Talk

Advanced search

What are your best mantras for sticking to diet /exercise regime?

(15 Posts)
sweetbitter Sun 09-Jul-17 10:19:46

I love little mantras I can use in moments of weakness when I feel like I CBA to make good choices or do a workout. My favourites are:

Everything you want is outside your comfort zone
(this is one for when I feel like giving up during a workout)

There's nothing wrong with being a bit hungry for an hour or two
(this is one to avoid snacking before a meal, I'm terrible for eating something an hour or so before dinner because I feel like I can't wait when actually I can)

A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips (oldie but a goodie, helps me resist biscuits and things being passed round at work which will taste good for about 30s then just leave me wishing I hadn't eaten it for the next hour)

Just do it
(I use the Nike slogan to get myself to do a workout even when I'm not in the mood)

I need more mantras to keep me going and help make healthy eating and exercise habits into a way of life for me: please share yours!

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Sun 09-Jul-17 10:24:49

Eat shit, feel shit.

Eat well, feel well.

pudding24 Sun 09-Jul-17 10:33:27

"We are what we repeatedly do." For reminding me in every good choice I make, I'm breaking bad habits and forming new ones smile

MrsDesperado Sun 09-Jul-17 15:01:45

"How you spend your days is how you spend you life"

MrsDesperado Sun 09-Jul-17 15:01:53

*your

FrankChurchillshairdresser Sun 09-Jul-17 15:05:17

I can and I will!

delilahbucket Sun 09-Jul-17 15:09:23

The "insert name of food that is packed with saturated fat" will still be available to buy tomorrow. For days when I know I've eaten enough and don't need anymore food. Invariably I never eat it the next day either.

millifiori Sun 09-Jul-17 15:23:35

I ask myself: 'What you want now or what you want most?' Now is usually something from the DCs snack cupboard. Most is being slim and healthy.

I also prefer positive reinforcement over critical comments. So I like affirmations such as: I love being healthy. Or I love the buzz of exercise. Or I love the feeling of my muscles toning.

And the best Just Do It one is: You don't have to want to do it to do it. When I remind myself that want plays no part in exercising I get off my sofa more often.

millifiori Sun 09-Jul-17 15:24:34

MrsDesperado - I like that one.

TaggySits Sun 09-Jul-17 15:25:49

Time to stop eating like a pig and start sweating like a pig. 🐷

PastysPrincess Sun 09-Jul-17 15:25:54

Is the pleasure of this food now enough to make up for the disappointment of not losing weight later.

sweetbitter Sun 09-Jul-17 15:35:15

These are all great! I especially like yours pudding, as what I struggle with is whether I am really the sort of person who can regulate my eating in the long term or not...but I am what I do repeatedly! I just need to repeat it enough.

BahHumbygge Sun 09-Jul-17 16:59:34

Just Eat Real Food.

Bar a few herbs/spices I don't eat anything with an ingredients list, or anything that's undergone substantive processing/extraction like industrial vegetable oils, flour or sugar.

Movablefeast Sun 09-Jul-17 23:52:18

What you eat in secret you wear in public.

MrsDesperado Mon 10-Jul-17 14:59:15

Yes it's good isn't it millifiori

I like your one Moveable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now