Talk

Advanced search

How to beat chocolate cravings?

(15 Posts)
DaisyChaining Mon 29-May-17 14:14:16

It's a rainy bank holiday Monday and I'm snuggled on the sofa with my DD. I'm majorly stressed with a range of stuff. Am just craving a big pile of chocolate and sweets to munch through while we watch a film. Debating whether we should both trek to the shop in the rain. It's literally like an addiction (hVe struggled with addictions before). The craving is immense blush has anyone beaten it before? How? I have a couple of stone to lose and I won't be able to the amount of sweet shit I eat.

Earlybird Mon 29-May-17 14:52:02

I'd be interested to hear a solution to this also.

When I feel the need to munch/crunch, I try to eat carrot batons (maybe dipped in a bit of hummus), a bit of salted popcorn, some almonds, or sugar fee chewing gum.

But, not sure how good a recommendation that is, as I have a couple of stone to lose also! grin

Whyhellodaffodil Mon 29-May-17 15:02:00

Something savoury? Marmite/piece of cheese?

DonkeyOaty Mon 29-May-17 15:19:47

Go clean your teeth and drink a couple of glasses of water.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 29-May-17 15:24:44

Apparently the smell of vanilla essence takes away a chocolate craving. Not sure if it works though!

VanillaLatteAndCake Mon 29-May-17 15:27:59

Completely following this. I however, have succumbed to my cravings and bought a large bag of Minstrels. (only £1!)
If I have a craving for chocolate, I cannot escape it. I might be able to put it off for a couple of days but the craving will remain. The only way I can get rid of it, is to eat some chocolate. Not helpful I know!

VanillaLatteAndCake Mon 29-May-17 15:30:21

Actually, one tip I do have is to allow yourself some chocolate/sweets but a small portion. Eg. have a mini MilkyWay. Should help satisfy the craving and you don't need to feel too guilty. (must follow my own advice...!)

Earlybird Mon 29-May-17 16:22:32

Someone advised me that a small square of really good, rich dark chocolate will satisfy a craving, whereas a big piece of cheap milk chocolate won't.

So, quality vs quantity....maybe worth trying out that theory....

Cherryflamingo Mon 29-May-17 16:25:33

I just build it into my calorie allowance, I couldn't go without. My favourite are ice cream mars bars which are only 140 calories each. A treat size bag of buttons is about 80 cals.

reup Mon 29-May-17 16:26:19

If you put dark chocolate in squares in the freezer you can't munch it so are forced to suck it so it takes a bit longer. One square might take away yr craving (or might kick start it!

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Mon 29-May-17 16:26:56

Apparently a lot of choccy cravings are due to a magnesium deficiency! I still have a few small squares of really good %80 dark chocolate and that does the trick.

toffeeboffin Mon 29-May-17 16:29:46

You need protein and fat. Cheese is perfect, you won't need much.

msrisotto Mon 29-May-17 16:32:58

Don't deny yourself. Postpone it. Say you'll have the thing you're craving another day. It actually really helps me.

Pomegranatepompom Mon 29-May-17 19:02:21

Try a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Dowhatmakesyouhappy1212 Fri 02-Jun-17 18:05:55

I know this is an old thread but I was the same I was all or nothing

I could never just have one chocolate and going cold turkey killed me until I read in a magazine about swapping to dark choc

At first I was t keen but after the first week (eating a few squares every day when I got the sugar rush) the cravings melted away and now all I eat is dark choc and I only crave it once a week

So it's not only healthier but it's stopped me snacking so much
Hope this helps xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now