The Diet Fix -Zoe Harcombe

(13 Posts)
Moanranger Mon 31-Dec-18 16:59:32

I have been planning a healthy & weight loss focussed Jan, & read an article about this book. I was intrigued, so bought Kindle version for £5+.
Very interesting science behind her approach & explains a lot about why diets do not work, why people on same regimes get such different results, why plateaus occur. The Diet itself is not too radical, low carb, lots of veg. Key advice is no snacking, no calorie counting, max 3 meals, sufficiently large to get you thru the day/night.
This is first book that actually explains why alcohol stops you losing weight. Usually just get that as a “rule” in most regimes. If I know why something needs to be avoided, I am more likely to avoid it, rather than following some abstract rule.
Anyone else read this?
I will be starting tomorrow

OP’s posts: |
Gwenhwyfar Tue 01-Jan-19 09:58:15

I saw an article about her in the Sunday Times magazine and wasn't impressed. She was railing against diets, but is very slim herself and obviously eats very carefully. On the opposite page was what I can only describe as her 'diet plan'.

Moanranger Tue 01-Jan-19 18:26:12

The article didn’t reflect the book. It differs from mainstream diets in a number of ways: no calorie or “points” counting, no use of exercise to get an extra calorie allowance, no snacking. She follows a very strict regime, hence she is slim. I am sure it is not for everyone.
I have always felt it is better to leave long intervals between meals, and she backs that approach up with science. There is also a “food combining” element: certain foods are not eaten together.
I am going to try it and see how I get on.

mummymacphee Tue 01-Jan-19 22:17:20

Hi,

I lost 2 stone on the Harcombe diet a few years ago and, once I got into the swing of it, I didn't find it too difficult. I've downloaded the new book to my Kindle so I am up for giving it a go - but not until I go back to work on Thursday!

Need to do a big healthy shop - more veg, less chocolate!

Cherry321 Tue 01-Jan-19 22:20:14

Yes I lost weight on the Harcombe diet. It's hard initially, but stopped my sugar cravings and worked very well even though I have PCOS.

McWilde Wed 02-Jan-19 00:46:58

I lost a couple of stone on this, found it quite easy after the initial weeks. It beat my sugar cravings and it did wonders for my hair and skin.
Not entirely convinced about the food combining for weightloss, but I was eating fruit and veg by the truckload.

AntiHop Wed 02-Jan-19 00:49:00

I think the science behind it is sound.

Advertisement

mummymacphee Wed 02-Jan-19 10:33:10

The downside is the prohibition on processed food. I am happy to cook from scratch most of the time but there are days when I'm really busy and it would be so handy to just pick up a couple of ready meals. I guess I'll just have to get more organised and fill the freezer!

McWilde Wed 02-Jan-19 11:42:44

@mummymacphee
What I used to find good if I needed something quick was either a humous wrap/pitta.
Or if a proper meal is needed, I used to have quickly steamed cauliflower and broccoli cheese with some roasted chicken.
Cheese sauce made quickly by Creme Fraiche and roule cheese and some cheddar heated up in a pan while veg is steaming and then throw some chicken from a packet on the side.

McWilde Wed 02-Jan-19 11:43:33

Or marks and spencer do some ready meals which are Harcombe friendly grin

mummymacphee Wed 02-Jan-19 14:59:05

Thanks for those ideas. Also v interested to hear about M&S - a new food store is being built near my office and is due to open in February so I’ll have to check out the meals there.

Just finishing off a big box of Maltesers before getting back on the straight and narrow tomorrow blush

mummymacphee Sun 03-Feb-19 21:31:58

Not sure if anyone else started on this way of eating but I have lost 11 pounds in January so quite pleased with that. I did a dryish January which helped with cutting out the snacking.

Can't deny that I miss the carbtastic crap but the results are good enough to keep me going!

Moanranger Mon 04-Feb-19 23:02:49

I kind of drifted off it, so am trying a different tack. Following the Judith Beck guidance, where you establish good habits, THEN start restricting calories. So I am writing an eating plan every day, and following it. I have been doing this for about five days, & have so far learned 3+things: don’t go too long between meals -I get crazy busy, eat breakfast 8-9 am, then no lunch til 3:30, not a good idea! 2) the old “wait 20 min” rule to feeling full. And 3) which sort of follows from 2) eat food that takes awhile to finish, e.g. porridge rather than a croissant in the morning. I am going to do this for a couple of weeks til I get the habit established.
I do like the Harcombe approach. Long period between evening meal & breakfast; I rarely over-eat first thing, it’s later in the day that’s the problem.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in