Talk

Advanced search

Help me stop self-sabotaging?

(4 Posts)
ppandj Wed 27-Jun-18 16:00:40

I am really hoping someone will be able to point me in the direction of sorting this out...

I want and need to lose weight, not a massive amount- just 2.5 stones to get to healthy BMI and my "ideal"- and have been "trying" to do it since having my first son 3 years ago (have since had second last year). I've tried Slimming World but found I ate too much pasta because I could and I struggled to keep within my syn allowance.

I've started Weightwatchers last June and managed to lose 1 stone, which I have almost put back on. I find this much easier to stick to when I am in the zone.

Previous to having children I was size 6/8 and went to the gym 4 times per week, I found it quite easy to maintain a weight of around 9 and a half stone despite eating more sugary food than I should, most likely due to doing a lot of exercise. I don't expect to be back at this weight or size, I am aiming for a size 10/12 and a healthy BMI.
BUT I am constantly sabotaging myself by
• binge eating in the car- family packs of chocolate, half a packet of biscuits and then the rest of the packet later
• eating drive-thru McDonald's while at work (I work evenings in the community)
• snacking on kids' leftovers
• secret eating chocolate or biscuits if we have them in

I don't know why I'm doing it and am getting so angry and frustrated at myself. It's like I'm an addict and have pretty good willpower when it comes to other stuff but can't control the bingeing on sugar. I like healthy food and I really enjoy some types of exercise (classes, country walks, bike rides when I can get use of a bike).

If you have ever been in this cycle of self sabotage what did you do to break it?? Please help!

OP’s posts: |
Liliuk Wed 27-Jun-18 18:08:39

For many years I have done what you did. Lost weight for my wedding, put it back on. Lost weight with WW. Put it back on. At 40, I decided enough was enough. I needed a lifestyle change, not a diet. I cut down on refined carbs in favour of low GI carbs (legumes), reduced my portions. Tried to remove most industrial food (seriously, am not a great cook, I do easy simple healthy throw it all in the pan kind of food). Tried to listen to my body again, listen to it's complaint when I eat bad food (industrial food) and feel what is really hunger Vs wanting to eat because I am in a bad place (look into "I can make you think" by Paul McKenna. I was plesantly surprised by how it impacted me positively). I lost 6 stones in 2 years. I think the key is realising it's a lifestyle thing, not a diet thing. Good luck

ppandj Wed 27-Jun-18 21:26:40

Ah thank you! I did wonder about Paul McKenna as I think he does a sugar one. I will definitely look into that now.

What about a Fitbit?

OP’s posts: |
Titsywoo Wed 27-Jun-18 21:40:49

I'm the same. Cutting out sugar (so way down on carbs) helped the most as it removed all the cravings and I just wasn't hungry much. The moment I eat bread or pasta again I can't be controlled! It's a battle for me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in