loader

Talk

Advanced search

Atkins

(35 Posts)
kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 21:07:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elasticwoman Tue 19-Jun-07 21:44:05

Atkins diet is quick fix at best, extremely unhealthy at worst. Woman at dh's work was hospitalised after following it, having seriously damaged an internal organ (liver I think.)

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 22:04:57

WelshGirlie Tue 19-Jun-07 22:19:00

Four years ago I lost 2.5 stone in 3 months on my version of atkins. Which was essentially the atkins diet but two pieces of bread were allowed either in the morning or lunchtime, and gin was allowed so long as it was accompanied by slimline tonic! White wine was also allowed so long as it was mixed 50:50 with soda water.

I ate salads with lovely dressing on them and a different type of meat or lovely cheese or prawns of an evening. These were massive salads and I never felt hungry. Varying the protein and the salad dressing stopped me feeling like I was limited.

I did this June-September so it was warm weather and I wasn't craving mashed potato and pies!

When I stopped eating like this it took about eight months for me to put any of the weight back on, then I slowly went back to my bad overeating habits and have packed the lot back on again.

I found it really effective. I did no exercise. It wasn't eating normally that put the weight back on as I managed that for 8 months. It was daily overeating and too much beer.

The good news is that I have lost the best part of a stone in the last few weeks and seem to have the overeating under control once more!

I suggest that you tailor it to suit you. And drink lots of water to keep your kidneys healthy.

hamma Tue 19-Jun-07 22:26:44

it will pass - why not look at India Knight's new book, an up to dat version of Atkins works really well.

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 22:27:10

lyrabelacqua Tue 19-Jun-07 22:29:31

Drink more water. You will feel a bit strange at first but then you'll feel full of energy. I think the energy is supposed to kick in in the second week.
I did it last year btw.

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 22:30:19

WelshGirlie Tue 19-Jun-07 22:30:37

Ah yes, neat whisky was allowed on my version too! :D

I think no pasta, no rice, no spuds and very limited bread - and no fruit (the enemy on atkins due to sugar!) should make a big difference.

Good luck with it missus.

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 22:37:08

cylonbabe Tue 19-Jun-07 22:38:04

LTOS ANDl OTS of negative stuff has been written about atkins. it is very controversial.
however, it does work, if you stick to it, assuming there are no underliying health problems. one of the things the guy keeps reiterating is to get checked thoroughly by a doctor before starting the diet.
are you using the book? if not, then i reccomend you get it from the library if need be as loads of useful advice on what to expect etc.

the reason a lot of people put weight back on is that they go back to their old habits of eating. atkins is a lifelong change in eating habits. not a quickfix to lose a few pounds. in fact, unless you have well over a stone to lose, i would suggest you not be on the induction for more than the initial two week period.
i cant really comment on your symptoms, except to reiterate the advice about drinking lots and lots of water. no caffeine etc. i cant stand meat, so end up having a lots of eggs and fish. and ofcourse chicken, which i cant stand at the moment either. cheddar cheese, andlots of green veg are also yummy.

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 22:43:57

joash Tue 19-Jun-07 22:49:15

Atkins is supposedly dangerous. I did try it and it made me very ill.

cylonbabe Tue 19-Jun-07 22:51:18

depends on what your bmi is i think.
mine was 30.5 when i started. although tbh, i didnt go to the doctor as i was worried she would discourage me from something so drastic. and i was i n a place where i was ready to do this. dc3 was four years old , and i weighed more than i did when full term with dc1.
i've never dieted before as just dont have teh self control to stay hungry, which is what all other diets seemed to me to do. i like atkins because you can eat when ever you want to, and as much as you want to.
i've moved on from induction now of course, and find that i actually eat more healthily now, as i dont eat processed stuff so much. if a tall. bread is the thing i miss the most.
because life now revolves around kids, my eating patterns are also different. its willpower at the end of the day. if you decide to do this, then its something that needs to be followed throuygh with, iyswim. everyone has an opinoion that they are entitled to.
i need to stop waffling now, probly stopped making sense after the firtst sentence.

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 23:19:01

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 23:20:45

joash Tue 19-Jun-07 23:37:56

followed it religiously - ended up in hospital with problems with my kidneys, difficulties in swallowing but when I did manage to swallow - an inability to keep any food at all down. On a more minor side - permenant stomach cramps, spotty sallow skin, hair falling out, etc etc

kamikayzed Tue 19-Jun-07 23:40:17

joash Wed 20-Jun-07 09:14:03

Yes - and it took at least six months to recover,

lyrabelacqua Wed 20-Jun-07 10:21:45

Your reaction was pretty unusual though wasn't it?
I felt better than ever on Atkins, with far more energy and better skin.

joash Wed 20-Jun-07 11:25:50

No - apparently it's a very common reaction to the Atkins diet, trouble is, you don't iscover this unless you're one of the many that it affects in this way. Found it physically impossible to eat the amounts that they advocate - especially all that meat. I think it's very telling that the guy who devised the diet died fairly young and very overweight

MarshaBrady Wed 20-Jun-07 11:35:04

It does work quickly but isnt a great way long term of keeping off weight imo. I hated doing it, the thought of eating more meat made me feel annoyed and irritated, and no carbs, god it was hard. I couldnt keep it up very long, then your body has a strange reaction to eating carbs when you stop, you might want loads! I know it works well for others, but if you can find a more balanced way i do think it would be better in the long run.

OrmIrian Wed 20-Jun-07 11:37:47

joash - the whole point of Atkins is that it helps to suppress appetite so it is rare that anyone can eat huge amounts of meat. And I don't remember reading anywhere in the book that there are any required recommendations re quantities. You eat until you stop being hungry. If you had kidney problems it might have been because you were eating too much protein and not enough fat. Atkins is a high-fat diet, not a high protein diet.

I don't think he died young. He was in his 70s wasn't he? And he gained weight because he had stopped following his own diet and because an injury had prevented him exercising - something that he frequently recommends to anyone following his diet.

joash Wed 20-Jun-07 11:48:31

He was in his 6o's - which is young. ANd if you read properly, there are recommended lower amounts

OrmIrian Wed 20-Jun-07 11:50:44

Really? Where? I have read it reasonably properly afaik. The only quantities I've ever seen were upper limits for salad and veg in induction, and dairy in the later version of the diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now