Talk

Advanced search

Sugar free

(12 Posts)
runningtogetskinny Tue 27-Jun-17 20:15:40

I'm considering trying to give up sugar to help me shed a stone. This is probably a stupid question but does anyone know if this includes wine? I don't drink much but I like a glass on Saturday night, don't think I could quit sugar AND wine confused

Bodypumpaddict Wed 28-Jun-17 06:48:32

I am on day 22 of NS!
Yes initially you should give up wine, but after the first month IQS says a glass of red wine 3/4 nights a week is fine.

runningtogetskinny Wed 28-Jun-17 08:37:56

Thanks bodypump I'll try and give it up for as long as possible, did you also give up fruit or just added sugars?

honeyroar Wed 28-Jun-17 10:12:55

I'm six months on, and have lost 23lbs so far. I've had the occasional drink and treat and lost regularly. I think a glass or two at the weekend is fine if you've been healthy on your eating all week.

I've given up fruit juice - I eat tons of fruit, but whole fruit. I've not cutdown on carbs either. Look at the I quit sugar Facebook page if you can, it has useful tips on the questions and answers but (no need to join).

Bodypumpaddict Wed 28-Jun-17 10:21:02

Personally I think you need to give up fruit to begin with, in order to reset your taste buds. But then you can reintroduce as a treat after a few weeks.

The is the second time I have done it. I've not lost any weight so far but I feel so much lighter & brighter. The first time I did it (before DD was born) I lost a lot of fat. I'm sticking with it though. Good luck!

Bodypumpaddict Wed 28-Jun-17 10:22:56

Also you need to make sure you give up white rice/ white bread/ flour. Your body treats these as if they're sugar. Not sure how the science works - I did know but have forgotten. Try Robert Ludwig for some reading, and I found 'A Year Without Sugar' motivated me too.

Bodypumpaddict Wed 28-Jun-17 10:33:16

Oh ... sorry... another thing...
This time I have found quitting alcohol has helped me stick to no sugar- both in terms of evening snacks and hangover cravings the next day.
Sorry for all my posts blush

runningtogetskinny Wed 28-Jun-17 10:34:58

Thanks honey and bodypump I don't eat white bread, rice or pasta so fine there. I don't drink fruit juice either, I work shifts and have to eat meals with the young people I work with so sometimes options are limited and fruit is the only healthy food around! I'll give it my best shot, need something to kick start my motivation. Btw, I just did a bodypump class before work, your username motivated me wink

Bodypumpaddict Wed 28-Jun-17 10:45:13

grin that's awesome!

honeyroar Wed 28-Jun-17 20:19:02

I felt like if I gave up fruit and too much carb etc I'd fall off the wagon. Compared to people at work who did it "hardcore" I haven't had headaches or other issues. I was a major chocolate addict too. Right from the start I've eaten at least five portions of fruit a day. It's worked for me, I don't find myself remotely tempted anymore.

runningtogetskinny Wed 28-Jun-17 22:38:44

Honey that's great, well done! I'm feeling positive if I can still have some fruit

Magicpaintbrush Fri 30-Jun-17 19:47:32

I would like to give up sugar but I just can't seem to do it :-(. I am so addicted to it (and diet coke which has no sugar but will ruin my teeth in the end).

Does anybody have any suggestions of foods/recipes which are free of refined sugar but could be eaten as a snack or pudding - other than fruit I mean? I'm not keen on sugar free jelly (or any jelly unless it's part of a trifle!)

I can't find anything in the supermarket so I'm wondering if there is anything home-made I could make myself?

I'm struggling with an obssession with thortons mini caramel and chocolate shortcake bites and can't seem to stop eating them :-(

I would love to be able to offer my dd some yummy sugar-free snacks without her realising they are healthy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now