Talk

Advanced search

Feeling a bit disheartened

(10 Posts)
mavornia Wed 13-Jun-18 13:25:42

I’ve lost 2.3kg since 23 May. I’ve limited my calories to 1500 per day and I’m tracked by everything through MyFitnessPal. I joined a gym and I’ve been working out with weights with a personal trainer twice per week and a further session by myself. I also go a fourth day in the week and do the cross trainer for half an hour. I have a quick swim after each gym session.

I walk my dogs for at least an hour each day (uphill, hilly terrain). This walk covers between 10,000 - 12,000 steps alone.

For breakfast I have plain porridge with berries, low fat Greek yoghurt with berries or scrambled eggs with one piece of whole grain toast.

Lunch is usually eggs and salad, whole meal pitta pocket with falafel and salad, tuna sandwich.

Dinner is baked fish or chicken with lots of veg and a small amount of brown rice or three or four roasted new potatoes.

I keep hearing how people lose lots at the beginning. I guess I’m just feeling a bit disheartened and impatient. I thought I would have low a bit more but I know it’s early days.

Does it sound like I need to reduce my calories a bit more?

StormcloakNord Wed 13-Jun-18 13:27:28

That's around 5lbs. That is a healthy amount to be losing.

Izzadoraduncancan Wed 13-Jun-18 13:27:30

For 8 weeks I would drop to 800 cals and get rid of the bread, rice, potatoes etc

mavornia Wed 13-Jun-18 13:29:11

Sorry for spelling errors - autocorrect.

On the plus side, I’m feeling great with lots of energy. I haven’t snacked at all, no crisps or biscuits etc and I haven’t been craving them. Just wish I had more to show for it.

mavornia Wed 13-Jun-18 13:31:34

I should add I have type 1 diabetes. My diabetic team is very against a very low carb diet (although some people do use this approach, especially in the US). I’ve been trying to have a small amount of healthy, whole grain, low GI carbs

Strongbeatsskinny Wed 13-Jun-18 13:40:41

You’ve done incredibly well losing that amount in just 22 days well done.

mavornia Wed 13-Jun-18 14:17:01

Thanks for your responses. I know it’s heading in the right direction but I was feeling quite smug when I jumped on the scales and then a tad deflated when I got off. You make changes and expect it to melt off. I’m trying to look at it as a lifestyle change and I’m surprised at how much I’m enjoying the gym. Never thought I was someone who could go to the gym or count calories etc but I’m doing it. I’ll keep going.

800 calories per day seems very low but I’ll look into it.

Kittykat93 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:19:21

I wouldn't drop to 800 calories a day, especially with all that exercise you're doing. I think your diet and exercise sounds brilliant! And your weight loss is good. Try not to be disheartened, keep doing what you're doing. I wish I could have the same discipline grin

prunemerealgood Wed 13-Jun-18 14:19:41

Well done. You're building up muscle as well so that'll make it look like you're losing less weight than you'd think. They say that you should go by cm lost - keeping a record weekly - rather than kg.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Wed 13-Jun-18 14:26:39

Sounds counteractive but I'd put my money on the problem being not enough calories! With that amount of exercise you could be eating up to 1000 calories less than you should be (yes, to LOSE weight!) Depending on how much you weigh at the moment and how much you're aiming to lose per week. If really recommend RH Fitness on facebook.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: