Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please give me a kick up my now rather ample behind

(5 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 05-Jun-17 12:29:18

For the last couple of years I've realised that my weight had been creeping up, clothes are a bit tighter, I'm having to suck in my tummy for photos etc but I've been kidding myself it's not too bad..,

Today I weighed myself for the first time in ages and am horrified to find that I'm nearly 12 stone and for the first time in my life am now officially overweight

I'm early 50s, not yet menopausal (so I can't even blame it on that) and eat less than everyone else in my family (who are all stick thin). I average 15-16,000 steps a day, 20,000+ at weekends and cycle when it's short distances. I'm vegetarian and don't eat cheese as I'm on a low-salt diet for Menieres. I can't run anymore as I have severe arthritis on my kneecap ...

I just need to eat vegetable soup and salad for the rest of my life don't I? (sigh)

Emmie412 Mon 05-Jun-17 12:45:42

If I were you, I would calculate an average day's calories, not forgetting liquids and alcohol.

Juices, fruit smoothies, nuts, nut butters, sprinkles of chia seeds, avocados etc and alcohol pack a surprising amount of calories in your diet and don't even always fill you up - good example of this a smoothie.

I can have the same amount of calories in a bowl of porridge and rye bread with two scrambled eggs on top with the exception that the latter keeps me full and the former not so. The difference of course being protein.

Maybe post a list of a typical day's foods.

fishonabicycle Mon 05-Jun-17 16:08:13

Just weight and track everything you eat for a while ... It may surprise you. I found my eating was erratic - I'd have a day and eat 800 cals, then eat loads the following day. Consistency helped a lot. I'm 52, lost about 6kg last year (eating 1600 cals per day of decent food) and haven't put it back on a year later. Have happily maintained at about 46-47 kg (I am a small person!). I eat plenty and can factor in the odd drink or home made scone ...

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 05-Jun-17 16:12:00

Thanks - I don't drink juice or smoothies and have very little alcohol (one drink two or three times a week at most). I only drink tea, herbal tea or water.

I think my meals are fine, it's snacks which are my downfall and there's always sodding cake in the office (grrr)

Today I've had two weetabix, a handful of strawberries and a splash of milk; homemade vegetable and bean soup for lunch followed by 2 satsumas, four cups of tea, several glasses of water and then another satsuma this afternoon. Dinner tonight will be a selection of salads.

RubyWinterstorm Mon 05-Jun-17 16:21:37

I feel your pain!

Am 46, and have just tipped over the 12 stone mark which meant I had quite a lecture form my GP about gaining weight sad when I went for my annual pill check.

(I am 6ft, I guess you must be quite tall as well?)

She said I need to do more exercise, but I do loads!

I don't fancy being hungry for the rest of my life.

Also, and I know this is frowned upon, but I don't think I am/look fat.

Still, I need to change my mindset and accept that if the doc says I need to lose weight, I do (but I wear size 12 clothes and am 6 ft, and just don't SEE the fat....)

On the other hands some people say BMI is not brilliant of you're tall and sporty...are you?

I am trying to eat more healthily (more tomatoes and melon, veg in general. Less biscuits), which is actually enjoyable. I love veg and salads, it's just so much work compared to a biscuit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now