Talk

Advanced search

How much weight before people notice the loss

(31 Posts)
Jenasaurus Tue 07-Aug-18 07:55:34

I have lost 9 pounds in 2 weeks (I know mostly water loss at this stage and expect to settle to 1-2 pounds a week) but I have gone from 13 stone 9 to 13 stone and I do feel like my face looks slimmer, I have another 3 stone to go, just wonder from other peoples experience when it becomes noticeable to others? at what point did people realise you were losing weight, if like me you haven't told anyone your on a diet?

OP’s posts: |
whiteroseredrose Tue 07-Aug-18 11:00:30

In my experience it takes ages! I'd gone from size 18 to 14 before anyone noticed. They're less aware of slight changes than you are.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Wed 08-Aug-18 14:39:36

I had 8 to lose, and first got comments when the first stone or so was gone. I've lost exactly two now, and it's very noticeable.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 08-Aug-18 14:49:50

I'd lost 2.5 stone before anyone noticed.

ADayAlwaysHasToEnd Wed 08-Aug-18 14:59:39

I've currently lost 2 (gone from 11.7 to 9.7) and people haven't noticed or if they have they have said anything 😞

RomanyRoots Wed 08-Aug-18 15:02:45

It depends how overweight you are.
if I lose half a stone, people notice.
my bil is very obese and lost about 4 stone before anyone noticed.

StormTreader Wed 08-Aug-18 15:12:14

I've lost a stone so far and friends have noticed when they hug me but not just to look at yet, I'd say its more like a 20% loss before people really notice.

ivenoideawhatimdoing Wed 08-Aug-18 15:13:58

Just short of a stone for those close to you but wider circle I found it was a couple of stone unless you’re only slight in which case a little is a lot.

beela Thu 09-Aug-18 07:31:23

I read that:
1 stone you notice
2 stone your family notices
3 stone everyone else notices

It was sort of true for me - I recently lost 3 stone and got most comments after 2 stone. I agree with pp though, it depends how much you had to lose to start with.

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Aug-18 07:52:38

I had 7 1/2 stone to lose (1 stone to go...) and it took about 4 stone loss for most people to start commenting.

From about 6 stone loss it is the very first thing anyone mentions to me, and pretty much everyone I come across mentions my weight loss.

What beela wrote is about right. But I guess the more you have to lose, it needs to be scaled up. I didn't notice much difference going from 17st to 16st. By the time I got to 15st I could tell.

Theromanempire Thu 09-Aug-18 10:25:29

I have lost just short of 2 stone since the beginning of April and have only had 3 (non-family) people have commented on it so far - the first person was a close colleague who commented after about a stone, the second was a less close colleague who commented after approximately a stone and half and then the other day was my nail technician who I only see every 3 weeks who commented and was surprised that she hadn't noticed before when I told her how much weight I had lost.

It seems really noticeable to me but I guess it really isn't to other people...but I also know that I am exactly the same and never notice other people's weight loss so why would I expect them to notice mine confused

I have another 2 stone to go so I assume by the time I lose 4 stone, it will be really obvious (although I am not doing this for anyone other than myself!)

danni0509 Thu 09-Aug-18 11:23:13

I lost nearly 2 stone no one commented at all I went from 14st 3 to 12 st 5

Then put a stone on and I'm just back on it now.

Does get annoying when u work hard and no one mentions it!

I took pictures on week 1 and week 12 though and the difference was stupid! I'm surprised no one noticed tbh.

Jenasaurus Thu 09-Aug-18 13:10:50

Thanks, well im a stone off now and another 2 to go to reach target. I have gone down from a size 20 to a size 16 and still no ones said a word! I think it will take until I hit target to notice. Its odd as when I gain weight people notice straight away.

Elledorado Thu 09-Aug-18 14:15:14

Ppls who have experienced an ED (either personally or through someone close to them) learn never to comment on weight loss, even if it's obvious ... just something to consider so you don't get disheartened!

wafflyversatile Thu 09-Aug-18 14:16:44

When you buy new clothes or when your current clothes are falling off you.

wafflyversatile Thu 09-Aug-18 14:18:44

Its odd as when I gain weight people notice straight away.

How do you know? Do they say so? Maybe you are just surrounded by gits.

Elledorado Thu 09-Aug-18 14:23:22

Yes who comments straightaway when someone gains weight?!

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Aug-18 14:35:48

It's not good for your wellbeing to be seeking this attention anyway.

Boredboredboredboredbored Thu 09-Aug-18 15:03:38

I do think it depends on how heavy you are too. I lost one stone last summer from 10st 10 to 9st 10 and it was very noticeable.

Jenasaurus Sun 26-Aug-18 10:41:32

Right, seriously annoyed now, not cheated at all, been following Cambridge diet, religiously and now this has happened!

July 26th - 13 stone 9
Aug 2nd = 13 stone 5
Aug 9th - 13 stone
Aug 16th - 12 stone 10
Aug 23rd - 12 Stone 6
Aug 26th - 12 stone 11!!!! - I know not an official weigh in date, but I felt slimmer jumped on the scales and it told me I have gained 5 pounds

Anyone gained so much weight on 3 milkshake packs (200kcal each) and water a day! I am gobsmacked, the only reason I jumped on the scales was because I felt so much slimmer and was excited to see what I weighed, now im depressed

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 26-Aug-18 12:13:41

I think it was after about 10kgs for me and that was from someone who hadn't seen me for a while and she commented that my face was thinner! I think people you see everyday just don't notice it.

beela Sun 26-Aug-18 13:26:12

But you've lost nearly a stone in a month? Scales do go up and down, you need to look at the overall picture.

Also try taking measurements instead of weighing.

Well done on your weight loss.

OliviaBonas Sun 26-Aug-18 13:28:12

Too blooming long!!!

MrBeansXmasTurkey Sun 26-Aug-18 13:34:35

I agree with that 1,2,3 st earlier. Sometimes if you have lost a bit someone may notice you look a bit slimmer but not want to say in case you haven't really and its just a fluke.

MrBeansXmasTurkey Sun 26-Aug-18 13:38:56

Anyone gained so much weight on 3 milkshake packs (200kcal each) and water a day

It can't be fat if you have stuck to plan 100%. There are just not enough cals there to not lose, even though you can get a few stalls if your body is messing about but a big gain like that means you have either retained some fluid or something. Or maybe the scales are not accurate or something like that. Dont let it get you down. If in doubt contact your counsellor.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in