Talk

Advanced search

The one where we get into our old jeans

(724 Posts)
Seer Sat 17-Aug-19 17:55:46

Hello @TantricTwist and @DottieLottie1 ☺️

We're close to 1k on our old thread and I thought I'd start this one whilst I remember and the other one is still open so I can point you to it!

We can finish the other one first if it'll make anyone itch leaving it unfinished 😀

Here's to getting to our goal weight/sizes during this thread! 🥂 (The next one we'll be maintaining!)

TantricTwist Sat 17-Aug-19 20:34:15

>>waves<<

DottieLottie1 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:50:02

😘

DottieLottie1 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:53:46

Can't weight (sorry wait winkhmm)til at goal and can try and maintain. 1 stone 3lb to go.

I'm a bit jittery over how I will maintain. I'm probably going to e terms stats into MFP and see what it suggests and then slowly week by week add into my diet. What are your plans once your there?

And yes, can't weight (grin) until I'm in a lovely pair of new jeans!

TantricTwist Sat 17-Aug-19 22:34:44

@DottieLottie1 grin

Seer Tue 20-Aug-19 08:37:28

I've been giving a lot of thought to maintaining @DottieLottie1

I think the main challenge for me is finding a way to keep a weekly check on my size/weight but not being too obsessive with it.

I will continue 16:8 fasting but really don't want to calorie count in the longer term. I'm thinking I'll monitor calories/weight as I increase my intake until I find the sweet spot where I'm stable.

Ah also... I will be much more focused on my size after holidays/Xmas/operations etc because I know that's where most of my excess weight came from last year!

Last Nov I was 'only' a stone up from where I am now (caused mainly by being sedentary after an op I believe) and then the combo of Xmas and and a big holiday added a further 7lb by May!

Seer Fri 23-Aug-19 20:49:43

And here we are @DottieLottie1 @TantricTwist, @Threadbaretoe ☺️

DottieLottie1 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:52:37

Checking in 🤗

Threadbaretoe Fri 23-Aug-19 21:53:54

Found you! Thanks for the directions.

DottieLottie1 Fri 23-Aug-19 22:11:42

Hi @Threadbaretoe smile nice to have some company! Anyone is of course welcome wink

What method are you using? Ive been low calorie since mid May, having never dieted before. Was working really well but I have stalled. I've not gained so that's a plus and it's only been an 11 day stall... tho hard to take when I've been losing weight regularly. Let's see how the next few weeks go.

Threadbaretoe Fri 23-Aug-19 22:20:05

I have been calorie 'counting'. Being mindful of the total number of calories being under 1200, but not counting exactly.
I have never had weight loss as fast as this and put it down to combining the cc with intermittent fasting. I eat within an 8 hour window. I did this to help me be more disciplined about what I eat (not snacking in the evening) but I think it has really boosted the weight loss.
I enjoy the intermittent fasting and will definitely stick with it.
My loss is slowing now, but I guess that is to be expected, especially once in the 'healthy range' as you are

TantricTwist Sat 24-Aug-19 00:10:31

Lol at @Seer reaching exactly 1000 posts on previous thread by stretching out the last post into 3 posts grin

Hi @Threadbaretoe and welcome. Good to have you on board to help out @DottieLottie1 at her plateau and in general - like me not getting anywhere at the moment it feels.

B - Fast
L - 2 x cabbage coleslaw in wrap with feta cheese and mango chutney confused grin I wanted to use up what's in the fridge. Glass of OJ.
D - Lentil and bacon soup
Snacks of fruit juice ice lolly's

Seer Sat 24-Aug-19 14:12:47

I'm a big fan of IF too @Threadbaretoe I tend to fast for 16-20 hours week days. It works well for me as I don't mind missing breakfast anyway smile

DottieLottie1 Sat 24-Aug-19 19:35:30

Hi all,

Travelled most of the day to the West Country. Stopped at a service station but didn't get anything other than a Coke Zero.
By the time we arrived it was more or less dinner time. So BBQ- Steak, Chicken wings, chorizo and corn.

I'm now sitting out in the lovely evening sunshine sharing a bottle of Prosecco with DH. Bliss....

Low calorie day, not sure I'll be able to stick to it throughout the trip....

TantricTwist Sat 24-Aug-19 22:59:30

I went to the beach with friends for a pic nic and had Prosecco, artichoke hearts, peppers, olives a tiny bit of baguette with cheese and some delicious watermelon. Had some Haagen daaz when I got home and that's it. I walked about an hour or so, so there was exercise involved. The sea was lovely and warm and the sunset was gorgeous

DottieLottie1 Sun 25-Aug-19 14:18:36

I'm doing something similar today @TantricTwist , we are at the beach and it is sweltering. DH just did bbq burgers for himself and the DC. I declined but that's nothing new to them.

Loads of walking over the next few days too. Dinner out but Pre-ordered-

Roast chicken
Roast pork shoulder
Tear and share breads
Salad
Olives
Chutneys
Cheese board

As long as I don't go overboard shouldn't exceed 1500 today.

smile

TantricTwist Sun 25-Aug-19 19:16:26

The weather's gorgeous isnt it @DottieLottie1 but yes bloody swealtering. Your spread sounds delicious.

