Don't you ever just think F*** it?

(6 Posts)
whatdayaknow Tue 04-Jun-19 12:56:36

Hello MN, Been reading through these weight posts. I am 44 perimenopausal and think I have had enough.
Size 16 and the weight has gone up so quick over the past two years.
I spend my life thinking about losing weight and have had enough.

I go through periods when I am not bothered, then times when I see a photo of myself ten years ago then feel the need to diet.

Why am I doing to to myself? Menopause weight happens to everyone and I think why fight it? Maybe I should just accept it and buy bigger knickers!

My mum said it is really hard been in forties and fifties as you still desire the figure you had. She said you eventually get though it and don't give a shit. So, is it worth going through the next 10/15 years trying to recreate a body that you are not meant to have (nature must mean you put on weight for a reason)

Anyone else wanna join me in the 'fuck dieting' club.
(Sh says trying to convince herself its the right thing to do). grin

OP’s posts: |
WhoAteMyNuts Tue 04-Jun-19 15:00:41

I am actually going the other way and am thinking 'I need to keep control over my eating and health'.

I am now at that age when health complaints are more common and I can't keep kidding myself that I can stay fit and healthy when shovelling in lots of food and alcohol sat on my arse watching tv.

Yes it's harder now but equally I know it's more important than ever.

NiceLegsShameAboutTheFace Tue 04-Jun-19 15:43:56

I'm going the other way too. I have at least 60 pairs of knickers, all with matching bras, some quite on the expensive side blush

I'd need to remortgage my house to replace them all grin

Do come and join us on the Menopausal Fatties thread. We're having a good old time on there trying to combat our increasing waistlines.

joystir59 Tue 04-Jun-19 15:52:00

I'm 61 and have had to face facts. The only healthy older people around me are slim. I'm slim too now and after a life time of yoyoing I intend to continue to eat normally and to monitor my weight. I've gone from 14st 9lb to 11st 4lb, just below upper limit of normal for my height. I will continue to maintain a calorific deficit until I'm 10st 7lb. I am not on a diet, I'm eating normal balanced three small meals a day, loads of fruit veg and salad, and any treats (nothing is off the menu) restricted to Saturdays. I tried to ignore my aching joints and breathlessness going upstairs and up hills but inside I knew I was killing myself. I hated shopping for size 20 clothes (sacks).

Crazzzycat Tue 04-Jun-19 16:07:47

I think it totally depends on your motivation. I don’t really care much about what I look like, but I do want to be as healthy as I can be.

For me, that’s worked as a great motivator. In January of this year, it was difficult for me to walk for more than 30 minutes, as I’d get sharp stabbing pains in my heels. And I wasn’t even that big!

Fast forward to now and I’ve lost over 2.5 stone and can easily go for a 4 hour hike. I’ve stayed motivated for all that time, not because I look better (although I probably do!), but because I’ve felt both my physical and mental health improve with every pound I lost.

At the risk of sounding more than a little bit cheesy, I’ve not just lost weight, but I’ve gained a life grin There is absolutely no way I’d voluntarily go back to where I was 6 months ago.

You need to find what motivates you and use it to your advantage! If neither looks or health motivate you, then by all means say fuck it. It’s your life, so you decide!

WhoAteMyNuts Tue 04-Jun-19 16:28:48

Agree that losing a bit of weight makes such a difference in how easier it feels to walk around.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in