Talk

Advanced search

Exercise with a newborn

(11 Posts)
Orangeseed Sat 23-Sep-17 19:11:38

After an unhealthy pregnancy I am ready to get fit again, I was bedbound for months with hyperemesis and SPD and I am now 6 weeks post c section.
I was wondering how I can find time to exercise?! I am already walking for around an hour a day with the buggy and active around the house cleaning etc, I would love to swim but have no one to watch the baby. Has anyone ever taken a 6 week old to the gym? I'm wondering if it would be OK to work out while he sleeps in his car seat beside me? Would a gym allow that? Obviously only if he was asleep and settled.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't have space at home for exercise (or much spare money e.g for a personal trainer)
Thanks in advance

fieryme Sat 23-Sep-17 19:16:32

I highly doubt a gym would let you take in a newborn.
Pramercise is great, do you have any classes in your area?

fieryme Sat 23-Sep-17 19:17:35

You could download the MINDBODY app, and search for the class

starsinyourpies Sat 23-Sep-17 19:20:10

Crèche at my gym takes them from 4 weeks. I did swimming in between feeds building up to running. I LOVED having an hour to myself.

TheChineseChicken Sat 23-Sep-17 19:20:15

Buggyfit classes can be good but do just be aware that the trainers often aren't properly qualified so may have you doing things you shouldn't

Ummmmgogo Sat 23-Sep-17 19:20:26

do you have any of those gyms in the park near you? you could leave your baby in the pram and work out there but I think an indoor gym would complain of you brought your baby with you sorry.

Orangeseed Sat 23-Sep-17 19:27:08

There aren't any gyms with a crèche in the area ( I wish there were) I didn't think baby would be allowed in the gym, I was just clinging to a bit of hope really as during school holidays I have seen children at the back of spinning classes playing on iPads while mums worked out (probably about 5-10 years in age range).
About half an hour drive away I can find an outdoor bootcamp run by an ex marine but worried it might be too intense 6 weeks post section😕

Ummmmgogo Sat 23-Sep-17 19:29:36

www.tgogc.com/Gyms/

this is what I meant. bootcamp sounds too extreme to my mind, but I would never willingly do a bootcamp!

gruber Sat 23-Sep-17 19:29:57

Boot camp is probably too intense. Why not see if there is a Parkrun nearby? They allow buggies, you can walk or run or jog it as you feel able. Then you could build up your walking to running.

Thataintnoetchasketch Sat 23-Sep-17 19:34:50

There are no gyms near me with crèches but I recently found an exercise class run in one of the local church halls which has two sessions a week with a crèche included. It wasn't well advertised so maybe worth asking on a local mums FB group to see what other people do?

Nolim Sat 23-Sep-17 20:07:22

I used to go to a "mums with buggies" fitness class. Definitely recommend it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: