Talk

Advanced search

Couch to 5k

(71 Posts)
chocolatestrawberries Fri 29-Dec-17 04:08:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

user1472377586 Fri 29-Dec-17 04:19:31

I started today as well. Found it very hard.
Am going to repeat W1D1 tomorrow.
Am also trying to improve diet.

Mustang27 Fri 29-Dec-17 05:28:36

Good luck. Yeah you do feel a bit crazy to start with it will pass. Enjoy.

UnderTheStars21 Fri 29-Dec-17 06:01:17

Can I join you started yesterday too. Also going to try and improve my diet was thinking of trying 5::2.

chocolatestrawberries Fri 29-Dec-17 17:14:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beepbeeprichie Sun 31-Dec-17 17:18:59

I just wanted to post as I was part of the couch 2 5k thread on here last year. While I'm far from perfect and also still got a bit to go in terms of weight loss/ toning/ fitness to get to where I want to be, I wanted to tell you how glad I am that I did it. I could actually not have imagined running for 30 mins non stop a year ago (5k is a bit of a con- that took a lot longer to do for me in 30 mins!!). I completed the program, got some confidence, joined SlimmingWorld, started going to exercise classes and running on the treadmill twice a week (ish) to keep my hand in and try to improve speed and distance. The difference in me from 9 months ago is huge. Seeing friends that I've not seen for the best part of a year and getting compliments has been wonderful. I'm going to use the confidence to keep going and in other parts of life. I hope this doesn't come across as boastful- good luck x

UnderTheStars21 Sun 31-Dec-17 23:34:03

Thanks beepbeeprichie that doesn't sound boastful at all. It's lovely to hear your story and all the progress you've made. Keep going hopefully we will all be able to post similar stories next year x

diavlo Wed 03-Jan-18 12:07:33

Can I join in too please?
I did Day 1 last night under cover of darkness in the Park. It was really hard work and my shins were protesting, but I finished and feel really proud of myself!
The plan is to be fit enough to do a Parkrun by Easter and I'll be joining WW next Saturday to hopefully lose weight and improve my health.

Marriageoftrueminds Wed 03-Jan-18 12:12:59

I started yesterday too! Entering my third January feeling fat and hopeless, I’m not going to put up with it any more! Need to lose at least a stone. We can do it!

SomethingAboutNothing Wed 03-Jan-18 20:32:48

Can I join in too please? Did my second run tonight, was really hard but it was easier than the first run which has given me the motivation to keep going. I really hope I manage to keep it up and make positive changes.

diavlo Thu 04-Jan-18 14:32:39

I'm glad to hear that you found the second run easier Something...I've got mine this evening and I'm slightly dreading it!

I've managed over 10,000 steps for the past 2 days so I'm getting there. I'll be joining WW online next Saturday and will do weigh-ins with a colleague when we swap over on a Saturday evening.

SomethingAboutNothing Thu 04-Jan-18 21:18:32

Hope your run went ok diavolo . I can't seem to avoid all the post Xmas goodies still hanging around!

diavlo Fri 05-Jan-18 12:59:34

It wasn't too bad thanks Something, my shins were a lot more comfortable.

We've got quite a bit of festive good hanging around, but I'm not starting WW until next weekend so will get it used up this week.

titsbumfannythelot Sat 06-Jan-18 17:21:07

Which apps are you using?

I'm going to start next week.

Khamiak Sun 07-Jan-18 12:58:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SummerRoberts Mon 08-Jan-18 11:43:33

Hi everyone. I'm starting tonight and I'm actually really looking forward to it.
I've been calorie counting for a week now and have lost 3lbs using my fitness pal.
I need to lose 5 stone, so I have a long road to go.
How are you all getting on with the couch to 5k? I've never run in my life so I just don't know what to expect.

LyraPotter Mon 15-Jan-18 12:09:35

Couch to 5K was life changing for me. No one could have been more of a couch potato than me but I did it! Good luck everyone, you will end up loving it

titsbumfannythelot Tue 16-Jan-18 12:10:03

Good luck @SummerRoberts and that's great to hear@LyraPotter I would start today but it's snowy here today.

BoredOnMatLeave Tue 16-Jan-18 12:37:46

Can I join? How is everyone getting on? I started Sunday morning and did day 2 last night. God it's hard but I do feel really happy when I've completed it! To be honest before I started I wasn't sure I would be able to run for 1 minute. Thinking of signing up for race for life in June as a target

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 18-Jan-18 22:17:34

Can I join too please?! Did day 1 yesterday and felt buzzing after, got day 2 coming up tomorrow.
I used to be able to run, feel really ashamed how unfit I have got. Also quite overweight (bmi 28) but am kind of hoping if I focus on exercise and healthy eating then I can lose the weight gradually without doing any kind of faddy diet, or am I being naive?!

SummerRoberts Mon 22-Jan-18 13:54:17

Starting week three tonight and I'm so pleased I've even got this far. I've never ever run in my life so can't believe myself!

I'm a bit worried about this week as I feel I could do with one more day on week 2, just to feel a bit better with it. 3 minutes of solid running is pretty scary!

Will report back this evening if I make it!!

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 22-Jan-18 14:32:16

How did week 2 go? Am nervous about that! No shame in repeating a day of week 2. Or maybe give it a try and drop back to week 2 for the next run if it’s too much?

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 22-Jan-18 14:32:35

PS well done!

SummerRoberts Mon 22-Jan-18 15:26:05

I do Mon, Weds, Fri and found run 2 on weds the hardest. I wasn't in the mood. I got through it but I found it really hard. Run 3 on Friday was great, I felt like I'd really got into the swing of it. That extra 30 seconds doesn't sound like much does it but it felt like a lot!

I think I'll give week 3 run 1 a go tonight like you say and if I find it just too hard I'm going to do week 2 runs again on Weds and Fri.

Have you finished week 1 now Never? How did you find it? When does week 2 start for you?

BoredOnMatLeave Mon 22-Jan-18 15:43:39

I did W2R1 last night and found it easier than I was expecting. I keep looking at the future weeks and worrying that I will never be able to do them but I guess I need to focus on each run. I also signed up to race for life last week so I have a target.

Has anyone brought proper running trainers? I have trainers and I have no idea if they are meant for running but I'm not getting sore legs like I used to years ago when I would run so I think they must be ok?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: