Talk

Advanced search

Running....

(9 Posts)
AuntyJackiesBrothersSistersBoy Tue 09-Oct-18 20:12:22

I’ve registered with MFP. It allows me 1200 daily calories. I’m struggling so, wonder what is the best form of exercise to give me some added calories to play with? I’m thinking running or at least a go at Couch25k. I’m 11 st 10lbs and 5ft 5”. It’s not good.

Also, would running shoes make it easier? Might seem like a silly question but I’m a bit clueless. Any make/model suggestions?

I’ve GOT to DO something. I feel crap.

OP’s posts: |
Hairytangerine Tue 09-Oct-18 20:15:12

I never eat my running calories. I just done 5k tonight and only burnt 300.

Would low carb suit better as you arnt restricted by calories? I find it much easier to stick to

MagicKeysToAsda Tue 09-Oct-18 20:27:46

Running, to my utter shock, does make me feel loads better smile Couch to 5k convert here, stumbling along since April this year and finding it's great for my head, as well as my legs! That said, like PPs, I don't eat my exercise calories - I tend not to lose otherwise. I'm only doing 40 mins 3x a week - if people were more hard core than me (not difficult!) then I guess it would be different. I think proper shoes do help prevent injury and make the whole thing more sustainable. I didn't spend a fortune but I did buy specifically chosen shoes.

I would struggle on 1200 calories - is that for a 1-2lb/week loss? Lots of omelettes and hearty veg soups?!

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 09-Oct-18 20:40:06

I run 6 days a week, around 40km total a week, and I eat 1200 calories a day, and I eat low carb. I’ve lost 3stone this year.

I will say I agree, I don’t eat my exercise calories (at least, I don’t if I want to lose weight- sometimes I use it to earn me a massive feast!) and also be warned that running makes me hungry, so it’s sometimes a real challenge not to eat and eat and eat. But the contrast to that is the mood improvement makes me less likely to want to comfort eat, and I have now a lean overall muscle tone which has changed my body shape tremendously.

Running shoes are a good idea, but they don’t have to be mega expensive ones. I have karrimor ones that were about £40 in the sale. They have lasted well and are supportive and comfy, although my next pair I will size up 1/2 a size I think.,

ArkAtEee Tue 09-Oct-18 22:47:48

Get decent supportive shoes or you will wreck your feet. Running sports shops do gait analysis. After you've bought your first pair you can get them cheaper online. And get a very good sports bra. Otherwise you don't need anything.

I would say it doesn't burn many calories though, particularly when you get used to running, your body will become more efficient. Weight lifting is supposed to be better as it increases lean tissue which burns more calories. Beware of the estimates given for running on Fitbit etc, take them with a pinch of salt. Running will build some muscle but only on your legs.

AuntyJackiesBrothersSistersBoy Wed 10-Oct-18 12:24:17

😊 Have made a vat of vegetable soups this morning!

Thanks for the advice. Can anyone recommend a decent shoe as I already have painful feet (am56).

ArkAtEee Wed 10-Oct-18 12:57:27

You will need a gait analysis, everyone's feet will be different.

AuntyJackiesBrothersSistersBoy Wed 10-Oct-18 14:16:36

Ok. Thanks.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 10-Oct-18 14:56:31

I found a lot of my local running shops don’t do gait analysis anymore, it’s quite a detailed procedure and I think people were taking their business online after using the service. There’s a thing you can do with wet feet on the floor to see the arch of your foot and certain styles will he better for certain arch shapes.
It’s worth checking your local running/sports places and at least asking their advice if they don’t offer the gait analysis service.

https://www.runnersneed.com/expert-advice/gear-guides/gait-analysis.html

This seems to be a good starting point for information and contains the ‘wet foot test’ info too

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in