Talk

Advanced search

Would people notice if you lost 5lbs in weight?

(46 Posts)
dirtyrottenscoundrel Wed 02-Oct-19 07:31:14

It seems quite a lot to me & I’m very proud I’ve lost this much. But no one has said anything sad
I was 10.11 and now 10.6.

OP’s posts: |
OohMrDarcy Wed 02-Oct-19 07:35:36

Probably not, it is a lot but spread across your whole body it won't be particularly visible to others.

I don't think people noticed I was losing weight until well over the stone mark (apart from people I had mentioned it to).

EL2019 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:04

My husband might notice 5lb loss but I wouldn’t expect other people to.

I wouldn’t notice it on someone unless it was a very large drop. I don’t really pay attention to people’s bodies that much.

It took about 25lbs loss before people commented for me! 12st 6 down to 10something!

I think people want to be sure before they say something.

dementedpixie Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:05

5lbs isn't a lot at all, not even half a stone. You may notice but I wouldn't expect others

Inforthelonghaul Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:47

I don’t think so sadly but then I’ve gained a stone and still fit into my clothes so am hoping no ones noticed that either blush

Bucatini Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:51

I think about half a stone is when people start noticing. I've lost 11lb recently and no one has mentioned it! I'm heavier than you though.

TheBitchOfTheVicar Wed 02-Oct-19 07:36:56

They say, half a stone you notice; a stone other notice. And even then they may think it rude to mention at all

Backtoschooool Wed 02-Oct-19 07:37:59

Probably not. I know someone who lost a lot of weight and no one noticed till she lost four stone.

Groovee Wed 02-Oct-19 07:38:46

I've lost 5 and a half stone and it took me 1.5st to notice a difference.

I gained 5lb over the summer and I've lost 3lb but don't notice a difference in my body or my clothes, so I wouldn't expect others to notice.

Well done on your loss x

NightsOfCabiria Wed 02-Oct-19 07:38:51

No, it tends to be noticeable at around the 1st mark, unless youre really short.

Jumblebee Wed 02-Oct-19 07:39:11

I don't think people would notice a 5lb loss. It took me losing 2 stone before people started to notice, now I've lost quite a lot more it's all people ever seem to talk to me about hmm

Swearwolf Wed 02-Oct-19 07:39:37

It's a great achievement, but yes, probably not really noticeable yet. I'm pretty short and have lost 11lb this year, gone from the cusp of a 12/14 to the cusp of a 10/12, and I don't think it's really noticeable to anyone. Perhaps in side by side photos, but in real life I just don't think it's a big enough change.

Leiasbuns Wed 02-Oct-19 07:40:16

Unfortunately not usually but then hopefully you notice it by feeling better in clothes and generally healthier(?) so that’s the main thing... I find it’s more like 10lbs that people start to notice... more often than not, at least a stone has to go first ime

IncrediblySadToo Wed 02-Oct-19 07:42:43

Of course not unless someone is painfully thin! 5 lbs you can ‘gain’ /‘lose’ depending on what you’ve eaten or pooped.

Neolara Wed 02-Oct-19 07:43:22

No. They don't.

Karwomannghia Wed 02-Oct-19 07:45:40

Not really- someone might think something but would not want to draw attention to your weight. but keep going. You’ll get it after a stone! Also depends what you’re wearing. Tighter clothes- people always say it more.

WhoKnewBeefStew Wed 02-Oct-19 07:46:17

I can lose 5lb the week before my period but no one ever notices. Although it's prob just water

I think people notice around the 1st mark
And/or if you have to buy new clothes to fit. I lost 2 stone and no one commented until I stopped wearing my old (too big for me) clothes and bought some the right size

Rachelover60 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:49:09

I think you have to wait until you've lost a bit more before anyone notices. A 5lb loss would be noticeable on someone who is fairly lean (they might even look skinny).

However, well done for losing 5lb, it's a good start!

ScreamingValenta Wed 02-Oct-19 07:50:14

I agree with pps, a stone is usually when your weight loss becomes apparent to others - although at 5lb they are probably thinking you look vaguely healthier, without having yet made the weight loss connection in their heads.

Well done - I agree 5lb is a lot to have lost when you are in the 10 stone bracket - it comes off so slowly when you are not huge to begin with.

HeronLanyon Wed 02-Oct-19 07:51:31

Well done op ! 5 lbs would not be noticed by my friends.
Over the years I’ve discovered I have a weight where friends notice (around 7 lbs less than my standard normal heaviest) and then another weight where acquaintances/colleagues etc notice (another 4 pounds).

sofato5miles Wed 02-Oct-19 07:51:47

I read somewhere that people only notice at 4kg to 5kg ( 9-11 lbs roughly)

Baguetteaboutit Wed 02-Oct-19 07:52:40

No. I'd feel a bit weirded out if my friends were so aware of my weight they noticed a 5lb loss.

user1493494961 Wed 02-Oct-19 07:57:41

I don't think it will be noticeable, but good for you.

dirtyrottenscoundrel Wed 02-Oct-19 08:00:18

Thanks all.
And yes, I agree, it probably has to be around the 1 stone mark before anyone notices.
I’ve noticed, so I guess that’s the most important thing. grin

OP’s posts: |
Iamblossom Wed 02-Oct-19 08:00:47

No I would not expect others to notice but I would be able to feel it in clothes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in