Talk

Advanced search

Help! I've actually forgotten how to eat well!!

(3 Posts)
Trulymadlymotherly Sun 02-Jul-17 09:14:45

For background I've been fat most of my adult life but at various junctures have had things better under control. I have a shocking relationship with food and definitely eat as a way of managing anxiety/dealing with stress/relaxing/picking my mood up etc

I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and lost a lot of weight low carbing but as a way of life I find that really tough if there's not the added incentive of keeping the baby well. I work shifts so meal times are erratic and I have a husband and 2 kids so meals need to be appropriate for them too.

I would really like to have my kids grow up thinking of food differently to me. I remember my mum as always on a diet and demonising certain foods and commenting on choices/body size and shape etc.

I think I'm lost in the quagmire of low carb vs low calorie vs low fat. Help me???!!

DreichAgain Sun 02-Jul-17 13:32:36

Plenty of veg, cooked and raw is a good starting point.

Eat fat but eat some oily fish, nuts,seeds and avocados for preference. Overall think of choosing nutrient rich foods over empty calories.

I try to go by main meals red meat once or twice a week, fish twice, poultry once, vegetarian once or twice. The non veggy meals may have beans or lentils in - they are a great way of feeling fuller.

Kids don't need restricted carbs but you know that! I am trying to lose a spare tyre as I can't exercise much nowadays. I just have a small portion of carbs on my plate whereas the kids and active DH get a big load!

Do you know the tricks about feeling fuller for longer with blended soup rather than a solid meal with gravy? Also eat fruit but don't drink juices.

Moving after eating helps even out your blood sugar so it's a good time to go for a walk or to tidy up with a bit of vigour! Acidic food helps your blood sugar too, so I have a squeeze of lemon or some vinegar on my dinner.

I tried low carbing briefly but couldn't manage it at all!
You clearly have greater reserves of willpower than I can muster!

OldBooks Sun 02-Jul-17 13:35:20

Have a look at the low carb bootcamp threads, we are a very friendly and supportive bunch and there are a few who have been sustaining it for years without deprivation. The key is to increase the amount of good fats you eat to replace the carbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now