What's the magic formula???

(3 Posts)
Oneofthosedreadfulparents Thu 31-May-18 14:45:17

So, I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to lose weight, had great intentions, had two or three brilliant days when I ate well and exercised, then quickly slipped back into my normal, lazy, greedy ways. But I've also had successful attempts at weight loss - after my first pregnancy I lost three stone over a period of about 9 months and kept it off for years, with another pregnancy in the middle - so I know I can do it!!
Started again two weeks ago, this time everything is clicking into place. Now, I'm not naïve enough to believe that it's going to be easy, and I've got it sussed this time - but I was wondering, what are the key things that make it more likely for me to succeed? And if I work it out, can I make those same things happen for me again if needed in future?
So far, the things I've identified are:
A catalyst to make me really want to lose - this time is was a short holiday with friends, which meant a few days out of the normal routine, in the fresh air, lots of walking - and awful photos of me that I don't want repeated!
Clear goals - I've got a concert at the end of July and a holiday in August, and picturing myself wearing nice clothes for both of those is really motivating.
A decent plan - I've got a daily calorie target on MFP, a running distance I want to build up to and a definite need to cut down on alcohol intake, so three really positive things that I can build into a plan.
Time and space to make the plan happen - it's half term this week, so more time to concentrate on planning and preparing decent meals and time to get in some runs before work.
I feel that, if I can understand why it's currently going right, I can keep it going. So what are the key things that make it work for everyone else?

OP’s posts: |
OohOohMrPeevly Thu 31-May-18 23:10:32

In my case giving up sugar was a life changer - stopped me craving it and bingeing on it. My appetite shrunk and food stopped being my raison d'etre.

AlfredDaButtler Thu 31-May-18 23:15:03

I’d say maybe forget about having two targets at once. Either focus on your eating or your exercise and then after a few days you’ll probably find that you naturally start to, or want to, make the effort in the other area too. Be honest with your MFP too!

Think about how you feel with different food groups. I know from bitter experience that my body won’t lose weight if I don’t watch my carbs as well as my calories. I also can’t eat back any of the calories MFP gives me for my steps for the day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in