Talk

Advanced search

Just done day one of 30 day shred

(137 Posts)
neonrose Mon 19-Feb-18 10:36:28

I fucking hate it!

Anyone else shredding?

I'm going on a walking holiday in the summer - 15 miles a day for 10 days over some decent hills, so I really need to get fit(ter at least! And lose weight.). I'm now wondering why I ever thought it was a good idea, I'm much more suited to holidays that involve leisurely meals, gentle strolling and ice-cream!

Ive had the DVD for years but only ever done maximum 5 days at a time. I've never even got out of the first section.

I'm only working a couple of days this week and next week so I'm determined to do it at least 5 times a week for the next few weeks. Even though I fucking hate it! I really hope it will be getting a bit easier after a couple of weeks. Please someone tell me that I will notice a difference in my ability/stamina in that time?

I suffer a bit with shin splints/pain, it's one of the reasons I've stopped in the past. It's particularly the butt kicks, and to a lesser degree the jump rope exercises that I can feel triggering it; so I find myself holding back a bit on these. Maybe I'll just have to do more jumping jacks instead - they don't seem as bad. I don't want to get really sore because that will stop me getting the miles in with the walk training. I'm hoping losing weight will help.

Purpleknickers Mon 19-Feb-18 15:11:27

Hello I love the 30 day shred but I have been so lazy and not done it for ages.
I fully intend to do it straight after work today and every week day. I'm rubbish at the jump rope too so I also substitute jumping jacks

Lets stick with it see how we get on, I photographed my progress last time each week and it was very noticeable so I am determined to do it again

DancingRoundTheKitchen Mon 19-Feb-18 21:32:38

I've done it before for (more than) 30 days and it def gets easier. I also think level 2 is easier than level 1.
I've restarted it this week after about six months of no exercise. Really ached after the first two days but it's getting better now. I'm determined to stick to it this time. Got about 2 stone to lose!
Let us know how you get on!

neonrose Mon 19-Feb-18 23:38:01

Hello fellow shredders!

I'm not looking forward to the aching in the morning! I am also determined to stick to it this time though.

Pleased to hear it gets easier, and that the elusive level 2 is not too horrific. I think when I even have just done it for 4-5 days in the past I've noticed an improvement. It's pretty amazing your body can change so quickly really.

I have a big mirror in my living room so kept catching sight of myself doing the dvd, I did think about taking photos to watch any progress. Maybe I will tomorrow!

meladeso Mon 19-Feb-18 23:39:04

I'm about to start having not looked at it for about 6 years! Good luck everyone

neonrose Tue 20-Feb-18 10:53:09

Yay day 2 done!! grin I think I must have been in a more positive mindset today as I found it easier to keep going and only swore at Jillian once!

Are you starting today meladeso? Did you manage to get started after work yesterday purpleknickers?

I wasn't aching as much as I thought I might be this morning, really just across my chest and my shoulders a little bit. Think the legs will be feeling it tomorrow though.

I've been on a diet for a few weeks and really felt like I could notice a difference when I looked in the mirror this morning, so that's probably contributed to my positivity today.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 20-Feb-18 11:01:30

I tried it once but was very unfit and managed about 4 days. This thread has inspired me to dust it off and restart- I’ve been running regularly since jan and I’m a lot fitter, but I need something to alternate with run days!

DancingRoundTheKitchen Tue 20-Feb-18 17:57:33

I haven't done it yet today and I neeeeed to.
Really can't be bothered though!

Rainatnight Tue 20-Feb-18 18:02:01

I need to do this and I'm scared.

OP, I've done holidays like that before and you don't need shred fitness levels (not trying to put you off shredding if that's what you want to do!). Going on some day hikes in this country is a good way to build your fitness, and it's surprising how quickly your stamina builds on the holiday itself.

neonrose Tue 20-Feb-18 21:29:50

Thanks rainatnight, I want to be as light as I can be so there's less weight for my feet to carry and as fit as I can be so I enjoy it as much as possible. I'm pretty overweight and unfit at the moment so that is very reassuring to hear though! I'm building up my walking distances as well.

Did you enjoy your walking holidays?

If you've been running thenewaveragebear I'm sure you will find 30 day shred practically easy this time around! Let us know how you get on.

Have you been doing it everyday DancingRoundTheKitchen? I think I'll aim for 5/6 days this week and probably 5 after that.

Rainatnight Tue 20-Feb-18 21:35:57

I loved them. I wouldn't have thought of myself as particularly active or sporty before I started hiking but I got really into it. There's nothing like sitting down to your dinner after all those miles behind you! And you'll sleep better than you've ever slept before.

beela Tue 20-Feb-18 22:35:03

Hello! Can I join in please?