I had a very long unplanned glorious walk along the seafront with DD. We had 2 Rowntree's watermelon ice lolly's each as they come in a 4 pack when we briefly popped into a shop to buy water. I also had 2 small bites of DD's cinnamon roll from Gayles Bakery, so delicious. Actually I also bought some of their sourdough bread, totally forgot about that.

For dinner we'll be having bbq ribs, spring rolls and chicken shish kebabs with corn on the cob.

Seer Mon 26-Aug-19 10:25:22

We're on a boat tour up the coast today after my usual breakfast here of the best fresh (still warm) focaccia in the world!

Going to Milan tomorrow which should be interesting!

I'm going to be interested weighing myself when I get home - have eaten quite a bit but walked tonnes so hopefully not too much damage done!

Hope you're all enjoying your amazing weather - I think it might be hotter than here!

DottieLottie1 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:15:46

Lots of walking and swimming planned for today. We are at a beautiful oldie worldy cove.

I'm going to steal a couple of the kids chips for lunch and dinner will be a pasta dish of some kind. Finished off with a little Prosecco and almond liqueur.

Not done badly calorie-wise but doubt the scales will move in the right direction hmm

Enjoy the weather, whether your home or abroad grin

TantricTwist Mon 26-Aug-19 15:47:27

@Seer sounds amazing, fresh focaccia mmmm heavenly, plus a boat along a gorgeous coastline. I love boat rides.

@DottieLottie1 the oldie worldy cove sounds gorgeous, it'll be like being at the Mediterranean.

I've been picking up and ferrying the kids and their friends around to make sure they make the most of the day at the beach esp DS he needs a good push in the beach direction lol. I'll spend the day sorting out the front and back garden which have been neglected somewhat as I've been at the beach 2 days in a row and am in the zone to garden (which I never usually am)

I've eaten 2 slices of sourdough bread today with butter. Later I'll have a salad and maybe puff pastry with roast veggies on top baked in the oven. The DC will be having pizza and the puff pastry thing if they want and I might make them some ice cream or not as they have friends over up to them really.

I've put on some denim shorts which fit but they were bought before I put on the weight on top of the weight. Obvs I'm glad they fit but sad they're not looser.

DottieLottie1 Tue 27-Aug-19 16:03:42

Hmmm to sourdough and focaccia smile

Spent the day at another Waterpark with DC and now out for late lunch/early dinner. Beautiful sea view. Having goats cheese salad, chips blush and white wine spritzer blushblushblush

Hope your enjoying your day smile

TantricTwist Wed 28-Aug-19 00:05:52

L - bacon baguette
D - Pizza (small v. thin base)

Snacks - lots of ice pops.

Back at work tomorrow but I've had a glorious few days off and feel fully relaxed and happy.

TantricTwist Wed 28-Aug-19 09:05:06

Morning all

Great news my denim skirt was so loose this morning it was sliding down my hips. I'm so happy smile

Seer Wed 28-Aug-19 09:28:38

That's great news @TantricTwist and very well deserved!!!

It's sounds as though you've had a wonderful much needed rest - maybe your body needed that before it was ready to lose some weight.

Your break sounds lovely @DottieLottie1 I'm originally from that neck of the woods - such a beautiful part of the country!

We're setting off for home in the next half hour. Thankfully we've had great flight times both ways. I will miss this place but looking forward to home and the animals! Also my usual routine.

I will miss the focaccia tho!

TantricTwist Wed 28-Aug-19 10:06:52

@Seer it's so lovely going away yet always a joy to come home too.

@DottieLottie1 now I'm intrigued as to where this lovely cove is of yours.

I'm at work today - it was raining this morning and as I was running late I couldn't change out of my mini skirt and T-shirt so felt a bit silly in the bus with everyone else in jeans - still warm tho and humid

DottieLottie1 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:05:57

We're on our way home too. Have a safe trip @Seer

Probably jacket potatoes for dinner!

DottieLottie1 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:09:32

Good journey home, just under 4 hours with a fuel stop and another to let dog be watered. Much quicker than the journey down.

Skipped lunch but bought a protein shake at the services. Dinner was Jacket potato with chive and onion cottage cheese and lambs lettuce.

Just had a punnet of blueberries. Kitchen closed on a hardcore 748 calories. I'm honestly rather full.

Hope you had a good day at work @TantricTwist and hope you arrived home safely @Seer.

Seer Wed 28-Aug-19 23:42:06

Glad you're home safely @DottieLottie1 sounds like you've been much more prudent than me on your hols! I bet you'll see it on the scales soon.

Back home and happy to be so! Missed the dogs sooo much!

So... back into the usual food/exercise tomorrow and feeling weirdly happy about that 😀 Bit nervous about weighing tomorrow but best to know the damage and make amends quickly. My clothes feel fine but I suspect the scales may be less forgiving.

All ok with you @TantricTwist?

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 08:11:00

I'm up 5lb from my lowest weight but I'm not too upset as a) my waist hasn't increased b) we had an Indian takeaway last night and I'm always heavier the morning after those! c) I fluctuate so much anyway that it's not worth taking too much of one day's weight. We'll see what the next few days are like.

Anyway, back on the horse today...

I've got an 'emergency' client call this morning, mounds of laundry to get through and need to do a food shop so it won't be the most fun day in the world.

