Talk

Advanced search

Could it be that exercise does not aid weight loss?

(32 Posts)
SunshineMuffin Fri 12-Apr-19 09:41:31

Please don't slam me. I know all of the science in so many different forms (cals in v cals out/high intensity calorie burners/building muscle to burn calories) but I am really struggling. Here is my experience.

Used to go to gym almost obsessively. Looking back, I was toned. The lowest I could get my weight was sitting just within the 'healthy weight'. That to me was my low weight but when I told people, their reaction was always 'well you don't look that heavy'.

Babies etc later (10 years has gone by), I have kept up with a variety of exercise approx 3-5 x per week. I am a stone heavier. I have been to the 2 main slimming groups and this is what I have seen.

People who do not exercise lose weight quickly.
People who do a significant amount of exercise struggle to lose.

It's not the muscle weighs more than fat thing because if you are building muscle, it will help to burn calories and unless you are super toned, you should still lose fat weight. There might be a plateau then a loss.

I just want to know whether anyone else has experienced an easier loss when they don't Exercise?

StandUpStraight Sun 06-Oct-19 21:50:53

@SunshineMuffin just wondering whether you did end up reducing your exercise, and if so, how it went? I’m a fairly obsessive exerciser but as I get older I’m finding it exhausting. I’d like to cut it back but I’m a bit scared to - always feel so guilty if I miss a day! Intellectually I know missing a day or two is fine and even desirable. But I think I need to find a better balance and get comfortable with doing less.

Dyrne Mon 07-Oct-19 08:20:53

I agree it’ll be people eating back their calories. I only burn 200 calories on a run - if I were to have a mars bar (232 cals) it would completely undo all the calorie burning; and I would in fact be 32 cals up!

I wonder how many people in your slimming group are having extra snacks/bigger portions as they’ve exercised that day?

Clipperclopper Tue 15-Oct-19 16:43:13

It certainly helps IF you are on top of your diet. Diets trumps exercise.
It is the icing on the cake as long as you do not over eat.

Clipperclopper Tue 15-Oct-19 16:45:04

Best advice i got was.
Ignore the cals you burn through exercise.
Do not thin oh great i burnt 600 cals i can now eat an extra 600 cals.
I saw a lot of overweight people in the gym.

BIWI Tue 15-Oct-19 16:48:35

Exercise is undoubtedly good for you - both for your physical and your mental health. But it's much harder to lose weight just through exercise.

The 80:20 figure is quoted a lot on this thread, but Dr Jason Fung, who wrote The Obesity Code, suggests it's more accurately 95% diet and only 5% exercise.

What is your diet like?

QRCode Wed 16-Oct-19 13:30:44

Another interesting read is The Diet Fix by Zoe Harcombe. She is very clear about the 3500 calorie myth and the CICO theory - both rubbish.

Rachaelw02 Wed 16-Oct-19 16:34:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »