Talk

Advanced search

Pcos

(72 Posts)
Shnazzyshot Wed 24-Jan-18 14:28:21

I've recently been told I have pcos. I know it's slightly harder to loose weight when you have this but I'm really struggling.

About a month ago I cut out all my binge eating and all snacks. I just eat 3 meals a day. I have no self
Control so if I have a snack, I will just keep snacking so the easiest thing for me is to not snack at all.

I've also joined the gym, started running and do hiit workouts at home.

No alcohol since I started.

Why am I not loosing any weight?

An example of what I'm eating...

Beakfaat... pancakes made with eggs, banana and protein powder

Lunch... roasted courgettes, peppers and onions with chicken in a high protein wrap.

Dinner shepards pie made with carrot and swede mash and broccoli and cauliflower.

I've honestly cut my food intake in half. I would easily eat a multi pack of chocolates in one sitting. Loads of junk every day.

Any advice?

kaz86 Wed 24-Jan-18 18:57:43

Hello. I have pcos too.
Loosing weight is really hard.
Your food sounds great although I don't know your portion size.
I find I can only loose weight exercising and i mean really work outs. I'm gutted as I can't any more as have a prolapse. It's making it a lot harder 😭.
Also are you on metformin.

Shnazzyshot Thu 25-Jan-18 07:34:29

It's so disheartening isn't it? I just feel like I'm doing it all for nothing.

I'm not on anything. My doctor just said you've got pcos the best way to help is to loose weight but it will be hard to loose weight. That was it. What is metformin?

Sorry to hear about your prolapse. Are you getting it sorted?

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you manage to loose any weight before?

JaimesGoldenHand Thu 25-Jan-18 09:09:24

Hi

I have PCOS and I still forget how much it affects my physiology. I struggle to lose weight (after exercise really helps) and have a massive sugar addiction.

I've recently realised that excess sugar makes me sweat, especially at night, so really trying to cut down.

Shnazzyshot Thu 25-Jan-18 09:39:13

It's really shit isn't it? Seems to affect everything.

I'm wondering if a low carb diet will help.

JaimesGoldenHand Thu 25-Jan-18 09:48:24

It should do, Schnazzy. Also switching to wholemeal bread, pasta, rice etc will help. If you have sugar cravings, try making low sugar muffins or eating Nairn's ginger oatcakes. Better to cut out completely though if you can. I gave up sugar and white flour etc for over a year and felt fantastic. Then slipped back...

You can get PCOS cookbooks - though the ones I've read are all a bit depressingly lentil-knitting in style.

Shnazzyshot Thu 25-Jan-18 09:54:21

Thank you for replying. I literally never eat white anything. Seeded bread, wholewheat pasta ect. But I've tried everything to lose weight. At the moment I'm having f three meals a day and no snacks. I'm hungry all the time working out loads but still no weight loss.

I think the next step is to try lowering my carb intake and see if that helps.

JaimesGoldenHand Thu 25-Jan-18 10:35:09

Or try 5:2. I had a lot of success with that too but struggling with it over the winter!

kaz86 Thu 25-Jan-18 22:27:36

Metformin is actually a diabetes medication but it's really useful in pcos where we are insulin resistant. It helps turn glucose to energy rather than store it! I have been on it twice to get pregnant it helps with wait loose it's awful for my ibs. I have found a natural alternative. It might be worth asking your doctor about metformin though 😁.

Shnazzyshot Fri 26-Jan-18 11:15:12

I looked it up after you mentioned it and I will probably ask the doctor about it. As I'm just a bit sick of trying so hard and getting nowhere.

Shnazzyshot Fri 26-Jan-18 11:17:44

Does it help you get pregnant too? Or was it to lose weight to get pregnant if that makes sense? I became pregnant with dc 1&2 on the first try but since all my problems we've been trying for about 19/20 months for dc3.

Friedgreen Fri 26-Jan-18 11:27:21

I gained weight with metformin as it caused my cravings to get worse. I’m in a similar position to you but I take 10k steps per day plus 3 strenuous workouts plus 1600 calories a day. Everything in total should help me to lose, but I seem to only be maintaining.

My gaene has told me to keep at it - a lot of pcos weight is water weight. Apparently the diet and exercise will eventually cause a strinking of active cysts and regulate hormones which will eventually lead to weight loss, but it is a hard slog.