B: fasting
L: veg & dumplings in miso soup or will fast if I'm not too hungry
D: I think my family will want something v English like pie and mash, deffo no pasta!

Aiming for a 1k day.

What are your plans @DottieLottie1 @TantricTwist @Threadbaretoe ?

DottieLottie1 Thu 29-Aug-19 08:30:25

I'm sure that 5lb will drop off quickly @Seer. Hopefully I'll reach my target weight by my holiday, I bloody well hope so! I'm tempted to see if I can drop a couple of lbs the couple of weeks before I go to minimise the damage. Oh gosh, I'm starting to sound obsessive 1) I'm not at goal yet 2) My holidays not til Spring hmmgrin

I'm wondering whether I should change my weigh in day to a Friday. Only as I weighed on last Friday as I knew I couldn't Monday gone. Also, because I eat more over a weekend.... Hmmm decisions. I couldn't weigh everyday at the moment, the fluctuations would get me down. I might once I'm at goal though.

Still on A/L so no work today. I'm going to get up in a minute (yes I'm having a cheeky lay inwink) have a cuppa and go for a long dog walk. Need to do a bit of shopping and might take DC to a trampoline park.

B- cuppa, Vanilla and almond milk shake
L- Berries
D- Baked potato with pineapple cottage cheese. (Enjoyed yesterday's so much I'm having it again but shaking it up with the pineapple grin)

Have a good day allsmile

Threadbaretoe Thu 29-Aug-19 08:45:34

Hi Seer, that sounds like a good plan.

I have a bit of a similar story. Yesterday I had a massive, delicious Neapolitan pizza. Weigh in today for me would be falsely high because that amount of carbs will cause water retention and (tmi) constipation. To counter this today I will be fasting for breakfast and lunch and dinner will be tasty but high fibre salads to re balance things.

Will get started on a 10,000 step walk with the dog soon.

I read something interesting about IF the other day that really resonated with me. It talked about how it improves the efficiency of your body using fat reserves for energy, as opposed to triggering desire for sweet foods to deliver energy. This makes sense to me because with IF I don't get hungry despite periods of fasting. The same is true when I did a keto diet, but the moment I ate carbs hunger/cravings were triggered and I spent the time longing for bread and pasta, which I don't tend to eat much of anyway! I love that with IF I don't have to eliminate any foods but I can still enjoy the benefits of being more in control of my eating without having to battle with cravings/obsessing about foods I am denying myself.

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 09:37:11

Thank you @DottieLottie1 I hope so! 🙏

A Friday weigh in sounds wise! If I was weighing weekly I'd probably go for that too.

That makes so much sense @Threadbaretoe like you, I don't tend to get hungry whilst fasting until I've fasted around 18 hours. I'm also finding that I'm craving things much less than I used to since I've been fasting regularly. I've never had a terrible sweet tooth but I would almost always want some dark chocolate after a meal whereas now it doesn't cross my mind so often.

Just knocked out 100 kB swings (10 sets of 10) with my heaviest weight (12kg. Will buy a 16kg one this week) and didn't find it too hard - maybe all the walking on hols has kept me stronger than I thought!

I'm wondering if the flight might have dehydrated me and caused more water retention too - we'll see what the scales say over the next few days!

TantricTwist Thu 29-Aug-19 13:00:49

I'm at work but glad to hear everyone's had a lovely break as did I albeit at home,

B- alpen
L - lettuce tomato spring onion cous cous. Followed by a small piece of delicious home made cake.
D - burger

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 14:32:20

I'm being brave and fasting thru lunch too! Take that 5lb increase! 😀

My tummy was rumbling all morning really loudly which it never does normally. Shows how quickly it got used to be fed breakfast!

Will also keep my dinner small to help reset my body back to fasting and low cal days.

Can't wait to see the scales going in the right direction again! I loved feeling happy in my skin on hols! ☺️

TantricTwist Thu 29-Aug-19 15:50:59

Yay @Seer to being happy in our own skin. This what I will be this time next year on holiday.

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 17:05:37

You will @TantricTwist ☺️

I've managed 20 hours fasting so far! It will be even longer than intended as I need to run an errand before I can make dinner - possibly almost 24 hours!

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 20:33:40

Did a 23 hours fast and now closing the kitchen on 871 cals. Feels like a good start back!

How's your days been?

DottieLottie1 Thu 29-Aug-19 20:48:56

That's good work @Seer , I find it difficult to get back into eating routine after holidays. I feel hungry for a few days and crave the wine blush.

Quite a bit of walking for me today and kitchen closed on 1100.

I think I will weigh in tomorrow and then weekly. X fingers ask think I've possibly plateaued.

Seer Thu 29-Aug-19 20:52:31

Thank you @DottieLottie1 Exactly! I thought I might have got into too much of a wine and bread habit to easily transition back to normal without a longer fast to shake things up!

I really hope you've lost some tomorrow 🙏

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 08:01:49

Morning!

I'm so loving being back home! Got a client call this morning and then will do something with dh (who is still on leave) and the dcs this afternoon.

Just weighed myself and I'm back down to only a 1lb over my lowest pre-hols weight! That's some serious fluctuation!

Plan today:

L: either will fast or have low cal veg soup
D: takeaway and some wine

Will aim to keep below 1200 cals even tho it's a Friday/takeaway night as I'm determined to get myself back quickly to where I was before I went on hols so I can start losing weight again.

