Talk

Advanced search

If you are a parent and work full time when / how do you exercise?

(20 Posts)
daimbar Wed 31-May-17 19:07:59

I leave the house at 7am so exercise before work isn't going to happen.
Work is either a 45 minute drive away or 1 hour if I get the train - I choose the train so at least I can walk 10 mins to the station.
I work on a soulless estate by a main road, no park to walk around at lunch time.
There's a tempting, subsidised staff canteen which doesn't help and I tend to only take 1/2 hour lunch so I can leave early.
Get home by around 6pm and have 1.5 hours to spend time with DD before she goes to bed. Is there any exercise I could feasibly do with a 2 year old in this time that won't get her over exciteud?

By 7.30pm I know I should exercise but by this time I'm tired and hungry and have zero motivation! And I want to say hello to DP.
What do other working parents do?

Mustwearahat Wed 31-May-17 19:09:06

I'm lucky enough to control my own timetable, so I start later one day a week - 11 am, and go for a run after drop-off at 8.30

Sunnie1984 Wed 31-May-17 19:09:40

One of us exercises 7-8pm while the other one does bedtime. (Assuming we are both around)

Then at weekends if we have done enough in the week.

Missanneshirley Wed 31-May-17 19:11:16

I do it in the morning when I can, but I leave later than you so it's easier than me.
Failing that I go out at 9pm (tend to run) - after DCs in bed, but it's not the most appealing time and sometimes I have work on so I can't go then.
Are weekend mornings an option for you? My dh works very random shifts so i cobble together a combination of all of the above - it's not ideal!

daimbar Wed 31-May-17 19:17:33

Sunnie who cooks dinner if you are doing bedtime / exercise until 8? Or do you eat late or just have something quick?

Weekends I can generally do a quick run or bike ride but once a week doesn't feel enough and the weight is creeping on.

NickMarlow Wed 31-May-17 19:19:03

I only work part time but dh works full time and we have a 2year old so I can only go out if he's home. I'm doing couch to 5k. I try to run at 7:30 before he leaves for work once or twice a week, and do the others after bedtime. I started in Feb, it's a lot easier now it's light for so much longer!

bluejelly Wed 31-May-17 19:20:04

I have started running at 9:30pm. So get home at 7, quickly have a light dinner. By 9/9:30 I don't feel full any more. Have a 30 min run then shower and bed. That's the only way I get to exercise in the week! But if your dc are young it requires someone to be home when you're running.

thuslyitwas Wed 31-May-17 19:20:06

I usually go to gym a couple of times a week at lunchtime, parkrun on sat morning, dog walking most mornings/evenings. Always knackered

OSETmum Thu 01-Jun-17 08:42:28

I do Insanity on the computer straight after putting ds to bed, so about half 7-8. I do the Max30 one so it's only half an hour, otherwise dh complains that he doesn't see me in the evenings 😂.

Howdoichangethis Thu 01-Jun-17 12:53:53

I can't manage to either. DH leaves around 6.15am and then I'm out the door with our DTD's at 7.20am and then I get back home with them at 6.15pm. They wake at 5am so by the time in the evening we've done bedtime and sorted out all I want to do is sit and stare at the wall!

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Thu 01-Jun-17 12:56:07

I work 4 days. I get up at 6, throw on gym gear and go to the gym on the way to work. I joined one I have to drive past anyway.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Thu 01-Jun-17 13:02:13

DH does 45 minutes of exercise every evening after he's told DD a bedtime story. Either I cook or he pops out to the kitchen between cross-trainer and weights to put something in the oven. I could perfectly well go for a run or do a DVD at the same time, but I'm knackered and can't be arsed by then, so I only do it in the mornings when I'm working from home.

badgerread Thu 01-Jun-17 13:03:08

I'm a single Mum working full time. I do Joe Wicks HIIT in front of the TV three times a week, a long road ride every other weekend when DC's are with their Dad, a 2.5hr yoga classonce a week when my Mum stays over. I sometimes run with the kids on their bikes as soon as I get in at 6pm!

areyoubeingserviced Sat 03-Jun-17 16:17:39

I wake up at 5 am five times a week to do insanity or Callanetics

missmapp Sat 03-Jun-17 16:37:19

I work full time and have two dcs

I do the park run on a Saturday with ds1, I get up at half 6 on a sunday and go for a long run. In the week, I leave for work at half six and home by 6pm. I go for 40min run on a Monday evening after the dcs are in bed and go to circuits on a tuesday. Sometimes I fit in another evening run during the week, but not lways. I like running because I just leave the house and go , no faffing about getting to the gym etc.

PollyPelargonium52 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:09:33

I thought it was only me left on the planet who remembers Callanetics lol.

NamedyChangedy Sun 04-Jun-17 09:15:23

I used to exercise in the evenings after the DCs were in bed. Either exercise videos (fitnessblender.com mostly) with weights at home, or a quick 5k. But I found that it wasn't helping my sleep - by the time I'd cooled down, had a shower and dinner and then some 'me-time' it was really late.

I've now started exercising in the morning at a gym that opens early, so I can be back and showered before they wake up (sometimes - DS1 is an early riser). I'm not a morning person but somehow I feel better for having done it. I manage that 4-5 days a week.

ButtonLoon Sun 04-Jun-17 09:22:29

I cycle to work but it sounds like that's not an option for you. sad

DrMadelineMaxwell Sun 04-Jun-17 15:20:22

I'd love to cycle to work. It's not too far away to do it, but I'm not confident on the roads and I'd arrive looking like a hot, sweaty mess. No facilities for washing once at work and then I'm busy in my classroom all day. Not a good combination.

I get in about half 5-6. Have never, ever been able to sacrifice sleep for exercise unlike my sister who used to to it at half 5am! No thanks.

So I go to a local exercise class once a week (and am looking to increase that frequency!) and go for a short walk with the kids on another evening. I also have an exercise bike and a stepper machine so can hop on and just do a little bit if, by the evening, I'm below my 10K steps for the day.

beela Sun 04-Jun-17 16:39:00

Could you get a bike seat and go for a ride with dd? One with lots of hills??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now