Losing weight but not in the right places!

(5 Posts)
TomHardyswife Sun 19-Aug-18 11:52:23

Hi

Well I'm doing well in my weight loss journey but I have a problem that it isn't coming off in the right place.

I'm a typical pear shape. My frame is very small from the waist up.. Small waist, shoulders, arms etc but I have big thighs, hips and bum.

I'm going to the gym a couple of times a week and doing a mix of cardio and weight training, doing an all over body workout but trying to focus on my lower body. I've just read online that you cannot spot train and no matter how much you focus on one area, it won't necessarily come off in that one area.

I've lost about half a stone in about three weeks and I'm happy to see things are going in the right direction but I've just seen my mum yesterday who commented that I'm looking a bit gaunt in my face and my collar bones are sticking out! However after trying a pair of jeans on last night, I'm disappointed to see that I'm not losing weight in the problem area and instead it's coming off in the places that are already skinny!

Anyone any advice on this?

OP’s posts: |
OohOohMrPeevly Sun 19-Aug-18 21:05:24

I don't think there's much you can do about this other than something drastic like liposuction. It's rubbish isn't it.

KittyWindbag Mon 20-Aug-18 07:24:45

I feel your frustration here! I’ve lost about ten kilos since I started exercising and eating less junk and everything seems to be looking slimmer except this spare tire round my lower belly! It drives me insane because everyone says belly fat is the quickest place to lose but doesn’t seem to be the case for me.

I had a baby via csection just over a year ago and I’m wondering if this contributes to the problem.

Keep going. I’m sure your mum doesn’t mean to say you look gaunt. I wish I was more pear shaped than apple shaped. I think curvy bums are lovely.

mistermagpie Mon 20-Aug-18 09:27:00

There's nothing much you can do about it. Even at 8 stone 10 (I'm 5 foot 8) with sticks for arms and legs, I still had a pot belly. I'm just apple shaped and you can't really change it. You can target exercise to certain areas which might help, but you can't change your shape or really influence where weight loss comes from.

You can dress for your shape though a d enhance the bits you like.

QueenOfMyWorld Mon 20-Aug-18 10:13:38

I find that the first place you put weight on is the last place you lose it so it might take longer to change the appearance of your lower half,it will happen though

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in