What are you up to today @DottieLottie1 @TantricTwist @Threadbaretoe ?

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:41:38

Morning 

Yes that's quite some fluctuation @Seer , but a good one 

I've just weighed in and it's a 1 lb loss for me. I should be happy with that as I definitely had more wine whilst I was away. However, I still ate well and walked loads so was hoping for a bit more. I don't know why but 1 lb doesn't sound much, but when you look up it's equivalent it's quite impressive!

Back to work.

B- Cuppa
L- Working over lunchtime so not possible
D- BBQ
Friday = Prosecco

I've got the bbq down to a fine low cal art- a few chicken wings, medallion steak, chorizo, corn and salad.

How are you both @TantricTwist @Threadbaretoe ?

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:43:04

Forgot to mention that I definitely feel slimmer this week. I've noticed that my butt feels boneyards when I sit on a hard surface- unfortunately it doesn't look that small grin

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:44:24

Boney! Not boneyards 😱😂😂😂

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:46:06

Oh, and I've lost 30 lb in total in 16 weeks. 3 lbs Togo and I'm in the 10 stone bracket

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 08:52:53

Congrats @DottieLottie1 it means your plateau is over!

I know it's not as much of a loss as you'd hoped but 1lb loss is still brilliant, especially when you're already slim (which you are, lady!)

I lose 1.2lb per week on average which I'm very happy with as the amount I'm eating is sustainable and enjoyable for me and means I'll inevitably get to my goal as long as I keep on keeping on.

As you always says... it's a marathon not a sprint ☺️

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 08:53:31

Woah to 30lb!

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 08:56:11

I think boneyards sounds better than bony btw @DottieLottie1 - it can be our new lingo grin

Threadbaretoe Fri 30-Aug-19 09:10:38

That's an amazing loss Dotty!

We are about the same height but 11 stone is very much a stretch goal for me at I'll have to see as I go along whether it is reasonable. I do find the threads that talk about clothes size, height and weight interesting (eg people who are all the same height and much heavier people being smaller dress sizes).

Do you think that your loss may have slowed down as you are no longer overweight - not that our bodies know what society has decided this category issmile?

My loss has slowed quite a bit but I haven't reduced the amount I eat in line with the weight loss. My TDEE must be quite a lot less now I'm 3stone lighter. The next stone may take several months. The first took less than a month.

Have people started to notice your loss yet....yourself and your boney bum aside?

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 09:51:22

I find it fascinating too, @Threadbaretoe

I'm deffo a 'heavy weigher' I'm shorter than you and Dottie at just under 5'7. Currently I weigh 163lb (11stone 9) and I'm now usually a 10 in tops and 12 in dresses/bottoms... whilst still in the overweight category!

My original goal weight was 11stone 7lb which was just a guesstimate based on roughly what weight would get me to feeling slim again.

Although I'm fairly happy with my body now I'm going to continue aiming to lose weight as I want to be back to my size 5 years ago. No idea of the weight but my waist was an inch smaller, I guess it'll be around 10st 11lb.

MyGhastIsFlabbered Fri 30-Aug-19 10:07:25

Can I join in? All my clothes are uncomfortably tight right now and I struggle to get past my stomach bending over to do shoes up. I really struggle unless I've got accountability so I'm hoping this group might to do it. I've been to Slimming World in the past but I just can't afford even £4.95 a week to attend.

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 12:04:54

Sure @MyGhastIsFlabbered ! The more the merrier ☺️

That's exactly how I felt in May, this group has been invaluable for support and motivation to lose weight and feel good about my body again!

TantricTwist Fri 30-Aug-19 12:38:15

Good lord so DD and I looked through some old clothes of mine this morning that were vacuum packed and tucked away.
There were pre DC clothes of mine that are just tiny.

Last night I got home from work and just fell asleep. I woke up briefly and had some toast, maybe something else but I just can't remember.

@DottieLottie1 yay you've broken through that plateau it seems which you must be so happy about as well as having a bony arse grin and losing 30lb.

@Seer I'm your height so should deffo be your current dress size / weight which I am not yet, eek. You're doing well snapping back into healthy eating mode straight after your lovely holiday.

@Threadbaretoe 3 stone so far is such a brilliant loss. Hopefully the next stone will be quicker than you think.

@MyGhastIsFlabbered Hello and welcome. We're finding that calorie counting is really helping as is using the MFP app and supporting each other a lot.

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:55:16

Hello @MyGhastIsFlabbered , agree with @TantricTwist that MFP is the way to go.

HaHa @Seer , I'm picturing you using the word boneyard as part of your job/client calls- Mrs Focker and all that 😂

*@TantricTwist*, at last someone has mentioned it today. Work colleague, who I see everyday (in my skimpy uniform) asked if I had lost weight and when I said yes she remarked I looked like I'd lost loads. She was a bit worried to be fair!

I've still got about 1/2 a stone to lose to get to the middle of my health BMI , but I'd like to hover just below as it gives me a bit of leeway for holidays etc.

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:56:32

I do realise we've probably got the wrong end of the stick regarding your job @Seer but it's fun all the same!

