Keto diet

(5 Posts)
WeightorWhite Thu 16-Aug-18 07:07:53

Yay or nay?

I've 70lbs to lose.

OP’s posts: |
FATEdestiny Thu 16-Aug-18 08:47:55

You just need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

You need a calorie deficit if you use the keto diet.

You need a calorie deficit if you use the 5:2 diet / 16:8 diet / slimming world / weight watches / blood sugar diet... or ^any other diet you use*.

So if you have a particular desire to eat as close to zero carbs as possible, alongside high fat foods (high protein diet is key to most healthy diets, not just keto) in order to maintain your calorie deficit, then go for it.

You can lose equal amounts of weight maintaining the same calorie deficit in other ways. It depends what suits you best.

Whatever diet you use, I'd recommend becoming fluent in the language of calories. You don't necessarily need to count calories long term. But you will need to basic understanding of how many calories in the types of food you eat, and what a correct serving size (in terms of weighed out grams) for those foods looks like.

Having more of your calories from protein and fewer from carbs is the makings of a healthy diet in a very basic sence. Then ensuring a calorie deficit to lose weight. Once you've done these two things, all the rest is largely insignificant.

Isayeichnotheich Mon 20-Aug-18 20:17:58

You need this subforum:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/low_carb_bootcamp
I'm about to go there and ask some questions. Have been doing it for four days.
And they are broadly against calorie counting on bootcamps. To be honest, it's quite difficult to overeat fat without combining it with carbs, and there's only so much protein and green veg you can fit in your stomach, I'm not hungry on it at all, but I'm not looking forward to meals in particular and miss the texture of something bread-like desperately (as far as I understand it is allowed moderately on maintenance but not to start the weight loss of course)

WeightorWhite Tue 21-Aug-18 12:29:16

@Isayeichnotheich I'll head over there!

OP’s posts: |
Isayeichnotheich Wed 22-Aug-18 11:39:03

Yeah, I've finally located the thread where all the talk between bootcamps(keto- diets/LCHF) happens, and lots of people join and get support before the official bootcamps:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/low_carb_bootcamp/3314775-The-final-weigh-in-Low-Carb-Bootcamp?pg=1&order=

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in