Talk

Advanced search

What "event" triggered you to lose weight? and what did you do next?

(43 Posts)
SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 21:44:16

OK.

Was at a party last night and wished I could wear some of hte clothes on show. Began thinking I should really lose some weight.

Tried on some jeans in store changing room today and I looked hideous. I am goign to lose weight by XMas.

As of tomorrow I will cut down on portion sizes and walk up hte stairs at work. When I get back from holiday I will go a bit further and start a bit more excercise and change the food I am eating.

What did you do once you have decided? Start a Week next Wednesday? Start tomorrow? Throw away all the treats? Eat them/get the family to eat them and not buy any more?

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 21:46:06

Oh and BTW just so it is official and on paper my target is for DP to buy me a pair of size 16 (or 14) jeans that fit and are comfortable and I can sit down in without cutting off my circulation.

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 21:46:10

Start NOW

Get family to eat all the bad things and don't buy any more.

With your added walking - park further away from the supermarket Spaces are easier and you get the added walk!

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 21:46:27

The jeans are for XMas obviously!!!

SpringSprung Sun 29-Jul-07 21:49:39

I had a whole hair appointment with the hairdresser referring to the fact that "it wouldn't be long now" and "how excited I must be" and how I was "blooming" and I finally twigged that she thought I was pregnant.

No, just FAT.

So, got a bike, ate less & excercised more and have lost 3 stone.

Also have new, nicer, hairdresser.

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 21:50:49

I have actually dusted off my bike - have been on it once in last 6 weeks becaus eof hte rain.

SpringSprung Sun 29-Jul-07 21:54:08

Yes, love cycling as it costs nothing. If I really can't get out then I do a 20 min exercise video indoors. Just as good IMO.

Good luck to you - remember - nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

agalch Sun 29-Jul-07 22:02:12

My wedding plans got me started.I was determined not to be a fat bride. Started at 14st,and now 10st 5lbs with around 12lbs to go to get to my target weight.

Got wed in April and felt and looked fab(well everyone said i did)so worth it.Am never going back up.So much easier/nicer to buy clothes!!

You can do it!!

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 22:02:18

"nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

I think that will become my mantra...

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 22:03:02

"So much easier/nicer to buy clothes!!"

and another Mantra!!!

foxybrown Sun 29-Jul-07 22:08:45

A picture of me looking huge! I joined Weight Watchers straightaway and loved it. Am going to start again in two weeks (just had a baby) and I will write down everything I eat - helps me to keep things in perspective.

Good luck with yours!

PestoMonster Sun 29-Jul-07 22:11:53

I always lose weight when I've got a holiday coming up. There's nothing like the thought of having to prance about in a bikini, for making you lose yer appetite

whoopsfallenoveragain Sun 29-Jul-07 22:14:44

I looked in a mirror and thought Bubbles from little Britain was looking back at me
I'd also had a miscarriage a couple of weeks before
I started Straight away and have lost 2.5 stone so far and gone from a size 22 to a size 18

fishie Sun 29-Jul-07 22:17:51

do you really want to do it?
how big are you now?
what is your downfall?

i will answer this for me
yes sick of not fitting in clothes and looking old
have lost about 1.5 stone in past three months
cheese wine meat and greed generally

cylon Sun 29-Jul-07 22:26:56

when i seriously considered having a tummy tuck. realised it wouodl cost me about ten grand...dsis pointed out to me that my gp would nt look at it for me unless my bmi was under 26. and that seems to be that really.

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 22:30:56

Yes I really want to do it. TBH it is my shape that is a bigger problem than overall size (no norks, 6 bums!!!).
What size am I now - size 14/16 top (which I don't have a problem with. Size 16/18 (20jeans) trousers.

It is my bum/thighs/legs I have a problem with. My measurement just above my knee is about the same as my 6yos waist .

My downfalls?
The work canteen. I have good intentions of having a sandwich and then can't be bothered to queue (the hot meal queues are always shorter). Then the puddings are soo tempting. Then I have a cooked meal at home.
Puddings are a more minor downfall.

BBBee Sun 29-Jul-07 22:39:46

take a pack lunch and no money to work

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 29-Jul-07 22:41:54

No one specific trigger for me - just the realisation that my weight was gradually creeping up. I wasn't doing anything different - just getting older!

I'm short (5.2) and a slight frame/small boned - but when even size 14 stuff was getting too small was when I really decided something had to be done.

I went out one evening with a friend I hadn't seen for a long time who looked fabulous - she had lost about 2 stone I think. Her doctor had recommended low carbing. She said it was really easy, she could still drink and that the weight had just dropped off. That was enough for me!

I read a couple of books about low carbing - Charles Clarke's "The High Protein Diet" and Dr Atkins Diet Revolution, and took the plunge. Three years on I've maintained a loss of around a stone and a quarter. I have just bought my holiday clothes - a comfortable size 10.

I'm much happier in myself - even though I would still like to lose another half a stone - and (more importantly) enjoy what I'm eating and never have to feel deprived of food.

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 22:44:18

I don't like manky sandwiches that have been made hours in advance, But I will pre-order them so they are ready to collect. Then I am committed.

potoroo Sun 29-Jul-07 22:47:59

I saw photos of myself as DS's christening.

Then I joined WW and lost about 24 pounds and was very

BBBee Sun 29-Jul-07 22:49:35

good idea - and NO MONEY - I lost loads of weight by doing this.

Tommy Sun 29-Jul-07 22:54:31

I was part of medical survey and I had to be weighed (didn't have any scales at the time). I was shocked at how much I was and also at my diet (had to keep a food dialry for the survey).

I hotfooted it to Slimming World and lost nearly 3 stone.

(all back on again now post baby but probably will go back to SW)

My tip - write down everything that you eat.

Good luck

colander Sun 29-Jul-07 23:03:52

Just had enough of being overweight, and horrified at being nearly a size 16 (ok, don't want to offend, I know other people are bigger, but for me that was just awful because I used to be a 10-12). Went on holiday and decided to pig out as my last chance of doing so, intending to start diet as soon as I got back. Was surprised that I actually did stick to it and lost a stone. Back to a 12-14 but want to lose more. V poor will power though!

bastardsgoingtoruetheday Sun 29-Jul-07 23:16:33

I was having a 'laugh' with dh while making dinner, tussling over how much oil to put in a marinade, and said "Fair enough, bung it all in, I'll just let myself go completely"

His response?

"You don't consider 14 stone letting yourself go, then?"

followed by but deep inside really

brimfull Sun 29-Jul-07 23:25:53

The final straw was cholesterol level of 7.4 and bordering high bp.
I started on low carb,clark plan and lost over 3 stone.THat was a year ago and I still want to lose more but slowly is better imo.

Oh yeh cholesterol and BP were back to normal after being on diet for 4 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now