JaimesGoldenHand Fri 26-Jan-18 11:54:27

Friedgreen that's really interesting about shrinking the cysts and need to persevere, thanks.

kaz86 Fri 26-Jan-18 16:12:53

For me I lost weight and got pregnant smile.

AmericanosBlueJeansandChinos Sat 27-Jan-18 04:16:23

Cut out carbs guys, it’s the only thing that worked for me and I was huge. Weight fell off me at rate of about 1 stone a month and I got pregnant v quickly.

Hesburger Sat 27-Jan-18 04:36:29

Hi there,

I followed a low gi diet and combined it with WW.

I found the psychological part the hardest to overcome - when I wasn't losing weight. I was hoping to get myself healthier for TTC, so tracking my cycle on an app.

The toughest times were the weeks before my period and this was where I would lose any willpower and there would be very little change. Once I was a bit harder with myself during the second two weeks of my cycle I found that I had steady losses each month once all the bloating/water retention had gone.

It's tough but I found it helped.

ladybird69 Sat 27-Jan-18 04:49:05

Hi would it be ok if I join you I haven’t got pcos or though I have some of the symptoms the results were negative. I am morbidly obese I’m ashamed to say, but even after eating one meal a day usually a salad I can’t lose weight. People who I tell that don’t believe me you can see them rolling their eyes and imagine that I live in the chip shop!!!! My Dr wants me to go to a weight management course but they won’t believe me too! I’ve got to go back to Drs in March so I really want to try and get some weight off on my own. Is the low carb diet like the diet for diabetes? I hope you don’t mind me butting in. And sorry for the essay and any advice would be gratefully received by a desperate fat lump flowers

mustlovedogs Sat 27-Jan-18 04:53:01

@kaz86 can I ask what the natural alternative is that you've found? I have ibs too. Very few medications agree with me.

kaz86 Sat 27-Jan-18 07:37:13

Chromium picolinate.
Took that for baby number 3.
At the moment I'm taking liquorice as it's suppose to be good to cut down on androgens. As I'm growing a beard 😭😩🤷🏼‍♀️.

Shnazzyshot Sat 27-Jan-18 08:58:12

Lady, what do you mean the results were negative? Did you have an ultrasound and blood test? You can still have pcos without having polycystic ovaries weirdly.

Thanks kaz, I'm going to look into that. Can you just get it from holland ns barrat type shop?

I've been doing a litt of reading and it does seem that low carb is the way to go because of the insulin resistance. I just love potato sad

kaz86 Sat 27-Jan-18 12:24:01

Yes I'm the same. :/
Although I'm guessing a jacket potato is better than bread?
Yes from Holland and Barrett smile.
Also b vitamins and cinnamon (never tried the cinnamon though!).
Also yes I went for test about 9 years ago now, my blood work was positive and symptoms however didn't have cysts on my ovaries!
I'm not sure now as I get more ovary pain.

JaimesGoldenHand Sat 27-Jan-18 12:44:43

Jacket potatoes surprisingly bad. Very high GI I'm afraid. New potatoes aren't terrible.

xLauraa Sat 27-Jan-18 15:31:05

I (potentially) have PCOS. And (potentially) have done for quite a while.

I've dropped from 96kg-80kg (35lbs-ish) so far

I've been on all the fad diets there is and now I don't do any. (They're too controlling)
I eat what I like in moderation. (This doesn't mean I eat a small amount of cr+p). I make heathy choices and watch my portions and if I want a bar of chocolate one day I blooming well have one 😊
I walk every single morning and I gym 4 days a week minimum.

You can also eat too little which will make you retain fat, as your body isn't getting enough energy it stores the fat to "survive".

xLauraa Sat 27-Jan-18 15:35:39

@ladybird69 eating too little will make your body hold onto the fat. I'm sure you've heard people say "you can eat too little" and it's 10000000% true! Get active, even if it's just a 30min walk as many days in the week as you can, and just eat sensibly!

Movablefeast Sat 27-Jan-18 16:00:47

I do not have PCOS so don't know if this is a good combo for that condition but I lose weight by going high on protein and getting carbs from veggies rather than bread, rice, pasta of all kinds. You can have a very filling amount of protein for not many calories:
Fish and veggies, chicken stir fry, steak with onion, mushrooms and asparagus, tofu and veggie Pho soup etc.

I have a high protein shake powder that I whizz up with a large cup of water, half a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, a tablespoon of fiber powder, and ice for breakfast and love it. It stops all hunger pangs till lunchtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now