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 18:02:24

It's close enough @DottieLottie1, except I think she only worked with elderly couples 😀

I'm glad someone's finally noticed your weight!

I've snuck in a glass of pink fizz with a visiting friend this afternoon but otherwise stuck to my plan of fasting then some veg soup. Takeaway soon and another glass or two and I should still be under 1200 cals for the day

TantricTwist Fri 30-Aug-19 18:34:44

About bloody time someone noticed @DottieLottie1 although quite funny she is now worried as you'e lost too much grin probably seems like you've lost it all in a couple of weeks.

Oh how we wish we could be a fly on the wall when you talk to your clients @Seer grin

I have just made a plum tarte tatin which is hardly low in calories but was delicious. I burnt my fingers on the pan though, idiot.

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 18:47:47

Oops @TantricTwist , bet it was worth it 

I'll end the day on around 1100.

@Seer , I can't remember who you said your (rough) doppelgänger is, but I'm definitely picturing Babara in hippy wear  Going forwards can we call you "Roz" ? (Yes I had to google to remember the Fokers name 😂

What plan are you thinking of trying @MyGhastIsFlabbered? You really don't need to pay out for dieting groups, but you do need the want and will power.

Threadbaretoe Fri 30-Aug-19 18:57:37

😂 😂😂
I don't look or dress anything like Roz Forker but my job is very closely connected to hers. I missed the posts about Seer's job.

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:09:23

Oh wow, sounds like a small world! Therapy/counselling of some kind is my guess- maybe you and @Seer Know each other grin

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:11:03

I'm not sure how much notice you lovely lot take of BMI, but the graph here shows I'm still above middle of healthy category for my height.

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 20:18:07

How funny @Threadbaretoe, what are the chances of us being in a similar line of work? 😀 mind you, equally weird is Dottie and I living in neighbouring towns!

I'm probably more like Rose Byrne's character in Peter Rabbit dress-wise *@DottieLottie1*, love a floral print dress, but deffo a bit of hippy in there too! 😀

Mmmm to plum tarte tatin @TantricTwist I constantly burn myself so you have my sympathy

I do wonder how accurate BMI can be @DottieLottie1 You must be looking pretty slim by now, it's hard to believe you're not even in the middle of the range!

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:23:51

@Seer according to NHS BMI calculator I've got to get to 10 st 07lb to hit the middle of 'healthy'. That's 10lb pounds to go. I'm now quite slim round the middle but still have bits of wobble. Toning up is needed too sad

DottieLottie1 Fri 30-Aug-19 20:30:33

I've just calculated that I was 18.8 on the BMI scale 4 years ago (and every year previous in adulthood). I was 3lbs inside the healthy range from being underweight, not that this was necessarily a good thing. I think sitting bang in the middle would be perfect.

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 20:45:57

That's interesting @DottieLottie1

I've just done the same with my lightest known weight (I barely ever weighed myself until this year) and I had a BMI of 18 which is right at the low end of healthy. I know I actually looked underweight though.

MyGhastIsFlabbered Fri 30-Aug-19 20:56:57

I haven't decided yet. Part of my problem is that I'm medication that boosts the appetite so I'm constantly hungry-that's why SW appealed because I can eat unlimited quantities of 'free' foods...and it has worked in the past, I lost 3 stone. But life/poor MH/ has meant I've piled it on and more. I saw photos of myself today and I'm enormous sad.

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 21:04:26

@MyGhastIsFlabbered, that must make it more challenging for you. @Threadbaretoe and I do intermittent fasting (alongside calorie restriction) - might that work for you? I typically fast 16-19 hours on week days and I find it makes me less hungry.

MyGhastIsFlabbered Fri 30-Aug-19 21:27:19

I tried intermittent fasting years ago but I found I was going completely overboard on my non-fasting days.

Seer Fri 30-Aug-19 21:36:23

What kind of IF did you do @MyGhastIsFlabbered?

I tend to IF 5 days a week and then have sat and sun. I find this way much easier than the 5:2 and similar. Keeping to 500 cals is hell for me!

Threadbaretoe Fri 30-Aug-19 22:00:02

Flabbered - like Seer, I eat within an 8 hour window. I think this has helped my body become far more efficient at using stored fat. I also calorie count (in a rough and ready way) to stop me going overboard. I do this pretty much everyday but take a day off when circumstances mean it would be very difficult.

Dottie - I think the 3 stone + healthy weight window for 5'9 (8st 13lb - 12st 1lb) seems crazy. I had liver functioning issues when I was in my early 20s and lost loads of weight. I got down to 9 and a half stone and looked like I was malnourished and massively under weight. For me, 10.5 stone is very skinny but even then I would struggle to get in to a size 12 because I have broad shoulders and hips. At that weight I look like a cartoon character that has been run over - paper thin when looking on sideways but broad from the front!

DottieLottie1 Sat 31-Aug-19 09:47:09

@Threadbaretoe , I agree that 9 stone is incredibly slim on someone my height. Like you I have very square and broad shoulders- clothes that fit round my shoulders don't fit my waist and vice versa. My hips aren't naturally that wide but I have a bit of curve. However my hips are where the weight goes to!

Working late morning through lunch.

Starting the day with a cuppa, take away late afternoon/early evening most probably chippy. Then off to an evening wedding reception (in a town just to the East of you @Seer ). Will avoid the buffet and I'm also nominated driver so no 🍾 for me.

Have a good day all smile

Seer Sat 31-Aug-19 12:07:25

Enjoy the wedding reception @DottieLottie1 ! I can't think which town that is! Does it begin with T or G?

Having a lovely and also productive morning... helped DD sort her wardrobe out, had a sauna, watered the garden (and next door's as they're away), now eating a late breakfast in the sunshine.

Haven't got much planned, will probably do some gardening and then we're having a BBQ later.

My 16lb kettlebell has arrived so I'll be tackling that beast shortly!

Happy that I've found a size 10 cami that I bought from a charity shop ages ago but was too small for me, it wound up in my DD's wardrobe (no idea why, she's 9!), tried it on today and it now fits!

B: v bacon in bagel with homegrown tomatoes and lots of salad
L: nothing
D: BBQ! Probably a v hotdog, bean burger, new potatoes, corn on cob, salad.

Haven't added up cals yet but will aim for 1500 max, less if I can!

Hope you all have a lovely day! ☺️

DottieLottie1 Sat 31-Aug-19 16:42:07

@Seer , its in G/D.....

Seer Sat 31-Aug-19 17:39:02

Aha! That's what I was thinking ☺️

TantricTwist Sat 31-Aug-19 17:40:21

Hope you had a fab time last night @DottieLottie1

Clothes end up in the weirdest place sometimes @Seer the worst being DD shoes when she was 2 in my parents washing machine confused

I went for a longish walk today which incorporated picking up items for back to school. It got quite grey, windy and drizzled slightly but nice to walk along the seafront for a bit.

Not the lowest of calorie intake today but I've been feeling so tired I just needed some treats.

DottieLottie1 Sun 01-Sep-19 00:20:04

Yes, back to school next week. I feel a bit glum once the summer holidays finish, I like the kids at home and I love the relaxed slow morning routine. No constant "are you getting up?". "Are you up?" , "have you had your breakfas?", "Do you need money on your lunch pass?","have you done your homework?","you've got to leave in 10/5/1min", "Seriously your going to be late, I'm not even joking!", etc etc 😂

Only plus side is I get back into my normal routine which helps with fitting in exercise. I'm planning on some long long dog walks, unfortunately as the weather changes so willmy walking routes. No muddy parks/forest/fields , just pounding the pavements.

I'm away fri- Mon (UK break) again this weekend as celebrating a birthday. This will involve a lot of walking but I will be eating out each evening. I will try and pick wisely but will treat myself a little too.

Seer Sun 01-Sep-19 09:35:00

Morning all! ☺️

Me too @DottieLottie1 I wish the hols could go on forever!

My dogs walks just get v muddy as I have no other option! I don't mind though I like seeing all the seasonal changes happen to the landscape.

DD and I went for a Thai meal last night and the food was soooo good, I ate way too much and my tummy is still feeling too full now.

My weight is hovering around 1-2lb heavier than my lowest pre-hols weight - could deffo be worse after all the wine, bread, pasta and pizza but I'm looking forward to properly losing again!

I'm sticking to only 2 meals a day even at the weekend when I'm not fasting through breakfast.

Plans today:

B: cooked breakfast if the family fancy that. If not, I'll fast.
L: nothing if I have breakfast, veg soup if I didn't
D: the BBQ we were meant to have yesterday hopefully (was postponed as the weather got grim)

Will aim for 1500 cals Max, ideally less.

DottieLottie1 Sun 01-Sep-19 09:45:45

It's not practical to let our dog get muddy every walk @Seer as she would need a bath every single time. Dog is double coated and takes an age to dry so would be wet on our next outing.

Birthday party to attend this afternoon but I'll get away with avoiding finger buffet type stuff.

D- lightly spiced 5% fat mince beef with red onion, red pepper and courgette in tortilla wraps. Salad and a few Doritos.

And, yesterday's bottle of wine.... grin

Seer Sun 01-Sep-19 09:52:48

Aha that makes sense @DottieLottie1 ! Mine don't have an undercoat and are basically designed for mucky terrain so they clean and dry with a quick rub over with a towel!

You're out and about to loads of events lately! Well done for sticking to good choices halo

TantricTwist Sun 01-Sep-19 15:24:52

I just had to google double coated dogs

Yes I agree, such a shame the summer holidays are coming to an end. It feels like it's been such a long time of it, in a good way with plenty of glorious sunshine.

I havent eaten yet today and will cook roast chicken for later.

DottieLottie1 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:24:11

Morning smile

I felt a little hmmat the party yesterday. Quite a few family members were there (and friends) and I got the same comment twice.

My DSis Is very slightly shorter than me but is a waif of a thing- no problems, has had her thyroid checked would like to gain a bit of weight but can't - it's just the way she is! She's around 2 stone lighter than me at my current weight. I am in no way jealous of DSis apart from the fact she doesn't have to watch what she eats grin

I was asked "Aren't you jealous of your sisters figure" and then "I bet you wish you were as slim as DSis name". Now, it was probably meant as a compliment to DSis and she is beautiful but at the same time it made me feel a bit shit! sad

Oh well, brush it off and all that jazz.

Last day of school holidays today so we're going to have a lazy one. I've still got to take dog out and pick up a couple of rulers though! grin

B- Vanilla and almond milk shake
L- Berries and Cherries
D- Pesto tagliatelle, olives, salami and some dipping breads with balsamic vinegar

Should be around 1100 cals for the day.

Seer Mon 02-Sep-19 08:51:40

Morning all! ☺️

The penultimate day of the hols here. I have one of DD's friends here (she stayed over) so will be doing something today that all 3 children fancy (they haven't decided yet!)

L: veg soup
D: asparagus and mushroom risotto

Aiming for 1k cals max... really hope this week I'll be back to my pre-hols weight again. 🙏 The last few days I've held stable at 2lbs heavier but it's not surprising given it's been the weekend.

I'm feeling super toned and strong from all the kettlebells tho!

What's your plans today?

Seer Mon 02-Sep-19 09:07:44

I took an age writing my post so missed yours @DottieLottie1

I'm utterly shocked at people saying that. 😮 Regardless of your weight, it would be a rude and hurtful thing to say but given you've just lost so much weight and are looking great, it's totally bizarre too.

I wonder if they're actually envious of you and trying to make themselves feel better by trying to take you down a peg or two.

DottieLottie1 Mon 02-Sep-19 09:16:44

@Seer I think they were probably thinking out loud- she does look great (very very waif like but it's just her) and it was a way of making conversation. I think it was probably a case of spoke before engaging brain.... but still felt sad

I hope you get to your pre-holiday weight, I'm sure you will soon, then duck under.

Also, the new trampoline park in the place you went wall climbing is really good and cheaper than other ones. Just an idea for your sleepover smile

Seer Mon 02-Sep-19 09:55:30

You gotta feel sorry for people with that level of social skills then, eh? 😬

Oooh, thank you! That's a great idea!

MyGhastIsFlabbered Tue 03-Sep-19 07:23:37

Ok so I'm a couple of days late because my bathroom scales were broken but I'm checking in for day 1.

I'm 150cm
81.5 kg
Giving a BMI of 36.2 blush

I need to get down to 56.3kg to get a healthy BMI. Shit. I hate that I've let myself get this big again.

I usually weigh in stones and pounds but have deliberately gone for kilos this time as it's harder for me to compare to previous weight loss attempts.

Seer Tue 03-Sep-19 08:13:43

@MyGhastIsFlabbered well done for weighing yourself - that's often a difficult step but it's so helpful to have the clarity. You know where you are now.

Try not to be hard on yourself, we all do what we do for very good reasons, and we keep doing those things until we find a way to address the reasons. Compassion for yourself is so important and is the best ingredient for change.♥️

Last day of the hols here... hoping to fit some nice things in amongst the horrors of getting organised for school!

I have lots of bananas past their best so might make banana cake... and then try not to eat too much of it 😬

B: fasting (not eating the pancakes I'll make the DCs!)
L: the last of my batch of veg soup if it's still ok, if not miso and veg
D: v sausage & lentil casserole, potatoes with broccoli and Cavolo Nero

Aiming for 1k cals (went over yesterday as I ended up eating lunch out, I did lots of heavy gardening tho so must have burned up a lot of cals!)

What are your plans @DottieLottie1@TantricTwist@Threadbaretoe? smile

Seer Tue 03-Sep-19 08:24:55

A pound over my pre-hols weight now.

I keep reminding myself that my body is still slim and healthy, even if the numbers on the scales/tape measure aren't exactly what I'd choose!

Is your stomach flat now @DottieLottie1 ? Mine's still got a small bump but I'm soooooo much happier with it now compared to May.

DottieLottie1 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:25:37

Morning 😊

@myghastisflabbered you're doing so well just to get on the scales! This is where it starts for you, don't beat yourself up. As long as your in the right mindset you will see results. Seeing g the weight drop off cheers you up big time!

My plans today are to get kids off to school, they are starting late today. Then I've got to pick my DNs up from DB and watch them for the day . Add in a dog walk and I need to hoover the car out. Exciting grin

B- Vanilla and almond milkshake
L- strawberries
D- Jacket with pineapple cottage cheese and salad.

Have a good day all

DottieLottie1 Tue 03-Sep-19 08:27:19

Almost @Seer but not quite! Wouldn't wear a bodycon dress yet.... Though probably wouldn't ever again anyway 😂

Threadbaretoe Tue 03-Sep-19 08:56:53

@ MyGhastIsFlabbered I did the same-measured in kg rather than stone so I didn't really 'get' the numbers. This has been useful for me. I have also used the Happy Scale app for recording my weight (just the free functions) and it has been good for helping me see through fluctuations. As long as the general trend is in the right direction it's a win!
I didn't weigh myself for the first few weeks. When I did I was 97kg, I think I may have started at around 103kg.
When I weighed myself on Sunday I was exactly the same weight as you!

MyGhastIsFlabbered Tue 03-Sep-19 13:08:16

I still haven't quite decided how I'm going to diet, as I said previously SW has worked in the past but I can't afford to go. Unfortunately I've still got junk food around rather than healthy food so I need to shop and get organised. But I know if I'd waited to get food in I'd have procrastinated forever and I'd still weigh 80+ kilos at Christmas.

So, I'm here, I'm disorganised and undecided but I am here! Snacking is my biggest downfall, I can't seem to stop eating between meals. I went vegan in January and thought that would help, but I've actually put on weight this year.

