Talk

Advanced search

'Healthy' eating leading to toilet troubles.

(20 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSqoosh Tue 16-Jan-18 06:36:17

I have an issue.
Every time I start to eat healthy (cut out the junk food, replace with veg and reduce carbs slightly although not to a LCHF way) i have been sticking to 1200 cals a day (just under) but I can't poo! blush
It happens every time and it's uncomfortable and it stalls the scales going down.

I don't even get the urge to go anymore like there's just nothing there! blush

I am drinking a lot of water and I eat a lot of veg some fruit, lean meats and a small amount of grain, hardly any dairy. I don't understand it but I'm at the point of relying on laxatives which I don't think is healthy.

Alittleconcerned1980 Tue 16-Jan-18 07:11:10

Your body is adjusting
How long do you do the diet for before giving up because of the constipation?

If your genuinely eating fresh fruit and veg in a good quantity, your body will catch up and you will start having regular bowel movements

Alittleconcerned1980 Tue 16-Jan-18 07:11:28

“You’re”

Scruffette Tue 16-Jan-18 07:13:23

Dr Stuart's lax plus tea helps. One cup before bedtime.

ReggaetonLente Tue 16-Jan-18 07:17:50

Are you doing any exercise? That will help. Even just a 20 minute walk every day.

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Tue 16-Jan-18 07:28:48

Yes I do the 1,2 or 3 mike walk at home workout at least once a day plus I have an active job.
I will continue because my weight is becoming an issue.
Can I use a mild laxative everyday or a few times a week to keep me going without causing my body to become dependent on it?

ReggaetonLente Tue 16-Jan-18 07:53:52

It does sound like you're doing everything right, as it were. Maybe it's just a case of adjusting - less going in means less will come out? Especially if you don't feel the urge to go.

pitterpatterrain Tue 16-Jan-18 07:55:33

Flaxseed - you can get the ground up stuff, mix in a small spoon with a probiotic drink

BitOutOfPractice Tue 16-Jan-18 07:56:51

Oh lord op this always happens to me too. I wish I knew the answer

CatherineMaitland Tue 16-Jan-18 08:08:27

Happens to me too.

I know it sounds mad when you're on a diet but I find I need to make sure I am eating at least some fat to keep things going.

Threehoursfromhome Tue 16-Jan-18 08:16:14

Same, I think it's partially decreased volume of food, even eating five or more a day; partially dehydration as water weight is lost, and partially - although this may be fanciful - that the reduced calories intake means digestion slows as the body ties to extract every calorie.

I also find that a high fat meal solves the issue, so tend to build one in every now and then.

bowpi Tue 16-Jan-18 08:23:52

Oh, I had this, drink a glass of prune juice if you don't want laxatives. Your body will adjust!

joystir59 Tue 16-Jan-18 08:47:54

When I'm eating the right amount of healthy food I only 'go' once a day. When I overeat I can go up to 4 times a day.

spidey66 Tue 16-Jan-18 11:13:49

Are you drinking enough water?

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Wed 17-Jan-18 06:38:31

I spoke to the pharmacist yesterday who assured me some natural senna tablets would do the trick. 20 hrs later and nothing.

I drink tons. This is mad. I'll buy prunes next.

ppeatfruit Wed 17-Jan-18 11:09:17

Are you eating wholemeal wheat bread? That is known for giving constipation (worse than white).! I eat pure rye or spelt bread much better ! I'm on law carbs too.

Try eating it with a salad rather than with protein too.

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Wed 17-Jan-18 11:54:42

I eat one of the half and half breads when I eat bread which isn't very often at all, maybe once a week for breakfast,
I'm hoping it's just a case of adjusting, maybe in one of those people that don't need to go everyday when healthy.

A brief food diary last 2 days (if anyone's interested)

B - Greek yoghurt w/walnuts and banana or a slice of 50/50 toast w/marmite and a banana.

L - Salmon/tuna/egg/chicken chunks and lots of green salad and an orange or apple if I'm still hungry in the afternoon.

D - Chickpea shwarma (warm salad) or a chilli con carne, I have whatever to Family is having but a smaller portion topped up with extra veg.

I drink water, very weak squash or warm herbal tea. I drink at least 2ltrs a day if not more, I'm quite a thirsty person.

The good thing I, despite my digestive system slowing down, my unexplained episodes of shortness of breath have got a lot better since cutting out the junk and moving more. smile

ppeatfruit Wed 17-Jan-18 12:04:23

Yes eggs are also known to give constipation!. It's good to have plenty of liquids!

Yes to flaxseeds and Evening Primrose oil they help things along. Viridian also do a brilliant 'Digestive" supplement.

FinallyHere Wed 17-Jan-18 12:39:00

In order of effectiveness, from lowest to highest, I skip eggs and eat raw cabbage (coleslaw), spinach and celeriac. Celeriac has never been known to fail. On holiday, a cup of senna pod tea before going to sleep and, for fun, a couple of prunes and a square of dark chocolate.

Im usually quite a happy person, so long as my bowels work every day.

ppeatfruit Wed 17-Jan-18 16:41:15

I LOVE celeriac , I have it instead of potatoes , it's nicer IMO !. Oh god white cabbage\coleslaw is a terrifying senna substitute!!!! I don't eat that at all! Normal green cabbage is lovely though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: