Talk

Advanced search

Health nerds: what weight should I actually aim for?

(8 Posts)
crazyhead Tue 01-Oct-19 10:53:20

So...I am 43, and my BMI is a bit high (25.9) through v gradual gain over time (I haven't weighed myself at all until recently), and I am trying to make small lifestyle changes to get it down over time. But I don't know what to aim for, post two kids and knocking on in age. Can any health experts help here?

I am a muscular build and lot quite a lot of exercise (weights, HIIT, running). I use a Boditrax machine at the gym, which claims that I have a high lean body mass and body fat of 25-26%. It stays fairly constant but may be inaccurate (years ago though, I was in a clinical trial where they used one of those BodPod things, and at a BMI of 23, my body fat was apparently 18/19 so I reckon I am genuinely on the muscular/stocky side).

My waist circumference is 29.5/30 inches. When I was slimmer it was 28 inches (never low). My lowest adult BMI (20s/early 30s) was 22/23 I think.

My LDL cholesterol was always slightly high, even when ultra slim, so
I can't afford to carry extra blubber. I ought to get it remeasured! My blood pressure is fine though.

What BMI would you aim for in health terms? Is it a bit deluded trying to force my post-kids body back to my former leaner state? I like food and want something realistic. This isn't about appearance for me, though I'm more in the size 12 than 10 side of my wardrobe and wouldn't mind looking a bit slimmer!

Thanks for your thoughts

OP’s posts: |
ppeatfruit Tue 01-Oct-19 14:08:22

I'm into my health, how tall are you? You sound ok to me, maybe go low sugar\alcohol.

( I went off sugar because one of my teeth was paining me, the result was incredible! I lost weight, my whole body improved, skin, eyes, muscle strength!) It's difficult to maintain because of course sugar is in everything!. But a goal I work towards using molasses as a healthy sweetener.

crazyhead Tue 01-Oct-19 14:22:25

I'm 5 ft 4. That's interesting (and dramatic!) about sugar ppeatfruit.

I suspect you are right about something like that. I'm also weighing up a few days a week of 16/8 eating (for health, but also just to reset a bit on the idea of not automatically snacking).

Alcohol is my weakness, just having wine too often, which is a lot to do with sugar craving at a certain time of night I suspect. I am pretty good about a lot of veg and wholegrains etc. But if I had to be honest about the main reason why I've gradually put on weight, I think it is wine, and perhaps attendant snacking.

ppeatfruit Tue 01-Oct-19 15:00:54

Oh it's incredibly addictive too! have you read Jason Vale's book about it? It really makes one think.

I hate being addicted to anything, I like being in control!!! So I'll have the odd freshly ground coffee or glass of good wine, or piece of dark chocolate , but say every 2 -3weeks, so I remain in control! I found with all those it's very hard to be in control but I like a challenge !

The night time eating is a disaster! I sleep so much better when I don't eat anthing after 6ish.

ppeatfruit Tue 01-Oct-19 15:03:21

Well I sound a bit of an obsessive don't I ! But I'll have a large ginger tea or some fruit sometimes after 6 and I do go out and eat later of course grin.

ppeatfruit Tue 01-Oct-19 15:07:29

Oh Iam non wheat (of any type, organic wholegrain is worse for me, it gives me the exhaustion and bloating). I do love organic pure rye and or spelt bread though.

crazyhead Wed 02-Oct-19 12:54:45

I haven't read Jason Vale's book. But you sound as though you have balance! I nearly do, but the weight thing is still a bit of a sign I reckon...

ppeatfruit Wed 02-Oct-19 15:08:23

Do remember that the medical profession's reliance on BMI results have been discredited for years because the weight of muscle is heavier than fat!!!! You may be only a couple of numbers above your "desired" weight but apparently it's statistically healthier to be over than under grin So don't worry. grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in