Sorry, am waffling a bit but I'm trying to get focussed, committed and to use you lot as my accountability partners!

Seer Tue 03-Sep-19 14:03:09

Honestly, talk away @MyGhastIsFlabbered ! I often do! I find it so helpful to have this place to share what's going on for me (especially as I'm not telling anyone in real life that I'm trying to lose weight!)

It's great that you're starting before you're perfectly ready.

I'm vegan too btw (for a couple of decades), I think people do sometimes think it's an instant ticket to weight loss whereas these days there's so much vegan ready made/processed/snack food available that it's not really any easier!

It's good to know how you're getting in your own way with snacking. Just being aware is a great step!

I'm not much of a snacker (except socially), my weakness is/was huge portions (even tho I usually eat healthy food, I can eat way too much of it, esp pasta and rice!) and wine!

But more than that, I think I simply wasn't taking notice of when I'd put on small amounts of weight over the past year in particular (from holiday, an op, Xmas etc) so little by little it added up.

I also have a theory that for most of us as we get older, we just can't maintain a slim weight if we're eating three meals a day, unless one of the meals is tiny. I might be wrong there but it seems that way for me! Two meals seems more sustainable.

MyGhastIsFlabbered Tue 03-Sep-19 20:00:18

To take my mind off food shall I waffle on a bit about me?

I'm 45, live in West Sussex with my two boys aged 9 and 6. Very sedentary usually; ironically I started doing C25K to get fitter and ended up with a stress fracture that still isn't fully healed after nearly 4 months. So I've not been able to even gently exercise for 4 months now. I work part time as a medical secretary.

Thank you for the tip about the happy scale app-it is now on my phone.

DottieLottie1 Tue 03-Sep-19 20:43:50

Hello @MyGhastIsFlabbered , this thread (well the original and this one) is getting my coincidencental by the post.

You and @TantricTwist I believe live relatively close together and your jobs seem to be in the same field! @Seer and I discovered a few weeks back that we are in neighbouring towns. Spooky!

You can do this and talk away as you please 😊

Seer Tue 03-Sep-19 20:58:22

I was just thinking that @DottieLottie1!

And I think @Threadbaretoe and I do similar Mrs Fockerish jobs too!

Have stuck to plan pretty much today - i'm finishing on 852 cals tho I feel much more full than that so keep wondering if I've miscalculated (I don't think so tho).

I need to make up a batch of something for my lunches - I finished my last lot of chunky veg soup today.

The soup seems to work v well, it's super filling and nutritious and yet low in cals but I don't want to keep making it every week and get sick of it!

The problem with things like ratatouille is that I want to have something carby with them which then ups the calories.

@TantricTwist all ok there? I think you've been quiet tho it might be my imagination.

MrsGrindah Tue 03-Sep-19 21:08:39

Can I ask your opinions please. Battled with my weight all my life ..a natural fatty. The last time I lost a lot ( 3 stone) I started out by not weighing myself for the first 2 weeks so I couldn’t get depresssed about the mountain I had to climb. When I did get weighed I was able to think..no matter how bad it is I must be lighter than I was.

I’ve since put it all back on so starting again. I’m planning to do the same but I’m thinking I know in the past I sometimes don’t lose anything for a few weeks so should I just face the music now and then any little loss is a victory?

What do you all think ( I’m on day four by the way and starving!)

DottieLottie1 Tue 03-Sep-19 21:17:48

Hello @MrsGrindah what plan as such are you going to follow?

Every loss however small is still a loss and progress in the right direction. Also bear in mind that you may plateau at times too.

As I've said before it's a journey not a sprint Wish I could follow my own advice though, I'm a bit do as I say it as I doblushgrin

Entering everything but at least your weight into MyFitnessPal really helps. It produces a graph and its motivating to see a downward trend.

Threadbaretoe Tue 03-Sep-19 21:18:00

@DottieLottie1
Im a bit slow in getting back to comments - I'm a bit like that Two Ronnies sketch where the replies were to the last but one comment - except I'm not funny!

About the insensitive comment.......I am friends with a couple of people who really struggle to put on weight and are really miserable about it. They covert plump figures and strong looking women. They often feel weak and feeble. When I look at my flab and lumps and bumps I find it difficult to relate. However, I do get some on what they are saying. I would hate to feel not very robust or in some way vulnerable because of my size. I wouldn't be surprised if to me, your figure is more desirable than your siblings.

I am pleased that my mid teen daughter wants what she calls 'thick' thighs and butt. I am not at all pleased that the notion of an ideal is still around but I do think the 'ideal' is far better than the Twiggy, androgynous look I wanted at her age - I have always been curvy!

MrsGrindah Tue 03-Sep-19 21:22:59

Hi..just sensible calorie counting which includes writing down everything I eat. Going through the menopause which I’m expecting won’t help. Do you think I should weigh now? Just worried it will demotivate me

MyGhastIsFlabbered Tue 03-Sep-19 21:26:59

One battle I have is that I'm on medication with a notorious side effect or boosting appetite so I'm constantly starving. Or think I am at least. Which is why SW has always appealed. The idea of calorie counting fills me with dread. I'm just going to cut out snacks this week and see how I get on. I can tweak as needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »