Talk

Advanced search

Does your period affect weight loss?

(5 Posts)
MaryBoBary Tue 24-Jul-18 12:00:44

I’ve just started a diet 3 weeks ago. Weighed myself last week and was 11 stone 4, weighed again and was 11 stone 8. I’m really annoyed because I’ve been really good with my eating, and been out running 4 times this week. I’m on my period this week - will that have an effect?

OP’s posts: |
itsBritneyBeach Tue 24-Jul-18 12:04:52

Yes - don't feel bad about it! Weight changes throughout the day anyway and on your period with all the bloating and hormones, it's even more noticeable!

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/article/5-reasons-you-experience-weight-gain-during-your-period

Not sure how accurate this is!

Threehoursfromhome Tue 24-Jul-18 12:31:31

Yes, it causes water retention for a lot of women. If you have been running a more than usual, that may be compounding matters, as the muscles retain water as part of the damage repair process. There may also be an increase in your cortisol levels due to the physical stress of increased exercise, which again can lead to water retention.

Make sure you're drinking enough, and see what things look like next week.

AuntieStella Tue 24-Jul-18 12:41:07

Yes, I always used to stay constant or even go up in the run up to a period and the first day or two. Then it would swoop down (assuming I had stuck with healthy eating).

Of course, when periods go haywire/stop (perimenopause) everything changes again.

MaryBoBary Tue 24-Jul-18 20:56:38

Thank you everyone

@Threehoursfromhome yes I have just started couch to 5k so hopefully that is the answer! I’ll see if next week is better.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in