Microbiome

(5 Posts)
Thebeardid1t Tue 05-Mar-19 16:02:20

Hi all

Just going to ask, has anyone heard and or tried Microbiome a gut cleanser. It's a 3 week programme that cleanses your gut and gets rid of bad bacteria etc and supports/develops good bacteria.

I wen to a talk last night about it and I am trying to do more research around it.
Your opinions would be most gratefully received.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
Grapetree Tue 05-Mar-19 16:07:55

Be careful a lot of gut/microbiome products are just clever marketing. Most probiotics etc don’t reach the gut and some of the ones that do rarely recolonise your gut. So as soon as you stop taking it the benefits may wear off (that’s if you manage to get any benefits in the first place)

Fermented foods on the other hand seem more promising plus they are much cheaper. Sauerkraut, kefir etc

Also, this idea of “cleansing” your gut... and “good” / “bad” is massively oversimplifying it. Technically any “good” bacteria can become an opportunistic pathogen if you get too much of it in one area etc

Grapetree Tue 05-Mar-19 16:11:52

I previously had bad IBS and drinking kefir as well as taking VSL (pharmaceutical grade probiotic with plenty of real evidence) significantly helped with my digestion

Also there are smaller steps you can do to promote gut health before buying a “gut cleanser” (I’m afraid that name alone sounds slightly quack to me)
I.e. Simply eating more fibre, less sugar, reducing stress.

Thebeardid1t Tue 05-Mar-19 17:53:31

Yes I am very sceptical! However they were saying the same things as my allergy nurse and my Bowen Therapist, regarding bacteria and how it works etc. So there is some truth in it all. To be fair to them I called it the "gut cleanser" for ease and explanation of Microbiome product,in a simple term. I have also email the above professionals to gain their views on it. Thanks for your message.

OP’s posts: |
nellyitsme Tue 05-Mar-19 17:59:36

Look up the website based on the clever guts book by Michael Mosely. He sets out a comprehension programme t o help clear your gut up and to re- populate it. Also read the diet myth by prof Tim Spector and other books on amazon related to the gut

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in