Talk

Advanced search

Intuitive /hunger directed eating... Help

(10 Posts)
Elloello Wed 22-May-19 12:13:13

I've been reading about this and the thin book by Josie Spinardi. It really linked with me but I'm afraid. I've spent probably 15 years on one diet or another, quietly increasing all the time. If I stop dieting, am I stopping all hope of ever slimming down?

Intuitive eating talks about your set point, is mine set too high now and I'll forever be sad? Just trying to understand it all.

OP’s posts: |
WhoAteMyNuts Wed 22-May-19 12:31:20

I read similar books on intuitive eating and the bits about why dieting fails was my light bulb moment.

I am not dieting anymore but I am trying to think about what I am eating and why. I try to pick better options to fuel my body with the vitamins and minerals I need but I still eat pizza, McDonald etc when I fancy it.

It's hard to shake the dieting mentality especially when you see other people on diets getting large loses so it's important to remind yourself why that doesn't work for you.,

Since the end of last year I have lost over 7kg but as I am not dieting the loses have been up and down but still in the right direction.

IAmIronman Wed 22-May-19 12:34:46

I am doing this but following a hypnotherapy session which has helped hugely with my body issues and reasons behind my yoyo dieting. I think if I had tried to eat this way without the hypnotherapy it would have just turned into another diet for me.

WhoAteMyNuts Wed 22-May-19 13:08:05

I agree IAm it's very easy to slip back into it's just another diet mentality and I have to keep reminding myself not to do that. I lurk on diet threads and try and use them, in a nice way, to remember why restricting foods, counting calories or following a plan didn't work.

It's terrible isn't it really when you think about how diets negatively affect your behaviour around food. At one point I lost a lot of weight on WW but the system used to set me up to pick certain small packs of crisps over an apple because they were the same points and it was all about the points. I know it's changed but they used to point peas hmm. Also doing something like the MFP just made me obsessive about the numbers. And fasting or restricting eating made me binge.

Interestingly I haven't found my natural weight yet as I still appear to be losing but my desire to binge and overeat has gone which was the downfall for me when I was on a diet.

IAmIronman Wed 22-May-19 14:19:45

Sounds like its wprking well for you WhoAteMyNuts. I have been on pretty much every diet there is and always lost weight but funnily enough am now at my heaviest eversad Early days for me with this way of eating but I feel positive about it. I know I absolutely cannot count or weigh or measure anything related to food anymore.

IAmIronman Wed 22-May-19 14:19:50

Sounds like its wprking well for you WhoAteMyNuts. I have been on pretty much every diet there is and always lost weight but funnily enough am now at my heaviest eversad Early days for me with this way of eating but I feel positive about it. I know I absolutely cannot count or weigh or measure anything related to food anymore.

IAmIronman Wed 22-May-19 14:19:54

IAmIronman Wed 22-May-19 14:20:55

Crikey I didn't mean to post that 3 timesblush It kept saying failed to post! Oops.

nellyitsme Wed 22-May-19 17:17:02

Hi @Elloello there's another thread in weight loss chat about HDE and Josie spinardi's book that's got 49 posts so far. You might want to check it out

BollocksToBrexit Wed 22-May-19 17:35:17

I think you have to discover and address the reasons for your food choices for this to work.

I've been overweight and getting heavier for almost 20 years. I think I've read everything that's ever been written about food and weight and diet, but it never helped. I couldn't control my intake of high fat, high sugar foods. I've been to psychologists, to eating disorders clinics and ever been pushed towards gastric surgery (which I refused). I just wanted to be like my slim friends who are naturally so and don't obsess about food. But I began to realise it'd never happen.

But at the beginning of this year I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Because I'm so overweight said my GP. But from day 1 of using a CPAP at night my appetite and diet have completely changed. The overwhelming drive for sugar and fat has completely disappeared. I'm eating naturally and the weight is falling off me.

The doctor at the sleep apnea clinic said this is very common. The body needs energy and if it's not getting it from sleep then it'll try to get it from somewhere else.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in