Talk

Advanced search

If you failed at every diet you tried and then something clicked and you lost weight and kept it off .... what was it that worked?

(44 Posts)
sheshootssheimplores Thu 11-Jul-19 22:35:23

I just cannot get myself into a diet headspace. The last diet I tried and failed at was RHFitness on Facebook. I know people love them on here, I stuck to the cals and was always over 15000 steps a day but only lost 2lb over three months. Then I got ill and lost my motivation and here I am just steadily gaining again.

I can stick to a diet but my main issue is they don’t tend to work. I have to tweak them by eating a lot less and then they work but of course I can’t maintain a really low calorie diet without falling off the wagon.

I’m ready to go again but I’m lost. I’m a SAHM, I have mornings when my youngest is at preschool but otherwise I’m looking after kids and around food all the time 😬. Bmi 26 so not huge but I really need to lose 2 stone ideally.

OP’s posts: |
SallyWD Thu 11-Jul-19 22:37:06

16/8. Changed my life.

EssentialHummus Thu 11-Jul-19 22:40:34

5.2 / intermittent fasting for me. It matches my approach to things/willpower perfectly.

wherehavealltheflowersgone Thu 11-Jul-19 22:53:20

Me too OP! I could've written your post! I followed Team RH to the letter and like you lost 2lb in 3 months. Watching with interest

Ginger153 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:12:20

The only thing that ever stuck for me was buying smaller plates and bowls, and weighing rice, pasta etc. So I know how much a portion is. I'm three sizes smaller than I was and keep it off. No dieting. Good luck!

Karwomannghia Thu 11-Jul-19 23:19:42

1000 calories a day to include a bit of ‘naughty’ food eg crisps or a biscuit. Keep going over the weekends. Record it all.
Daily weighing.
Repeating a mantra with every step when walking of next target weight! Positive visualisation of how I would look and feel.
Slow down eating.
Meal plan delicious low calorie food to look forward to and get any tempting food out of the house.
Get plenty of sleep.

Shakennotshook Thu 11-Jul-19 23:23:27

Not helpful but teamRH did my nut in. They can be so bloody rude! Just because a question has been asked before doesnt mean someone doesnt need to ask again!

merlotqueen Thu 11-Jul-19 23:27:47

MY fitness pal and / or virtual gastric band hyposis app, both worked for me

notapizzaeater Thu 11-Jul-19 23:28:38

Fast 800 then 5/2

Featherbag Fri 12-Jul-19 00:47:45

The new WW plan did it for me. I started in May last year and fell off the wagon for the last 3 months of the year, gaining a stone, but I've now lost 51lbs and I'm a stone off goal!

Jon65 Fri 12-Jul-19 00:59:33

An affair . . .

managedmis Fri 12-Jul-19 01:04:28

Tell us more, Jon

For me it was MFP and lower carbing

Jon65 Fri 12-Jul-19 01:14:21

Sorry just bored. What's MFP?

AquarianSquirrel Fri 12-Jul-19 02:03:22

Keto

MadamePompadour Fri 12-Jul-19 02:17:07

Blondie1984 Fri 12-Jul-19 02:22:03

Lots of small changes - learning more about portions sizes, moving more, eating more veg and protein and not cutting anything out

managedmis Fri 12-Jul-19 02:25:02

My fitness pal

rainbowllama Fri 12-Jul-19 02:28:56

Fasting. I do OMAD and never felt better.

Smartcurve Fri 12-Jul-19 02:45:49

Low carb/keto

Mintjulia Fri 12-Jul-19 03:39:33

I threw out the bathroom scales, stopped drinking alcohol (not that I drank much anyway) and took up running.

When I started 7 years ago, I could run four gateposts. Now I can run 10k without too much trouble. Have been a steady size 10 ever since.

ChocOrCheese Fri 12-Jul-19 15:15:56

I used to like drinking beer but stopped that altogether. Did not stop alcohol. That stopped me constantly gaining. For me it was a happy mix of various things. I fell in love with exercise - kettlebells initially. I started losing a bit of weight, loved how I felt and started making an effort. I also stopped eating breakfast as I found I exercise better fasted, and so just fell into the 16:8 fasting method. Also rigorous food logging every single day (and thus calorie counting).

I don't stick to a rigorous calorie goal every day, and if a binge day happens (on holiday, for instance) it happens. I think it is good for the body not to know how much it is going to get every day. I do largely stay away from carbs and I am very particular about enjoying my food. So I would, if very tempted and still have room, have a dessert, but if it does not taste good enough I am capable of leaving it, whereas before I would just mindlessly finish it. Even if I was full before I started it.

WatchingTheWheels85 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:13:31

OMAD

Madhairday Sat 13-Jul-19 08:18:14

Mines 16:8 and lower carving. I lost 2 stone a few years ago with Slimming World, but it was creeping on again so I started cutting breakfast after reading IF threads on here. It's revolutionalised my life. Now I only have breakfast on special occasions and I keep all my eating within an 8 hour window - I only eat lunch and dinner and rarely snack. I also cut out most bread so lunches are generally soups or salads. I do still eat carbs with my main meal but cut down the quantity. I've kept all the weight off this way and it just seems easy now - I never feel like I'm missing out.

Madhairday Sat 13-Jul-19 08:19:36

Lower carbing, that is. grin

StoatofDisarray Sat 13-Jul-19 08:21:12

OMAD and Keto together.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in