Talk

Advanced search

Just can't seem to motivate myself...

(6 Posts)
Gemi33 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:07:29

I have a lot of weight to lose and feel really down about it. I feel like nearly every day I say I will start my diet and be healthy etc but it never happens. I don't understand why despite being desperate to lose weight I just don't seem to have any motivation and can't get out of this rut. It just feels like my head is not in the right place but I don't know how to get it there!

Has anyone else felt like this?

xx

OP’s posts: |
Dashel Tue 19-Mar-19 14:56:05

Personally I need multiple sources of motivation. I watch my 600lb life, any health weighloss type programs like biggest loser or secret eaters and I exercise and use a Fitbit to see how many calories I burn and my logic is that I worked hard to exercise those calories off so I don’t want to waste that.

I also tell myself that I may only get one life and I don’t want any regrets and so I want that dream figure and bikini holidays.

I read women’s health magazine and have numerous fitspiration streams on Facebook which help to motivate me and I have a thread on here I contribute to and friends who I talk to and support who are also loosing weight.

MagicKeysToAsda Tue 19-Mar-19 21:08:14

Is part of it that the whole thing is too overwhelming? I tell myself I am aiming for "1 good day" as in one day of good choices. That takes work and effort but I can do it as long as I just focus on that day. And repeat...and then soon, even with lapses or bumps in the road, I have a little run of good days and I feel I don't want to break that sequence so I'll do one more good day, and so on.

I'm on the 100lbs to lose thread so I do understand about how hard it is to start when there's a lot to lose. But I'm 70% there, having struggled and got stuck and made mistakes but fundamentally I suppose just kept going, 1 good day after another (more or less grin)

Gemi33 Sat 23-Mar-19 07:39:49

Thank you for your replies, that's really helpful. I think part of the problem for me is that I struggle to focus on diet and exercise when I'm stressed and overwhelmed with other stuff - I am very stressed with work and various other things going on at the moment. The trouble is these things are not going to be sorted quickly so I can't get through that and then focus on myself.

xx

OP’s posts: |
SlinkyDinkyDoo Sat 23-Mar-19 07:51:41

Echoing what pp said. One day at a time.

Don't even think in terms of how much you have to lose. Think about your gains e.g better skin, clarity of mind, more energy, organs functioning at their best, disappearance of bad back/knee pain, alleviation of depression/anxiety, more fun, easier to climb stairs etc these are personal to you.

Every MEAL is an opportunity to really take care of yourself. Nourish your body. If you do 'fuck up' (whatever that means to you) draw a line and move on.

Accept that it IS hard but that you are worth it.

frenchonion Sat 23-Mar-19 08:17:21

I find a tracking app super helpful. I've been on a keto diet for 3 weeks and it's been the most dedicated to losing weight / eating healthy I've ever been, and the results are fast!! It does take some planning food wise but I don't feel hungry on it at all so I don't do those hunger / desperation grab a bag of crisps / choc bar slip ups. Not pushing keto on you, but I would highly recommend this as a diet as it just doesn't feel diety to have bacon and eggs for breakfast! But back to the tracking, I think whatever diet or healthy eating choices you make, it's really useful to track on my fitness pal or whatever platform you prefer as it does help keep you on the right path. Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in