Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge diet

(19 Posts)
Laineymc7 Sat 09-Sep-17 18:16:25

Hi all. I'm starting this diet on Monday and have a consultant coming to my house tomorrow. Have any of you done it? What were the results like? Was it hard? I have 2 and a half stone to lose. Hoping to lose it by December for my brothers wedding. This seems strict but easy to follow. Any advice or tips Would be much appreciated. Many thanks x

CremeDeSudo Mon 11-Sep-17 08:23:06

I lost 4.5 st on Cambridge about 3 hrs ago. I've put 2 back on. I have 2 friends who have lost c11st on it!

On average you're looking at about a stone a month.

It's really hard for the first 3 days but becomes strangely easy after that when you go into ketosis. I liked that there were no options so no thinking.

It's by no means a lifestyle though so if you go back to your previous habits you'll put it all back on. It also messes with your metabolism so it'll likely go back on quicker too.

Laineymc7 Mon 11-Sep-17 14:24:54

Thanks for your advice. I've never been much of a yoyo dieter. I'm only 5 foot 1. I was always 8 and a half stone before I had my daughter in 2015. After the birth my weight stayed at 10 stone. At the start of this year I had my son and my weight is now 11 stone. I really want to lose the weight and fit into my clothes. I know it's drastic I'm hoping to not be on the first step for more than a couple of months and hoping to maintain my weight once I get it off. Or even use it to kick start my weight loss and then go onto the 5:2 or low carb. That's amazing that you lost so much on it.

sanasa Mon 11-Sep-17 14:27:13

I did it and lost 2 stone doing step 2.
Then followed weight watchers and kept it all off.
Hard but worth it I think, just costly!
Good luck.

Laineymc7 Mon 11-Sep-17 14:54:57

Thanks so much that's a really postivie story. I'm on day one and it's going well so far. I know once it's off I'll have to work hard to maintain it. I hope the weight loss just keeps me going. I have my partner going it with me so I've got some Moral support. The hard bit will be preparing the kids food and throwing in the bin what's not finished.

sanasa Mon 11-Sep-17 15:10:56

Just drink lots. That helped lots with craving for food x

OrangePeels Mon 11-Sep-17 15:18:32

I lost 28lb in 9 weeks. It all went back on and loads of my hair fell out. It was very hard for 4 days then got quite easy.

I honestly think it's best to lose weight more slowly I feel you want to keep it off.

Laineymc7 Mon 11-Sep-17 17:21:44

Thanks for the tip will keep on the water.

I do believe you are right orangepeels. I just feel I need something where I see results to keep me motivated and it's only 12 weeks to my brothers wedding.

sweetheart Thu 14-Sep-17 17:00:51

I have done it 3 or 4 times - always as a quick fix before something and always put the weight back on (if not more). Same as another woman I work with. We have both vowed never to do it again because it doesn't work long term.

titsandgiggles Thu 14-Sep-17 18:33:01

I lost a stone in three weeks. It all went back on, and more. But that's because I went back to previous eating habits, because Cambridge doesn't teach you how to eat properly.

The products made me want to vomit; I craved 'normal' food. They were all so foul. I'll get flamed for this next bit but I don't give a shit - my consultant was also grossly overweight. Probably morbidly so. Obviously I couldn't care less what size people are but when they're telling you how great a diet is...I was a bit hmm Also the £60/week was not sustainable for me.

I've been on Slimming World for five months and lost nearly three stone. My eating habits have totally changed and I've never, ever felt as good as I do now. I've maintained over the summer (intentionally) and just about to shift the last few pounds. It's been a game changer for me. But different strokes for different folks and all that.

If you do decide to give Cambridge a go then you will definitely see results. It's just making them into a long term change that is the hard bit.

Laineymc7 Sat 16-Sep-17 15:11:39

This diet was such a stupid idea. I have low blood presure and ended up in hospital because all my salt and sugar level were very seriously messed up. I had a seizure and mu dp had to call
An ambulance very scary. I'd never do something like That again healthy eating and exercise for
Me from now on x

OctoberOctober Wed 04-Oct-17 20:35:10

Crikey Laine, sorry to hear that, sounds really bad.

I've just started today on step 2. So far ok but hoping I can stick to it.

Laineymc7 Thu 05-Oct-17 04:53:00

October October. Thanks. Yes it was a big shock for my partner he found me on the kitchen floor and had to call an ambulance. I can't recall any of it. I had a seizure at home and at hospital. The blood tests showed I had no magnesium, no sodium and no phosphates in my body. This can cause seizures. Thankfully our kids were in bed. I ended up having to stay in hospital for 24 hours and was on lots of drips. I'm fine now but would not recommend this sort of diet to someone again. They recommend you don't exercise on it which I didn't but as a busy mum of two under two I'm always on my feet.
I know it works for some and what happened me is rare. Good luck to you and hope you get on ok. Any dizziness or severe headaches I'd come off it.

amusedbush Thu 05-Oct-17 11:54:12

I lost three stone in ten weeks last year. I gained a chunk of that back and have since re-lost it through healthy eating and exercise and I can't believe how much smaller I am than I was at the same weight via Cambridge. I'm a dress size smaller, I've done down another back size in my bra and I'm more toned all over.

So, yes, I lost weight on it but it left me looking stocky and flabby sad

amusedbush Thu 05-Oct-17 11:55:25

Holy shit, I just saw that you were really ill on the diet. Sorry, I should have read every post. I'm so sorry, that sounds awful.

It's not a diet that works for everyone, it's really extreme and I personally feel like it needs to be a medical necessity.

Laineymc7 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:19:40

Ambushed bush thank you. Well done on losing the weight your own way. i think anyone who wants to go on the Cambridge should see a doctor before hand and get their bloods etc taken. It certainly is extreme. I lost half a stone in 5 days and my dp lost a stone.

OctoberOctober Fri 06-Oct-17 11:43:37

Gosh, that sounds awful, I hope you have made a full recovery. I thought the products were supposed to be nutritionally balanced so that you got all the vits etc that you need?

I'm on step 2.5 as I'm calling it grin. 3 products a day with a decent dinner - I reckon I'm doing more like 400cal there than the 200 cal per step 2. But it means I can eat a vaguely normal dinner with the other half which I really value.

Anyone else currently doing it?

PoptartPoptart Fri 06-Oct-17 12:53:14

I agree with Creme - it really can screw up your metabolism.
I developed severe indigestion and IBS after being on this diet. I still suffer now, four years later.
I know it's appealing because it's a 'quick fix' but honestly it is not good for your body to lose weight at such a rapid rate (and often putting it straight back on).
Sensible healthy eating and exercise is the only way imo.

Laineymc7 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:32:55

October October they are meant to be nutrionally balanaced but I'm not so sure as I ended up being deficient in a number of things which are vital for body functioning. Just be careful if you ever feel dizzy etc or not right come of it.
To be honest I've swapped to porridge/fruit for breakfast and salad with protein for lunch and protein with a full plate of veg for dinner and I'm still losing week and feel much healthier.
Pop tart sorry you are still suffering from
It. I agree with you healthy eating and exercise although it takes longer is the best way. I was only on it 5 days so hopefully no long term effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now