I've done 30 day shred and ripped in 30 a few times, most recently last December. I got a body coach dvd for Christmas so have been doing that for the last couple of months but I think shred is harder! So I'm back for another cycle.

I started on day 1 yesterday too.

What weights does everyone use? I'm on 3kg weights and my shoulders are aching today!

DancingRoundTheKitchen Wed 21-Feb-18 06:39:14

I was planning to have 1 or 2 rest days a week but I'm worried if I have a day off I won't start again.
I only use 2kg weights and that's definitely hard enough for me at the moment. My arms definitely feel the burn!
Does anyone use my fitness pal? I've been logging it as curcuits but I have no idea how many calories I'm actually burning!

neonrose Wed 21-Feb-18 09:27:01

Ooh I feel all excited now Rainatnight. I'm hoping I'll sleep well from exhaustion - sharing rooms with friends which usually doesn't give me a great nights sleep.

Absolutely join in beela, it's good to have people who've completed it before on this thread, to reassure this of us who haven't it is possible! I switch between 3kg and 1kg weights, except for the anterior raises, those are a killer for me and I can only manage 1kg! 2kg would probably be ideal for most of the exercises but I'm not buying more.

I use my fitness pal DancingRoundTheKitchen, I also log it as circuit training, 20 minutes, and it says I burn 275calories. I'm sure it must be more than that though because I've felt really hungry these past 2 days, much more than when I've been on a long walk, which according to mfp burns more than twice as much.

Day 3 done. grin Didn't feel quite as energetic today. Don't you just love the chest flys when you get to lies down for another 30 seconds after abs!

Rainatnight Wed 21-Feb-18 09:58:15

What part of the world will you be going to? Are you doing self-guided or with a guide?

(I'm living vicariously through you as your hiking days are on hold due to tiny DD!)

Ofthread Wed 21-Feb-18 12:48:11

2kg weights is quite a lot! I’m a fellow ‘never got past the first section’ here.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 21-Feb-18 14:17:31

Well I was all motivated to reunite with Jillian, went in to YouTube and found that I now have to pay! That shows how long since I last used it! So instead, Ds and I did a 30 minute fitness blenders workout, which was a bit like the shred but not as intense. Probably better actually as I found some of it really strenuous!! I think I’m going to order the dvd off amazon, and alternate runs and workouts until then, then alternate runs and shred.

00alwaysbusymum Wed 21-Feb-18 21:08:31

Hello - I started 30 shred on Monday too ! And yes I go from hating it to thinking it's not that bad it's only 20 mins and back to I hate it !
So just completed day three

Really want to lose 2 stone in 60 days so going to try shred and SlimmingWorld and a piyo class, just really hope I can stick to it.

I was a bit amazed at who ever said they have a 3kg weight I use a 1.5 kg weight and find that hard ! Should I be trying to increase the weights ?

Purpleknickers Thu 22-Feb-18 08:28:49

Day 4 done and I am feeling positive although I have a few aches to be honest, I do it first thing in the morning as that suits me better, if I try to do it after work I find any excuse I can to get out of it. I also remember reading somewhere that it puts your metabolism into burn mode for a while afterwards so I am going with that theory grin

I use 1.5kg weights too and they are enough for me

beela Thu 22-Feb-18 10:26:16

busymum I use 3kg but I did it all the way through with 1kg, then all the way through with 2kg, before I got to 3kg.

I was watching Joe Wicks on TV the other night and he was doing similar exercises with weights that had 10kg written on them shock

Spam88 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:42:39

I use 0.25kg weights 😂

Rainatnight Thu 22-Feb-18 12:52:04

My 18 month old DD can pick up my weights blush

DP refers to them as 'your weights that the baby plays with'

neonrose Fri 23-Feb-18 11:31:59

Day 5 done-di-done this morning (and day 4 yesterday, just didn't have time to post), I much prefer doing it on the morning as well. Gets it over and done with but also means I start the days already feeling like I've achieved something.

I almost don't dare say it but I think I found today a tiny bit easier! And I had no aches when I got up this morning. When I do tomorrow that will be the furthest and I've ever got, and to be honest probably the most exercise I've ever done in a week in my life!

I think I might try level 2 before the 10 days is up, not because I'm finding level one easy (hahaha!), just a bit bored of hearing the same things, can always go back to level one if it's too hard and just turn the sound right down like I did today.

Re weights, I've pretty much stuck with the 1kg, sometimes use 3kg for the bicep curls and chest flys as I find those the easiest.

Keep it up everyone, we'll be shredded in no-time grin

00alwaysbusymum Fri 23-Feb-18 12:42:02

Should you do the 30 shred every day or have any rest days !

beela Fri 23-Feb-18 17:24:53

Not sure busymum. On ripped in 30 she says to always have at least one rest day per week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: