Talk

Advanced search

I gave myself January off - healthier me starts now!

(48 Posts)
mmarmalade Wed 31-Jan-18 20:52:45

January is too long and depressing to deprive myself of all the treat food that is inevitably hanging around after Christmas, but enough is enough now. I gave birth to DC2 just before Christmas and have sat on my arse eating biscuits ever since. If I don't lose some weight soon I'll need to buy some new (bigger) clothes and I could do without spending the money. I'm not going to do a particular diet - I'm just going to stop buying biscuits and get out for more walks with the pram. If I feel obliged to report on my progress on here it might be motivational... here's hoping! Anyone with me?

mmarmalade Wed 31-Jan-18 20:56:08

P.S. Starts tomorrow and obviously pancake day doesn't count wink

kaytee87 Wed 31-Jan-18 20:59:51

Hello 👋
My ds is 18 months. I gained just over 3 stone whilst pregnant  lost 2 of them very quickly and another stone over the last 11 months by sporadically dieting and doing exercise videos before he gets up in the morning.
I'm 11,6 so 3lbs from pre pregnancy weight but would ideally like to get to 10,6. I'd love to lose between 6&8lbs over the next 8 weeks as I go on holiday for Easter.
I can't exercise as I'm recovering from an injury (can't even walk) so everything has to be diet. I'm trying to have breakfast much later and cut out snacking, hopefully that will have an effect.

kaytee87 Wed 31-Jan-18 21:01:04

I ate chocolate tonight as I have a bad cold and felt sorry for myself sad

Fancy a Tuesday weigh in?

WipsGlitter Wed 31-Jan-18 21:01:39

Me too. Scoffing the lady of the rocky road tonight.

Just watched that Michael Mosley thing on bbc - might try the brisk ten minute walk thing.

Weight-in tomorrow morning shock

glenthebattleostrich Wed 31-Jan-18 21:03:06

I'll join you. I go on holiday in 9 weeks and need to lose at least 1 stone nearer 4 to fit into my shorts and swim suit.

My plan is at least 12000 steps per day. Low carb, no more than 1500 kcal a day and out of the next 65 days I will do an exercise video / class on at least 50 of them. Oh and alcohol only twice per week (some stuff already in the diary)

Started today and came in at 1531 kcal, 16700 steps and did a 15 minutes HIIT workout.

Silvertap Wed 31-Jan-18 21:04:53

I'm in. I've had horrendous habits this January meaning I've put on over a stone. My clothes don't fit and I feel awful. I've been really stressed at work but it's now become a cycle that I eat and get more stressed and eat again. It needs to stop.

Was reading a good thread in AIBU earlier about someone eating 6 chocolate bars. That's been me all January and I hate it

Weigh in tomorrow. 1 stone to go before may 1st is my goal

mmarmalade Wed 31-Jan-18 21:16:22

Hello everyone. I'll weigh in tomorrow. I have approximately a stone of pregnancy weight to lose plus another 2 to get to a comfortable weight.

glenthebattleostrich Thu 01-Feb-18 06:59:33

Morning

Stepped on the scales and 14 st 4.8

Urgh. Lots of walking planned today, toddlers then up a hill beside my house. Aiming for 15000 steps then do some ab and upper body work tonight.

mmarmalade Thu 01-Feb-18 09:21:38

It's a bit worse than I thought - I'm 14st 11 blush
Plan for today - only eat when hungry, walk to shops (don't buy biscuits) and walk the nursery run. It's gonna be a long process... good luck everyone else!

kaytee87 Thu 01-Feb-18 09:25:23

It's ok@mmarmalade you've recently had a baby! I didn't start deliberately losing weight til ds was 7mo. I was just too tired before that!
Small gentle changes as you say, walking and no biscuits should start to make a difference.
It's a beautiful day here today I really wish I could take ds to the park. Stupid broken ankle/leg sad

mmarmalade Thu 01-Feb-18 09:49:36

Kaytee - shame about the injury but at least you'll be on your feet by the time the weather improves (and hopefully before your holiday)! I've never been one for exercising much so need to watch the snacks and walk everywhere. It's so easy to stay in for baby cuddles when it's cold but I am going a bit mad after spending most of January on the sofa!

kaytee87 Thu 01-Feb-18 10:09:04

I know @mmarmalade I'm so looking forward to summer. I said to the physio id like to be off crutches for my holiday and she made a 'hmmmm' noise though sad

Now it's getting a bit brighter it will be easier for you to get out and about. January is for hibernating especially with a new baby.

I've had a slim fast shake for breakfast and am planning to have an apple, oatcakes and bit of cheese for lunch. Going to keep my weigh in day as a Tuesday and try my hardest not to weigh in between.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Thu 01-Feb-18 10:13:28

I stated using the My Fitness Pal last week and lost 2lbs really recommend it. It's also shown me I'm not getting enough nutrients.

Silvertap Thu 01-Feb-18 13:32:58

Morning all.
I made Bircher muesli for breakfast today which was lovely. I don't drink milk so it's a good way of getting some calcium.

Lunch was 3 sausages with lots of carrots, broccoli and kale. Satsuma to finish.

Tea will be a squash and chickpea salad.

Aiming for no snacks. Not sure if I can make the gym session I'm booked in for tonight.

Weighed in at 10.9 this morning which is a good stone over my "perfect weight".

glenthebattleostrich Thu 01-Feb-18 17:55:47

mmarmalade, have you tried a baby sling? DD and I used to walk from miles with ours. It was lovely. I had a moby wrap, then graduated to a woven wrap as she got bigger. I was 15 stone when I had her and by the time she was 18 months I was 11.5 stone. Then I stopped and got fat again!

FauxFox Thu 01-Feb-18 18:14:09

Can I join you? I don’t need/want to loose a lot of weight - maybe 4lb or so, but I too have had a rubbish unhealthy January and look and feel like crap!
I am going to not drink alcohol, am going to drink loads of water, make sure I eat at least 5 a day and no processed crap and take a multivitamin every day. I’d love to be part of a healthy chat thread if it’s ok?

Silvertap Thu 01-Feb-18 18:48:16

How's everyone got on today? I've just put the kids to bed and am having a hot bath. If I can avoid the snacks tonight I'll be really pleased with myself

mmarmalade Thu 01-Feb-18 20:48:27

I've been for a couple of (short) walks and not eaten any biscuits so it's been a successful day! There are no snacks left in the house now so I'll try to keep it that way.
Glen I have a sling but I'm not a huge fan of them- I might have to persevere though as DS2 isn't happy in the pram at the mo.
Hello to the new joiners! And good luck to those with a small amount to lose - I've never been close to my ideal weight but they must be difficult pounds to lose!!

Silvertap Fri 02-Feb-18 14:26:26

Mmarmalade - I got on very well with a Mandica. I really miss being able to wear my children!

Bircher muesli for breakfast then squash and chickpea salad for lunch. Probably doing mushroom risotto for tea. Really hoping to avoid the wine tonight! No excercise today. Just trying to get diet under control this week then will up the ante on the exercise next week

mmarmalade Fri 02-Feb-18 18:55:52

Silver your diet sounds pretty healthy! We have a local sling library so I may go and try some others. I find the baby gets too warm and doesn't look comfortable but it's easier than wrestling with the double buggy and then having him cry.

I've done ok today - reasonably active although we're having a takeaway tonight but just chicken salad kebab so not too bad. No pudding. Probs my a glass of wine. I feel hungry for it which is a change as when I've grazed all day Ive not had chance to feel hungry - that's a bad habit!

Silvertap Fri 02-Feb-18 20:32:52

Ended up having pasta puttanesca for tea. A hairy dieters recipe I go back to again and again.

Did quaff 2 packs of quavers and 2 yo go's though. But restrained myself from the wine and cheese and biscuits.

Have just stayed within mfp cals!

Am off to ikea tomorrow - anyone know hoe bad meatballs are?!

mmarmalade Sat 03-Feb-18 19:22:12

What a day - up since 4am and have been battling baby and toddler tantrums all day (the dummy is getting phased out and it isn't going down well). Crumpets for breakfast, apple for lunch and just had poached egg and mushroom on toast and 2 Rice Krispie squares - probably ok calorie wise but not the healthiest. Ah well, ''tis a long road! DH is working late so early night for me (baby permitting). Hope everyone has had a good day!

mmarmalade Mon 05-Feb-18 10:35:34

Cheeky weigh in a day early - 3lb off!! Happy with that. How's everyone doing?

glenthebattleostrich Mon 05-Feb-18 12:45:36

Morning,

My AF arrived today, so feeling bloated and blurgh. Sticking well to 16:8 so hopefully when I weigh on Thursday the scales will look good.

The exercise is going really well, at least 12000 steps each day, apart from yesterday but I took DD swimming so was in the pool for an hour. That was good.

Well done on the loss, that's brilliant. Especially with a non sleeping baby!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: