Starvation mode

(5 Posts)
user1471553214 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:36:43

I always believed this was a thing but recently I’ve seen a couple of threads completely dismissing it. Can anyone point me to some credible research or explain why it’s been dismissed? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Singingtherapy Mon 12-Mar-18 13:56:57

There's lots of research which should be easy to search for. I remember reading a while ago that it's a myth, that weight loss continues at a constant rate when calories are reduced. And there's plenty of anecdotal evidence as well - you don't see many fat anorexics! People who starve themselves get thinner and thinner.

user1471553214 Mon 12-Mar-18 14:05:46

But those people are radically starving themselves, I’m talking about just generally eating less than would be advised to lose weight. There’s loads of research obviously, I don’t know what’s credible and lots of it says starvation mode is real so, confused confused

OP’s posts: |
IJustLostTheGame Mon 12-Mar-18 15:58:25

I think my body does have a starvation mode. It takes me two weeks to lose even half a pound when starting a diet. It falls off pretty consistently at a pound a week after that.
I think people scoff because it's seen as a permanent thing when actually it's not. It just takes some people's bodies longer to adjust.

Bluntness100 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:02:57

It's nonsense. I think the research showed that if you starve your body your body's metabolic rate will slow down to counteract it. But you'd have to be pretty thin for that to happen and the research was on men if I remember correctly.

I think there's an abundance of research and diets which show If uou cut your calories and keep moving you will lose weight. Millions of people prove it daily.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in