Talk

Advanced search

I havent eaten since friday

(27 Posts)
EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 17:28:28

and Im not hungry, is this normal?

In the last month I have gone from 12 stone to 10 st 10 lb. Should I be concerned?

lissie Mon 02-Jul-07 17:30:00

this is not healthy or normal. you should see a doctor asap

lulumama Mon 02-Jul-07 17:31:22

that is a big weight loss

and not eating is not normal

are you taking in fluids?

you can make yourself very very ill doing this

nogoes Mon 02-Jul-07 17:33:39

If you crash diet it will be impossible to maintain the weight loss. You are potentially risking serious health problems.

lissie Mon 02-Jul-07 17:37:45

if you do not eat for long periods your body gets used to not feeling hungry and you get a temporary rush of adrenaline. after a while your body literally starts eating itself, your breath smells, your hair falls out your skin becomes thin and dry. it is not a good luck and definately not worth being a few lbs lighter for.

indiasmum Mon 02-Jul-07 17:40:41

are you trying to lose weight or are you poorly (or potentially both?)

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 18:34:13

im not trying to lose weight actively, ive just cut out eating all the crap i used to, no biscuits chocolate etc, im still drinking lots of juice, water and tea, just no appetite, its completely tailed off the last few weeks, i dont even fancy cooking for my family any more as i dont enjoy eating

PrincessButtercup Mon 02-Jul-07 18:49:37

Think you should see a gp if your appetite has fallen off so drastically. Not eating is NOT good.

I can understand that rich/creamy/stodgy foods will be unappetising after cutting down on this type of food for a while - this isn't a bad thing - but how about some lean meat or fish and fresh veg, balanced out with some wholegrain in some form? Try and keep your fridge fully stocked with healthy, snacky food so you can eat little and often without having to make a big effort...

Hope you're ok.

daisyandbabybootoo Mon 02-Jul-07 18:53:53

this could indicate an underlyng medical condition that needs attention. Please see your GP as a matter of urgency.

I hope you are OK

AbRoller Mon 02-Jul-07 18:56:02

You need to see a gp. Sounds like you have ketosis(sp?) and that is why you are loosing your appetite. This is very dangerous and most certainly not worth loosing weight for. You will put weight back on and if you do this for long you may leave yourself with permanent organ or other system damage.

Go to the doctor.

AbRoller Mon 02-Jul-07 18:58:08

Sorry, last post sounded like a scolding.

Really, it's not right and I'd be concerned for anyone in your situation.

Do get medical help and best of luck.

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 20:02:00

Just sat with DP and LO as they ate, and I just didnt want to, I picked at some quiche, just didnt fancy it. bugger, i used to love my food x

dinny Mon 02-Jul-07 20:15:57

so what happened - you started a diet and now you can't eat?

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 20:51:29

yeah pretty much

dinny Mon 02-Jul-07 21:23:58

have you suffered from eating disorders before?

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 21:41:07

no, crash diets some times, but i have always loved food and cooking etc. I put on 5 stone when PG with my DD who is now 9 months. Went from 9 st 4 at 12 weeks PG to 14st ...

Wisp Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:52

I have found when I go into ketosis, I cant stomach anything for days. This is due to a medical condition though.

Try eating something, and see if that helps. I would definitely get it checked out though.

sparklesandwine Mon 02-Jul-07 21:53:46

i really think you should make an appointment with your gp first thing this really isn't normal your lack of appetite could be caused by a number of things so best to get yourself checked out - i'm sure your dp must be worried about you too!

not eating for that amount of time really isn't healthy and if you have been on sensible diets before then you know this already

i know its been said before but regular healthy meals are what you should be eating to loose weight the right way - sorry just need to ask this but do you bf or bottle feed?

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 21:57:55

I bottle feed my DD now, and DP hasnt mentioned any thing so i dont think he minds.

Look, im seriously not trying to lose weight im very happy with the way i am, ive got the curves that ive never had before and i like my body, i was just trying to find out if its normal to go off food for a bit.

I did try eating at dinner, just not bothered about it, i dont fancy any thing so i looked through a cookery book for some inspiration to make me cook tomorrow and it made me feel really sick.

EmilyandLola Mon 02-Jul-07 22:17:56

im going to make myself eat a bowl of bran flakes, otherwise il be no good for DD tomorrow. night all

sparklesandwine Mon 02-Jul-07 22:26:47

good luck and do make sure you see your gp, take care

Chelseamum Mon 02-Jul-07 22:29:02

be careful as you can be depleting your body from essentials like IRON... i suffered badly when " i wasn#t hungry for a while"...

gess Mon 02-Jul-07 22:38:08

If you haven't eaten since friday you may well be in ketosis which can make you nauseous. DS1 starts throwing up if he doesn't eat. I find that starting with water plus sugar for a while before giving toast and other foods helps him keep it down.

Whoooosh Mon 02-Jul-07 22:42:52

I didn't eat for two whole weeks back in Jan due to an emotional trauma-my nails are still suffering now!

Small benefit was the weightloss but I really do feel I may have doen some more serious damage to my body.

If nothing else-drink smoothies,buy protein powder fron health food shop and mix with juice or pref milk.

*This is not doing you any good*.

Lazycow Wed 04-Jul-07 16:22:10

Yuu have probably gone into starvation mode. If you eat very little for long enough your body stops feeling hungry as it is a waste of energy and concentrates on conserving reserves. Once all your fat reserves are gone you will start to feel hungry again. However you need to be very thin for that to happen and you will start to become very malnourished. You need to start eating again even if you aren't hungry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now