Talk

Advanced search

Exercise for an asthmatic

(2 Posts)
rainbowlou Thu 31-May-18 23:25:44

After some months of illness I’ve been diagnosed with adult onset asthma, but awaiting further tests on lungs etc...I am struggling to exercise as normal and gaining weight, not to mention feeling crap, lethargic and unfit!
Walking my children to school is my limit at the moment and it’s really getting me down ☹️
Can anyone suggest which exercises (preferably done at home) i can do to help?

OP’s posts: |
StringandGlitter Sat 02-Jun-18 00:01:19

Hi I've had asthma all my life so am used to it, to have it onset as an adult must be a bit of a shock.

What type of exercise did you do before? What medication have you been offered? I find certain types of exercise beneficial for asthma e.g. Weightlifting, swimming, cycling. I know they are not at home ones though. You could look into body weight exercises to do at home as they might help build strength without affecting asthma.

When you get your medication sorted you'll probably find it a lot easier You'll probably be given a daily steroid inhaler to take and a reliever inhaler to take if you need it. Keep on with the walking. You may need to slow down a bit at first to give your lungs a chance to catch up.

Running is an issue. I can usually manage it if I take extra puffs on my reliever inhaler before I start running, but even then there's something about running that makes my lungs feel as though they are shutting down and sometimes I just can't do it. If you're struggling with walking then give even thinking about running a miss until you get your medication under control. It's something to do with blood flow and the intensity of running that triggers asthma. It's a pain. To that end if you do exercise videos choose ones that are low impact (I.e. no jumping around) anything that is high impact can be triggering.

Hope that helps, it's not the end of the world. You just have to be a bit more mindful. Get to know your triggers e.g. Dust pollen etc. And always, always always carry your inhaler with you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in