Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Herbal Life - what's it all about then ?

(8 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Wed 20-Jun-07 16:50:57

A friend of mine is considering going on a Herbal Life weight loss program - . Anyone done it , whats it all about or is it a sales pitch ?

CaptainUnderpants Wed 20-Jun-07 19:15:16

bump

WigWamBam Wed 20-Jun-07 19:31:44

A friend of mine sells Herbalife products and I have to say I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. It's a sales thing - and their sales tactics seem to be to find a few people willing to try their products, and then push and push those people to buy more and more. My friend claims to have lost over 4 stone using the products she then went on to sell, but I know for a fact that she didn't - she has always been slim, but has to lie to satisfy the company brief and get people interested in the product.

They have a couple of programmes, one uses vitamin/herb tablets, the other uses meal replacements - the meal replacements are like Slim Fast but taste worse and cost more. I don't know about the tablets but seeing as how they only work as part of a calorie-controlled diet I feel their claims are dubious, to say the least. It's the calorie-controlled bit that loses the weight, not the tablets.

They claim to do counselling along with their diet plan, but their counsellors are simply the people who flog their products - like my friend. And she is no more a counsellor than I am. She is just trying to sell the stuff to make money. And it's a real hard sell as well, so once your friend starts, she'll find it hard to get away.

My advice would be to steer well clear.

CaptainUnderpants Wed 20-Jun-07 21:25:49

Must admit i'm a bit about it. I was there when my friend had her inital telephone consulation and listened in on the speaker phone. Nothing was said that my friend didn't already know . I suppose peopel who sell herbal life are just sales people, what training do they have in diet control and nutrition - none I suppose .

scatterbrain Wed 20-Jun-07 21:29:23

It's Yuck really yuck !! My friend tried being a seller or whatever they call themselves - gave me a weeks worth of freebies - gave me chronic tummy ache, and I had to stop it. Another good friend had been following it - the vitamins side - not meal replacement for months - she lost a pound or two - but not much and spent so much money on it !

Like so mnay of these things I thik it's a con. The vits are good - but they don't make you lose weight - not a wonder cure unfortunately !

CaptainUnderpants Wed 20-Jun-07 21:54:54

So should I advise her to stick to Slimfast then

WigWamBam Thu 21-Jun-07 11:38:25

My friend had no training in diet and nutrition. All of her "training" was done by another Herbalife consultant, and the nutritional side of it consisted basically of a list of claims (none of which she has ever been able to substantiate or even elaborate on when I've asked) about the ingredients of the tablets. Diet and nutrition doesn't come into it because their consultants are only there to sell you their products, not help you with your weight loss in any other way.

I wouldn't actually recommend SlimFast either; she would be better off (and it wouldn't cost so much!) sticking to a healthy diet and getting some exercise. It might be good as a way to kick-start a diet, but in the long run it doesn't do anything to change your eating habits.

CaptainUnderpants Thu 21-Jun-07 13:37:22

Thanks , I've told her to try Rosemary Coloney GI diet if needs be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now