have to wait until you've lost a bit more before anyone notices. A 5lb loss would be noticeable on someone who is fairly lean (they might even look skinny).

However, well done for losing 5lb, it's a good start!

ScreamingValenta Wed 02-Oct-19 07:50:14

I agree with pps, a stone is usually when your weight loss becomes apparent to others - although at 5lb they are probably thinking you look vaguely healthier, without having yet made the weight loss connection in their heads.

Well done - I agree 5lb is a lot to have lost when you are in the 10 stone bracket - it comes off so slowly when you are not huge to begin with.

HeronLanyon Wed 02-Oct-19 07:51:31

Well done op ! 5 lbs would not be noticed by my friends.
Over the years I’ve discovered I have a weight where friends notice (around 7 lbs less than my standard normal heaviest) and then another weight where acquaintances/colleagues etc notice (another 4 pounds).

sofato5miles Wed 02-Oct-19 07:51:47

I read somewhere that people only notice at 4kg to 5kg ( 9-11 lbs roughly)

Baguetteaboutit Wed 02-Oct-19 07:52:40

No. I'd feel a bit weirded out if my friends were so aware of my weight they noticed a 5lb loss.

user1493494961 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:57:41

I don't think it will be noticeable, but good for you.

dirtyrottenscoundrel Wed 02-Oct-19 08:00:18

Thanks all.
And yes, I agree, it probably has to be around the 1 stone mark before anyone notices.
I’ve noticed, so I guess that’s the most important thing. grin

Iamblossom Wed 02-Oct-19 08:00:47

No I would not expect others to notice but I would be able to feel it in clothes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »