Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody had any success with Slimfast?

(17 Posts)
madamegeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 10:07:50

I'm 3 stone overweight since having my kids and have tried ww and sw in an effort to shed the pounds. I'm down to one pair of trousers that fit and can't face my friends because I feel so hideous. I want to try slimfast to kick start some weight loss then maybe I can keep up the momentum with healthy eating. At the moment i feel so down about my weight I'm stuck in a cycle of eating because I'm miserable and then becoming more miserable because I look so gross. Help!

FioFio Thu 05-Jul-07 10:09:14

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Thu 05-Jul-07 10:13:12

i agree with Fio

and its not a long term thing, when you lose the weight what do you do then? probably go back to old habits, thats what

a change of lifestyle, ie eat better/less and excercise more is what works im afraid

good luck

madamegeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 10:14:19

I don't need a dietician. I could write a book on healthy eating! I don't really want to go down the route of pills. The reason I was thinking about slimfast was to get some weight off quickly as an incentive to keep going if that makes sense

FioFio Thu 05-Jul-07 10:15:56

Message withdrawn

nogoes Thu 05-Jul-07 10:20:47

I agree with what has already been said. The only way to keep weight off is to lose weight slowly. I've crash dieted and always ended up putting the weight back on. I got fed up with trying countless diets and followed weightwatchers I actually ate more than you were supposed but still lost weight although only about 1lb a week, I lost 2 stone and went down to a size 6 and because I had the lost the weight so slowly I found it really easy to keep it off, I managed to maintain the weight loss for 5 years before I fell pregnant.

nailpolish Thu 05-Jul-07 10:22:44

who mentioned pills?

if you already know about healthy eating, all you ahve to do is put it into practice

and exercise

TinyGang Thu 05-Jul-07 10:23:05

I bought a couple of Slimfasts, but I realised that 200 calories is 200 calories whether it comes from an expensive bottle of gloop of from something I like.

So now I just have a 200 calorie bowl of bitesize shreddies for breakfast which is much nicer.

madamegeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 10:23:13

Yeah you're right of course. I do do that but get so upset about my weight during the day that I regularly blow it mid afternoon. I know it sounds pathetic

nailpolish Thu 05-Jul-07 10:24:48

i lost weight by eating porridge all the time. and cutting out bread. i havent eaten bread for about a year. and going tothe gym 3-4 times a week. no matter how crap you think you look, there is always someone worse than you when you get there. i know thats shallow, but its what you think when you first start going to the gym.

TinyGang Thu 05-Jul-07 10:26:02

Do you blow it because you get cravings for sweet things? I've just started taking Chromium which is supposed to help stop sugar cravings.

madamegeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 10:34:43

I just get cravings full stop! I'm aware I'm an emotional eater although bc I was normal weight and had no difficulties maintaining it. Nailpolish how much porridge did you eat?

ernest Thu 05-Jul-07 11:02:09

avoid carbs for just a couple of days. Honestly, the cravings stop really quickly. If I eat sweets I want to eat all the time. I avoid all carbs for a couple of days and the cravings disappear completely, then you can get back on track with proper healthy eating without battling with the cravings

nailpolish Thu 05-Jul-07 11:14:12

i had porridge every morning. sometimes for lunch too. before this i used tohave toast and butter for breakfast and lunch

nailpolish Thu 05-Jul-07 11:14:27

still d ohave it for breakfst every day

madamegeorge Thu 05-Jul-07 11:17:53

Thanks will try it I think

dizzyheather Sun 08-Jul-07 19:37:51

i know you said you tried ww, but it has worked for me after each child (have 3)... you dont even have to go to the meetings you can do it online... but you must never never cheat yourself and take more than the points you are allowed, as you then feel guilty and overeat anyway... if you tend to do that, then the meetings are a must.
i needed the meetings as i needed the disipline..

however the porridge thing is great, it is nice and warm and really fills you up... i eat that all the time when doing the ww plan, the oats so simple range is only 2.5 points and you just add milk and stick it in the microwave. the ww soup that you make yourself is fab too, so keep that in the fridge all the time and when you feel the pangs have that only .5 ( or more porridge!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now